PDA

View Full Version : cmb-170 or cmt-340

curtis
03-05-2004, 11:32 AM
Frank...how big is the room?

You are welcome to come by again and listen. I put together another set of 170's too....so it will be easier for you to compare the two....unless I end up giving them to my Dad.

-curtis
http://www.danasoft.com/sig/AscendForum.jpg

Sigma B
03-05-2004, 11:46 AM
I've always wondered which would be better. I thought I'd order the 170's and see how I liked them. If I felt that I needed more I'd get the 340 front end, if not another pair of 170's and a 340c. By the way my room is 12 x 12 at the moment.... Think that is a good idea curtis?

My main issue is that I'd like to know what the freq curve looks like for the 340's as L/R's. I know the 170 is highly praised, but when are we going to see some reviews of the 340's as mains?

curtis
03-05-2004, 11:48 AM
I think that is a fine idea. 12x12 should not be any kind of a problem with the 170's.

As for the 340's getting reviews...I have no clue.

-curtis

Sigma B
03-05-2004, 12:04 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by curtis

I think that is a fine idea. 12x12 should not be any kind of a problem with the 170's.

As for the 340's getting reviews...I have no clue.

-curtis
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

But are you secretly saying that the 340's blow the 170's away and I'd be a knucklehead for not spending the extra dough for them??? [:D]

curtis
03-05-2004, 12:09 PM
hahahahaha.....

Nope...I hooked up the 170's the other day...I still love them. In fact, I wish I had a room that I could use them in.

The biggest difference is, the 340's are a bigger speaker, and sound like it.

-curtis

frank
03-05-2004, 12:18 PM
curtis the room is very large about 20x20 two big windows one large opening to the upstairs but in about two years or so I will be selling that house and moving back to my townhouse. The room in my townhose is about the same size as your room with you equipment.I'm looking for the best bang for the buck but it needs to sound really good

curtis
03-05-2004, 12:40 PM
Frank....get the 340's then.

-curtis

frank
03-05-2004, 11:32 PM
hey curtis now if I buy the cmt-340l/f and cmt-340c which sub from HSU, I'm thinking maybe the STF-3 or the new VTF-3MKII by chance have you done a side-by-side test on them or has anyone else!! please write

Lou-the-dog
03-06-2004, 12:00 AM
I don't come close to having a golden ear but the differences between the 170's and 340's, to me, are really subtle. To me they both sound really similiar with the 340 playing a tad bigger as Curtis says. When I first A/B'd the two I really had a hard time telling much difference. With some of the stuff I listen to I even had thoughts that I slightly preferred the way the 170 presented the material. I fail to be able to put that in audiophile terms but is was just a sensation at the time. When I say A/B, in reality, I had to manually switch the cables from one to the other. A true A/B comparison might reveal more differences possibly but I doubt anything major. To best explain my feelings between the two I would say I don't regret at all spending the extra money for the 340's but the 170's, to me, are amazing in the fact that they produce essentially the same quality sound out of a smaller and less costly package. Being so close in the sound they produce I would be inclined to suggest basing your purchase decisions soley on room size. 12X12=170 and 12X20=340 I'd also go as far to say that if the budget is of concern then I have the greatest confidence that the 170's would do just fine in the larger room too. For the 20X20 room, I would second Curtis on the 340 recomendation.

Randy

Lou-the-dog
03-06-2004, 12:13 AM
On the Hsu site they have a recomendation form you can fill out (room shape, size, door openings etc.) If you fill this out and send Dr. Hsu will give you a sub recomendation and preferred placement. In a room of your size with the large opening I would say the STF3 or VTF3MKII would do fine. Also James and Dave at Ascend would be able to help you confirm your choice. I might add that I've got the VTF3MKII in a smaller room than yours but have a double opening into another room essentially the same size. This sub sounds fantastic with music and with movies makes me literally wonder if my plaster can handle it. Pictures on the walls bounce around and stuff falls off shelves if not secured. I am not exaggerating one bit.

Randy

frank
03-06-2004, 12:16 AM
thanks for all the imfor lou-the-dog

frank
03-06-2004, 12:21 AM
hey does ascend make a center channel for the cmb-170 is it called the cbm-170c whats the center channel for this setup

Lou-the-dog
03-06-2004, 12:32 AM
I'd probably have to defer to the more knowledgable on this but I've thought that there essentially is no difference between a 170 used as a center and one used as a main. If positioned sideways tho I think the Ascend logo is applied accordingly and posssibly the diffuser on the tweeter rotated so it is oriented properly. On the 340c they install their EXBAC crossover to help with sound issues being placed on top of a TV but not sure if they do anything to the 170 in regards to crossover.

Randy

curtis
03-06-2004, 12:34 AM
Ditto everything Randy posted.

When I first got my 340's, the differences between them and the 340's were subtle, after all, they do have Ascend's signature sound. The biggest difference is how they fill the room, the 340's have that bigger soundstage, and a smidgen more forward. The bigger soundstage was the kicker for me.

Since I bought a used 170, it has made it easier for me to listen to a pair of them and compare. The stands also make a difference...previously, I did not have my 170's on stands. This extra pair will either complete a 7.1 setup, or I will give them to my Dad to enjoy.

Frank...since I know Hsu is practically in your backyard, make an appointment and let them know you want to compare the STF-3 and Vtf-3MK2.

-curtis

frank
03-06-2004, 11:14 PM
I think I will call Dr HSU for a listen between the subs I wish he had the speakers to but that's asking for to much!!

frank
03-06-2004, 11:23 PM
one more thing has any member bought any of the ascends painted??? yet, I'm thinking in maybe getting the silver one to match my t.v. which will be also silver in color I'm looking to buy?? DLP?? or LCOS or just wait untill the new t.v's come out with 3 chips vs 1 chip? does any member have imformation on these new t.v's

Sigma B
03-08-2004, 05:04 AM
frank,

for display advice head over to the avsforum.com

oh, and wear a hasmat and flameretardent suit as well[:D]

Quinn
03-08-2004, 12:05 PM
Frank,

THere has been some discussion on the video display thread here. Post your question there and see what help you can get here. Some of those display "discussions" at AVSForum make the Hsu v. SVS stuff look tame.

Personally I'm in the longer you can wait the better camp. Prices keep falling and the technology keeps getting better. Just start setting aside $100-200 each month and see what is out there next Feb after X-mas and Super Bowl demand is over.

curtis
03-08-2004, 01:01 PM
OK Quinn....lets see who waits longer...you or me. [:)]

-curtis

Quinn
03-08-2004, 09:53 PM
That is an easy one. I'm married and hence don't control the checkbook. [:0] You can tell me how great it is when you get it.