PDA

View Full Version : For those using 4-conducter speaker wire

Maniac_Matt85
05-15-2008, 01:37 AM
Per the Ascend website: "We recommend wiring the two sets of conductors together creating a single pair yielding 11.2 gauge of OFC copper"

Since the wires are red,black,white, and green, I assume this means wiring the red/green for positive, and black/white for negative, right?

But on the photo of the ultralink cable, it shows the wires red/black together, and the white/green together.

Basically, I threaded both the red/green into a (+)banana plug, and the black/white into a (-) banana plug.

Is that how I am supposed to do it?

Thanks Matt

debo
05-15-2008, 05:01 AM
Matt,

The photo looks like there are two twisted pairs of cable, black/red being one pair and white/green being the other pair. Keep the pairs together, use black/red as the positive, and green/white as the negative or vice versa but keep the pairs together.

Maniac_Matt85
05-15-2008, 06:00 AM
I noticed them wired that like that too, but I was thinking the picture was illustrating their bi-wire capabilities.

Do you think it would make a difference either way? I have already hooked them to the banana plugs as Red/Green and White/Black.

drewface
05-15-2008, 06:50 AM
i went red/green and black/white for my cables, and they sound fine. i think the four conductors are basically all twisted together, rather than there being two twisted pairs running side by side. my guess is that it wouldn't matter which way you pair them up as long as you are consistent on both ends.

Maniac_Matt85
05-15-2008, 08:19 AM
Thanks Drew! I did the same thing, and just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong.

davef
05-15-2008, 09:44 PM
my guess is that it wouldn't matter which way you pair them up as long as you are consistent on both ends.

Absolutely correct.. It makes no difference which colored wires you twist together, just be sure that you are consistent at both ends of the cable, otherwise you will create a short and could damage your receiver.

gksgms62
02-01-2009, 06:08 AM
I am trying to use the same suggestion using 14ga 4 conducter wire but not able to get it in the banana plug from monoprice. Anyone have a detailed explanation on how to do this. Are there plugs made for this size wire or are they all the same?