PDA

View Full Version : 340's and Acoustic Transparent Screens

DougMac
05-05-2008, 06:23 AM
I'm narrowing down to using 340's for L-C-R behind an acoustically transparent screen.

The screen manufacturer suggests using all speakers in a vertical array to prevent lobing. Can the 340-C be used in a vertical position, or would it be better to use a standard 340 instead?

Doug

drewface
05-05-2008, 06:35 AM
a standard 340 may be your best bet. i'd give ascend a call and see what their recommendation would be.

curtis
05-05-2008, 07:07 AM
If you are using an acoustically transparent screen, then the standard CMT-340SE is the way to go.

DougMac
05-05-2008, 07:18 AM
i'd give ascend a call and see what their recommendation would be.
Thanks, will do. It's just so hard to decide. $400 to upgrade to Sierras will buy the 40gig PS3. In the scheme of building the HT, $400 doesn't seem like much, but on the other hand, it's close to 10% of the total outlay.

I'm afraid if I go with the 340's, I'll wish a sprang for the Sierras. If I go with the Sierra's, I'll wonder if I overspent.

I wish I wasn't so cheap. That or I wish I was richer!

Doug

Mr.Lawrence
05-05-2008, 08:17 AM
Thanks, will do. It's just so hard to decide. $400 to upgrade to Sierras will buy the 40gig PS3. In the scheme of building the HT, $400 doesn't seem like much, but on the other hand, it's close to 10% of the total outlay.

I'm afraid if I go with the 340's, I'll wish a sprang for the Sierras. If I go with the Sierra's, I'll wonder if I overspent.

I wish I wasn't so cheap. That or I wish I was richer!

Doug

LOL We must be on the same wavelength. I'm cheap too! :D

Fortunately, the decision was made for me. I called Ascend on Friday prepared to order a set (L/C/R) of Sierra-1 speakers in piano black. The woman that answered the phone indicated that piano black was out of stock until the end of May. I was only mildly disappointed.

Not wanting to wait any longer (I have been vacillating since January), I ordered the CMT-340se.

If they perform as well as users describe, I will be overjoyed, and have $400 that I did not have to spend.

If I cannot live with the 340s, or I have an overwhelming curiosity about the performance of the Sierra's, I'll just order them.

Now comes the long wait for their delivery to the East Coast. :(

DougMac
05-05-2008, 09:40 AM
Not wanting to wait any longer (I have been vacillating since January), I ordered the CMT-340se.

I too suffer from analysis paralysis. I'm driving my wife crazy! We also suffer from taking forever to decide, but once done, things can't move quick enough!

As for me, "You can take the Scot out of Scotland, but you can't take the Scotland out of a Scot".

"A Scotsman took a girl for a ride in a taxi. She was so beautiful he could hardly keep his eye on the meter."

Doug

Sam AV
05-05-2008, 12:05 PM
I have 340SEs across the front and 170SEs in the rear and lets just say I don't think that you will be disappointed. I have been extremely pleased with them and i have had many friends with much more expensive speakers come away impressed and wanting to know more about Ascend.