PDA

View Full Version : Sierra-1 With Yamaha RX-V861

kcroyalsfan
05-31-2008, 04:22 AM
I ran the auto setup on my Yamaha RX-V861 and it set the crossover at 40 Hz and the speaker size as large. I have five Sierra-1 speakers and an STF-2 sub. I found these settings to be odd, as it seems most are setting the crossover at 80 Hz. Should I change the settings? If so should the speaker size be set to small? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

debo
05-31-2008, 06:53 AM
I never have faith in auto setup. Five Sierra-1's nice! I would set them all as small and set the crossover at 60hz then confirm the distance settings to your listening position sweet spot. Get a SPL meter and calibrate with the receivers test tones or a calibration disc (my preference). Then sit back and enjoy!

curtis
05-31-2008, 08:16 AM
I feel the exact same way as Jeff does about the use of auto-setup features of various receivers and pre/pros.

MichaelG
05-31-2008, 08:42 AM
I have found a 50hz crossover for front right and left to give me better punch for music. That could be a statement around my subwoofer but its all a matter of personal preference. I have my center set at 80 but haven't tried other adjustments.

Michael

blindcat7
05-31-2008, 02:20 PM
5 Sierras. Niiice.

I've noticed that on a lotof threads where people discuss their use of various auto setups that it seems to be almost standard procedure to use the setup and then correct the speaker size settings and often the crossover as well. The setting for the Sierras is not actually incorrect, they are more than capable of using a 40 Hz crossover and doing just fine. But even with speakers that do great at very low frequencies, it is usually better to set the speakers to small and set a higher crossover than the speakers are capable of handling. This takes a lot of the workload off of the speakers, puts the load on the sub which is optimized for the lower frequencies, and is generally considered better for home theater. The main reason I think that you see 80 Hz as the crossover of choice is that it is usually considered the optimum HT crossover. I believe, though I may be wrong, that it is the crossover setting suggested by THX for home theater.

Chris

I ran the auto setup on my Yamaha RX-V861 and it set the crossover at 40 Hz and the speaker size as large. I have five Sierra-1 speakers and an STF-2 sub. I found these settings to be odd, as it seems most are setting the crossover at 80 Hz. Should I change the settings? If so should the speaker size be set to small? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

kcroyalsfan
06-01-2008, 03:13 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. They were most helpful. I picked up an SPL meter and tried the crossover at 60 and 80 with the speakers set to small. I ended up at 80 which now sounds great for movies. As I was playing with the settings, I found out that the the receiver has a pure direct mode for music which eliminates the sub and lets the speakers do their thing. This produced the sound I was looking on music. Thanks again.

MJ

DougMac
06-02-2008, 06:44 AM
5 Sierras. Niiice.
The main reason I think that you see 80 Hz as the crossover of choice is that it is usually considered the optimum HT crossover. I believe, though I may be wrong, that it is the crossover setting suggested by THX for home theater.

Chris
Yes 80 hz is the recommended THX crossover frequency. Why 80 hz? This is what I've read:

Research as been done to determine the highest frequency sound is perceived as non-directional. Many of those tested could not determine directionality at 120 hz, others could detect directionality at 100 hz. Out of all tested, 80 hz was the highest frequency at which no test subjects could determine directionality, therefore this was the frequency selected by THX as the crossover point for ".1".

Notice the determination was made with no consideration to equipment used for audio reproduction, as it should be. I'm not sure that 80 hz could be considered the optimum HT crossover in every instance. It's probably the "safest" crossover frequency, one that can be used with some assurance that speakers and subwoofers will make a fairly smooth transition. In individual circumstances measurement and experimentation may find other crossover points give better results.

Doug