PDA

View Full Version : L/R/C height

sammm
05-02-2008, 09:35 AM
I just ordered Ascend 170's for L/R and a 340 for the center. I am thinking about putting them on top of the TV cabinet so I don't have to use stands. The cabinet is 6' 2" tall overall and 5' 7" wide. The shelf above the TV for the center speaker is 5' 2" off the floor.

My 4 surround speakers are in the ceiling above the listening area.

Are the new speakers going to be too high up there? Is 5' 7" enough separation for L/R? Would I be better off angling them down towards the listening area? If so, what's a good 'wedge' material to tilt them down?

DaveHo
05-02-2008, 11:52 AM
You want the tweeter at ear level if possible. So, yes that is too high. Angling them will help, but if you have the room for stands that would be preferable. Also too close together unless you are right on top of them. How far back are you sitting?

-Dave

sammm
05-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the reply Dave. Distance is 10-12 feet away.

davef
05-05-2008, 11:22 PM
Are the new speakers going to be too high up there? Is 5' 7" enough separation for L/R? Would I be better off angling them down towards the listening area? If so, what's a good 'wedge' material to tilt them down?

Hi sammm,

The 170SE have wide dispersion in all directions. They should work fine at this height. Angling them downward will improve accuracy.

You can try rubber door stops for angling.

Hope this helps!