PDA

View Full Version : Calling Curtis or any other Sonos users

Harry
05-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Hello all,

I am not an Ascend owner but plan to be in the near future. I have purchased a new home and will be moving in by the end of June.
This is a resale (20 years old) and completely finished including the basement. My wife wants music to flow seamlessly throughout the home, thus my plan to purchase Sonos. My plan was to join Rhapsody, since my music collection is getting a little dated, but apparently it is not available in Canada (bummer, if anyone knows away around this ie. US PO box please let me know).

I have been caught in a time warp the last 10 years, so I will be starting from scratch. I have 2 main TV viewing and music listening areas.
1) Main Floor Family Room open to kitchen. This will be mainly for daytime viewing (Sony 52" LCD) and music listening (while cooking and during dinner).
2) Basement Family Room (25 x 30) Home Theatre 100" screen and music listening (parties, impress my friends).

I have never heard Ascend speakers, so I plan to start slowly. But if I am impressed I could end up with a whole house full (Good for Dave).

My long range plan would be to have sierras across the front (LCR) in the basement with 200se's as surrounds (possibly in wall/ceiling), and an HSU sub, powered by a Pioneer Elite 94. The MFFR would have 340's across the front (LCR) and no surrounds or sub, with a less powerful amp like a Onkyo 605. Both these areas would be hooked to sonos via ZP-80's. I would also have sonos ZP-100's powering 200se's in the bedroom and office.

First of all does this make sense, or should the 340's and sierra's be filp floped, since I won't have a sub upstairs and the sierra's give more bass. But then I will miss them in the home theater, and the sierra's like more power, Aghhh!

Since I haven't bought anything yet, any advice on amp selection, where to start (will probably buy 3 340's or sierra's and 2 200se's) sonos powered amps, etc. would be helpful.

Thanks Harry

DougMac
05-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Welcome to the forum Harry! Others might be able to give you advice based on experience, but based on what you've described, I think this is the way I'd make the decision:

I'd place the Sierra's in the space where you plan to do the most serious music listening. Your paradox, as you've pointed out, is the lack of subwoofer in the family room.

In your other thread, you mentioned you were looking at an SVS sub and in this thread you metioned Hsu's. Did you have a change of heart? If so, what made you change? For a room that size, you'll need a honking big sub or two (or four).

BTW, what are ceiling heights in those spaces?
Doug

curtis
05-07-2008, 01:35 PM
Looks good to me, but I would suggest a sub in both areas, and use the Sierras in the area where you listen to music to more often,

Harry
05-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Thanks Guys,

My wife didn't want a sub upstairs, I quess I will have to sharpen my negotation skills. As far as where will I be doing my critcal listening, I'm not sure since I haven't moved in yet. Now my problem is I will probably be listening more upstairs, but cranking it more downstairs. The ceiling height upstairs is 8' and 7 1/2' downstairs. Does it matter that the actual area for the home theatre will only be maybe 15 x 20, but the sub (or subs) needs to be large enough to fill the whole room? I know subs are non directional but does it lose it's effectiveness in a larger room vs a smaller room if you are the same distance away from it?

robruffo
05-07-2008, 11:21 PM
It's not about volume, it's about quality. Most subs do not go down to 20hrz for example, whereas your hearing does, and so does some music, even though music is mostly contained above 30hrz.

Get a sealed subwoofer (generally) and you will get better, faster and more precise base. Also, get an Aurelex Subdude support base, they help a lot.

Very loud subwoofers are generally used by people who turn up the base too high, so that the resulting music is distorted from what the artist intended, with too much bass. It doesn't take a lot of subwoofer power to properly match music played at volumes that border on painful.

I'd say go ID direct (all big-box subs are crap) and look at the Epik Valiant, and the AV123 mfw-15 (one is WAY more than enough for music) or ask av123 if they have any sealed subs in their wharehouse.

Another option is to wait for Dave's new subs to arrive.

DougMac
05-08-2008, 06:57 AM
It's not about volume, it's about quality.

Get a sealed subwoofer (generally) and you will get better, faster and more precise base.

Another option is to wait for Dave's new subs to arrive.
I couldn't agree more with Rob. I think I should have qualified my multiple sub statement. I wasn't recommended for more volume, but for a better controlled sound. I should have also gotten more information about listening habits and subwoofer expectations.

I tend to agree with the sealed statement, but it's more the execution of the design than any inherent superiority of sealed vs. ported. I remember the bad old days when ported speakers (not bass reflex) were introduced. They weren't well executed and didn't sound as good as a good sealed box. That prejudiced me against all ported speakers, a prejudice I'm just overcoming.

Almost all commercial subs have to have design compromises and FAF (family acceptance factor) is a significant one. Again generally speaking, it seems easier to design and build a small well behaved sealed sub than a small well behaved ported sub, mostly because you can't tune the port low enough.

It would be interesting if Dave would discuss some design philosphies he wrangled with in his quest to offer a subwoofer worthy of the Ascend name. If it was simple, there would have been one for sale long ago.

I have spent 6 months wrangling with the subwoofer dilemma. My solution arrives tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think. In the meantime, here's some interesting reading:
http://www.audiopulse.com/know-how/subwoofer-driver-guide/myths-about-subwoofers/

Doug
PS Harry, thanks for the mention of the Sonos. Looks interesting!

Harry
05-08-2008, 07:33 AM
Great information guys and thanks for the link on subs, Doug.

Dave, can you just put us out our misery and produce the perfect sub for your speakers. I need mine by June, no rush.

Curtis, can you give me any feedback on the quality of sound from Rhapsody and the Sonos ZP-100 amp (if you use one).

Thanks Harry

curtis
05-08-2008, 08:31 AM
Curtis, can you give me any feedback on the quality of sound from Rhapsody and the Sonos ZP-100 amp (if you use one).

I use a ZP80 digitally connected to my pre/pro. The music service I primarily use is Pandora, and I think it is great for listening to music in the background.....I think the quality is at least as good as FM radio.

I briefly tried Rhapsody on a free trial, and liked it as well.

Mitch G
05-08-2008, 08:39 AM
Not familiar with Sonos' ability to tune other internet radio stations, but if it can, then take a look at Radio Paradise (www.radioparadise.com). They have a 192Kbps stream that sounds very nice. Plus, the programming is great - ranging all over the place and always playing good music.
(For any Chicagoans out there, Radio Paradise is what WXRT used to be before being bought by Clear Channel.)

Mitch

curtis
05-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Thanks Mitch....I will give it a try this weekend.