PDA

View Full Version : monoblocks

bikeman
03-07-2004, 11:47 AM
I have a very close friend who has two French monoblocks that cost more than my home theatre AND my car put together and he's thrilled with his purchase. One cavet. He claims to hear the mailman from three blocks away. :-> It's just one of those things that someone else can't tell you if it's worth the cash. If mono's are your cup o' tea, $299. is almost too good to pass up.
If ya try em, you must post a review.

David

Gregisme
03-07-2004, 01:03 PM
I remember a month ago, there was a guy on the AVSforum who suggested those for someone who was seeking advice on setting up a system. I forget what the initial criteria was, but he suggested an HK 230 receiver and 2-3 Outlaw monoblocks. The receiver had enough processing gizmos, and a decent amp to power 2 rear speakers, or 2 rears and a center.

Then, the 2 monoblocks would power the fronts, or 3 if including the center. The recommendation giver thought that this was an outstanding bang-for-the-buck scenario, allowing a path for future growth too.

Coming from a newbie perspective, with little audio sophistication, I've been wrestling with this idea. Why not just get a solid 2 or 3 channel amp, saving an extra cord or two of clutter and needed addt'l outlet space? Are monos going to sound that much better on a mid hifi system? Are they cutting down on a little more on heat output by seperating them in this way?

I don't think Outlaws offer a 2 or 3 channel amp, but the common wisdom seems to be that buying amps used is the smart choice for achieving upgraded quality at a reasonable price. Perhaps similar value as the Outlaws can be achieved by getting a higher-priced amp used?

This is probably more of a question, than advice really. Sorry if I've muddied the waters for you!

curtis
03-08-2004, 01:28 AM
I think the question is, just how good are these inexpensive monoblocks? I do not know the answer.

You can definitely get used two or three channel amps for the same cost.

-curtis
http://www.danasoft.com/sig/AscendForum.jpg

Mag_Neato
03-09-2004, 05:05 AM
You could always check out the Outlaw's Hideout(forum)and post questions in the 200 monoblock thread! I think the advantage of going with the Outlaw would be a new amp with full warranty at a manufacturer-to-consumer price advantage, like Ascend, HSU, etc....

Good luck!

MAG

Lou-the-dog
03-09-2004, 07:43 AM
I think I'll post over there and see what their take is on the M200. Using a 2 channel amp would be an excellent option too- any recomendations along this line? I'm not sure what the advantages really are to the monoblocks other than when one says "separates" it doesn't get much "separate-er" than that. I suppose they have their own religous following. Used would be a good option for me. This would be more of an experiment than anything and I really don't want to sell the farm for something that might not sound any better than my 3803. I enjoy listening to my Ascends in 2 channel so much that any "amp-upgrade-itis" would be channeled towards that.

Randy

Derek
03-09-2004, 08:52 AM
Gee, I wonder what the outlaws will say... [:D] Those guys might be even more fanatical than the 123 guys. They just seem to keep to themselves... [:)]

I have thought about getting a few of the monoblock to run the front channels. However it kinda bugs me that I need to run a trigger to turn the amps on. Why can't they just put an auto on circuit in?

If you do decide to pursue this, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Derek

P.S. I just realized that we don't have a rolling eyes smilie. Can it be added?

Lou-the-dog
03-09-2004, 09:34 PM
Derek,
I went over to the "saloon" last night to get registered. I noticed the M200 had an auto-on circuit.

Randy

Derek
03-09-2004, 11:20 PM
Randy,

Thanks for the info! I must have missed that.

Derek

Lou-the-dog
03-11-2004, 08:40 AM
Pretty dead over at the "Saloon." I posted yesterday and no takers yet. Maybe they're all out robbin' banks and just haven't returned. Oh well, bein' as they're gone I think I'll just mosey on over an' pay a little 'tention to Miss Kitty before they all come ridin' in. They don't call me "Lou-the-dog" for nuttin.

Randy

Gregisme
03-11-2004, 11:20 PM
careful partner. Talk like that could get you into a high noon showdown.