PDA

View Full Version : upgrade or not?

curtis
03-04-2004, 06:16 AM
If you do not hear any discontinuity between your L/C/R, then I would aim for sub if you can not shake the bug.

Would you happen to be in the Los Angeles area? I know someone that is going back to two channel, and is selling his extra pair of CBM-170's and a CMT-340c, as well as a STF-2. I actually have dibs on the sub...but I do not need it that bad.

-curtis
http://www.danasoft.com/sig/AscendForum.jpg

Mag_Neato
03-04-2004, 02:44 PM
I have a brother in Agoura Hills and another in Sonoma, yet I live in the Buckeye State(just outside of Cleveland)! Thanks for the quick response. I would need to sell my PSB prior to purchasing the HSU - I have an interested party - so I would probably have to seek out a CompUSA to audition the hsu. My room is about 13'x 18' with 8' ceiling. there are two openings that cannot be closed(kitchen/hall). I am limited to front right corner placement. My logic is that if I went with a downfiring sub I could direct the port away from the wall if it is too boomy.
I don't want to lose the impact for movies, but wish to improve the bass with music. A 10" woofer w/200 watts(or is it more?) should provide better cone control, right?

Thanks

MAG

curtis
03-05-2004, 05:29 AM
I think the STF-2 would be fine for you.

Let me know what you want to do. I am committed to buying the sub and picking it up toward the end of next week. If you want it, I can help facilitate.

-curtis

Mag_Neato
03-05-2004, 05:58 AM
Thanks Curtis......I'll let you know. I have a birthday on the 4th next month and my prospective buyer is awaiting money from Uncle Sam. How much would you ask for the STF-2 and what would shipping to 44146 zipcode be?

Later

MAG

curtis
03-05-2004, 06:03 AM
Since I don't have it yet....I was just thinking you could work everything out with your brother in Agoura Hills. Have him take care of the money and send it out to you. Cut out the middle man...being me.

-curtis

Mag_Neato
03-06-2004, 07:55 AM
My time frame won't jive with your plans on picking it up next week. I need to have the money in my hands before I can do anything, or I risk getting burned if my buyer backs out. My brother would not lend me the money, so that's not an option. If you buy it as planned and things go as planned here, I could buy it from you at a later date(1 month?)if you would be interested. Don't sweat it, though. Do what you were going to do in the first place. If things work out here I'll let you know.......if not, that's my problem. I could always try to get one at CompUSA if worse comes to worse. Thanks for the offer!

MAG

curtis
03-06-2004, 11:35 AM
Fair enough.

I will buy it from the guy next week. My plan was to keep it and put together a 2.1 system in my bedroom, which I really do not need, or set up a 2.1 system over at my Parents' home.

So when you are ready, let me know, and we will see if I want to part with it.

-curtis

Mag_Neato
03-14-2004, 11:15 PM
Curtis,
It would seem from reading your post in the other thread that you may not want to part with the STF-2 except to your parents' new system! That's cool.....I just hope if things work out here as planned you would still be willing to sell it to me[:D]
The price you paid would be hard to resist as I would be able to buy some new DVD's as well![;)]

MAG

curtis
03-14-2004, 11:32 PM
MAG,

It is a trial for them. If you still want it, let me know. I will say this much, it is a sweet little system!

-curtis

curtis
03-15-2004, 01:21 AM
If they end up wanting to keep it....well...they are my Parents.

-curtis

Mag_Neato
03-15-2004, 03:01 AM
Yes, they are, aren't they!! I will have to concede graciously then(if they want to keep it)! Would you say that the STF-2 is worth it's retail price plus shipping from HSU? My current sub originally sold for $899 back in 94.....a dinosaur in the audio world, huh!

MAG

curtis
03-15-2004, 03:30 AM
Definitely. I was impressed with it in my room. In my 14x18x8-9 room, the STF-2 could do everything my VTF-3 could do except the deeper stuff. It shook the walls, and the experience with the movies and music I tried with it was not lacking.

-curtis

Mag_Neato
03-15-2004, 03:50 AM
That brings me to a point of confusion:

The HSU website states the exact same +/-2db @ 25hz for BOTH the STF-2 and 3, sooo......how can one go "deeper" than the other? I would think the 3 would simply play louder if anything. Please clarify if you can!

Thanks

MAG

curtis
03-15-2004, 03:56 AM
I have the VTF-3 and have it in the max extension mode which means it is tuned to 20hz.

It is my understanding that the 25hz spec for the STF-3 is a bit conservative...although I do not know for sure. But you are right, all things being equal, the STF-3 will just have more output than the STF-2.

-curtis

Mag_Neato
03-15-2004, 04:25 AM
Thanks for the speedy reply Curtis! I'll have to find the time to get over to CompUSA and check that puppy out! It's been fun trading posts today, now I must get some work done before I go home in 1 1/2 hours!(Ha!)

MAG

curtis
03-15-2004, 04:45 AM
Just remember....CompUSA is probably the worse place to hear anything...let alone a sub.

-curtis

Mag_Neato
03-15-2004, 05:06 AM
I know, but at least I could check out the sub physically. I wonder if their are any Hsu owners locally who would agree to an audition?? Hmmmm.......

MAG

Derek
03-15-2004, 10:02 PM
I think compusa also has a 15% restocking fee on returned items. Buyer beware... [:)]

Derek

Quinn
03-16-2004, 12:59 AM
Yes, CompUsa does have a 15% re-stock fee.

Mag_Neato
03-16-2004, 03:33 AM
Thanks for the heads-up! If I buy the sub it will probably be through Hsu directly. I would only go to C-USA to check out the "look-n-feel", so to speak!

MAG

Mag_Neato
03-18-2004, 04:09 AM
Curtis,

how are the folks liking the STF-2? I see the VTF-2 MK2 is out with a 250 watt BASH amp! Hmmmm........

MAG

Quinn
03-18-2004, 04:27 AM
Mag neato- Don't get to caught up in the watt rating. It takes doubling the watts for every 3dB volume increase.

curtis
03-18-2004, 05:09 AM
yeah...Quinn is right. The overall design of the sub is what is important. Also remember that it is the efficiency of the driver along with the amp......an inefficient driver needs a more powerful amp, a more efficient driver does not......and there are many more factors as well. The older VTF-2 with a 150watt amp put many more "powerful" subs to shame.

The STF-2 and CBM-170's go to my Parents' today. I had some folks over for a demo yesterday listening to the CBM-170's. I got a feeling it is going to be pretty hard for me to get the 170s and sub back from my Dad.....I am going to have to make him put together his HT, especially since my Mom gave him the green light a while ago.

-curtis

curtis
03-18-2004, 05:12 AM
By the way,

There is a guy selling two STF-2's at $265 each here:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=189623

-curtis

Mag_Neato
03-18-2004, 05:58 AM
Thanks guys...good advice. If I had all of my funds in hand I'd contact that poster selling the subs. Another 3 weeks should tell the story if my plans will come to be. If I end up with enough dough, I will go to Hsu direct. What do you guys think of the Outlaw LFM-1? Kinda like the STF-3 but less money!

MAG

curtis
03-18-2004, 06:10 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Mag_Neato

What do you guys think of the Outlaw LFM-1? Kinda like the STF-3 but less money!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I would like to hear it and see what difference the downfiring ports make.

-curtis

Mag_Neato
03-22-2004, 12:02 AM
The Outlaws did have Dr. Hsu as a consultant on their sub, so I'd imagine they are very similar. I had a chance to move my sub over the weekend. a small change in location can payoff in smoothing bass response. I may have to rethink selling this sub!(considering the "overwhelming response I got from the other thread!)

MAG

Quinn
03-22-2004, 12:29 AM
This is the best summary of the differences between the LFM and STF twins(?) I've seen- http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?postid=3244668#post3244668

Mag_Neato
03-22-2004, 01:57 AM
Thanks Quinn....interesting stuff! I may end up keeping my sub after trying it in a different position. I moved it's port side away from the wall it faces about 6-12" and had some VERY nice response(smoother). I think corner loading is overrated. Maybe I'll finally add that 6th speaker for the rear center instead(although I have W.A.F. to deal with!).
By the way, I see from your other post that you are a Chef! Yesterday, My wife, kids and I ate at The Cheescake Factory. I'm not a food expert, but the food was very good and the dessert even better! Would you agree?

MAG

Quinn
03-22-2004, 04:23 AM
I never eaten at The Cheesecake Factory so I coundn't tell you.

JohnnyCasaba
03-22-2004, 04:46 AM
I can see it now, a Quinn restaurant review or recipe section[:D]

curtis
03-22-2004, 05:00 AM
I have eaten at some of the Cheesecake Factories out here.....and yes, good food and even better desserts.

-curtis

MRose
03-22-2004, 09:11 AM
Pretty decent food, although, their menu (in Phoenix) had advertising for a number of plastic surgeons. In my usual tactful fashion, I made a big deal about the mixed message and the plastic surgery culture in general. It was only afterwards that my wife told me about which members at the table had plastic surgery, were contemplating plastic surgery, etc... At least they couldn't frown at me, what with all the botox and all.

Quinn
03-23-2004, 04:23 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by MRose

Pretty decent food, although, their menu (in Phoenix) had advertising for a number of plastic surgeons. In my usual tactful fashion, I made a big deal about the mixed message and the plastic surgery culture in general. It was only afterwards that my wife told me about which members at the table had plastic surgery, were contemplating plastic surgery, etc... At least they couldn't frown at me, what with all the botox and all.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

LOL!

Mag_Neato
03-28-2004, 11:34 PM
I was near a CompUSA over the weekend and decided to go check out the Hsu STF-2......well, they don't carry it! I mentioned that I saw it on their website, and the salesman said that there is a lot of items available online only. Drats!!!!

MAG