PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum - I have a decision to make

ClutchBrake
03-01-2004, 06:11 AM
In a room that size you could get a 340c, 170 mains, and 200 surrounds. You could certainly substitute another 170 for the center but I'm a firm believer in getting the best center available. I think you will be quite pleased with both music and HT.

Where are you located? Perhaps someone in your area would have you over for a demo.

Sigma B
03-01-2004, 06:15 AM
I'm in Lexington, KY.

I prefer to keep all speakers the same if not completely similar sonically. So if I decide to go with a traditional center I will have 170's for the front and rear, or 340's up front LCR and 170's for the rear.

Likewise I'm pondering the aformentioned JBL's, Onix, Axiom, Paradigm, B&W, and Monitor Audio. I can afford pretty much any setup, but I don't want to go crazy unless I have to.

I appreciate your response

curtis
03-01-2004, 06:54 AM
Is a subwoofer in your future? Something small like the Hsu STF-1 would help a lot.

Otherwise, you are on the right track. Got out and listen, find out what you like.

-curtis

Sigma B
03-01-2004, 07:20 AM
I intend to purchase a sub, but probably not until later this spring. I've listen to everything I can locally and very few things melt my butter. I liked the paradigm studio 20's the most. The B&W602 series were nice, but were muddy in the midrange, Klipsch were quite bright, and clear, not neccessarly a bad thing, but vocals sounded nasaly due to the horn loaded tweet. Def tech sounded overall boomy....

I just can't seem to find anything that fits the bill yet. None of those were "perfect".

That's about all I have locally unless I go to the likes of best buy, circuit city, etc.... Which brings me to online companies.... I was at first quite interested in onix. There speaker exteriors are supposed to be there advantage I suppose?!?! Not that, that is a bad thing. I recieved some of their finish samples today and wasn't that impressed. Perhaps I'm not understanding what I'm supposed to. Sure they're real wood, but they don't look that much different than other finishes I've seen. Personally as long as the cabinet doesn't look hideious, I'll buy anything as long as it sound nice....

I just don't know what to do or what else to audition. It's just hard to take a road trip to audition speakers.

Your thoughts?

curtis
03-01-2004, 07:50 AM
The Onix cabinets are very well made.

Sound is very subjective. If you liked the Paradigm Studio 20's, then I would suggest you listen to the CBM-170's. Out side of the bass extention, I feel they are in the very least comparable.

The muddy midrange of the B&W602 has been mention before on the forums, same with your characterizations of the Klipsch. I do not recall reading the Def Techs being call boomy.

Other speakers that I would suggest you listen to is the Monitor Audio Bronze B2, and possibly the Epos ELS-3 that has been getting some attention.

I would highly recommend a nice sub to take full advantage of music and HT.

What did you feel the Studio 20 lacked? What did it need to be "your" perfect speaker?

-curtis

Sigma B
03-01-2004, 07:55 AM
I don't want to sound anal...

I want an airy top end that isn't too aggressive and a very clear midrange. the transition from mid to top should be very smooth - very. it would also help if the midbass region was fairly punchy.

perhaps the def tech opinion was setup related.... they just sounded bloated.

I don't mean to be picky. Like most people I want to get the most out of my money.

curtis
03-01-2004, 08:15 AM
Just saw your post on AVS.

Out of the speakers I have heard, and in a similar price range, I would say give a listen to the MA Bronze B2, and the CMT-340.

But if you can try those JBL's at that great price, and with a good return policy, it would not hurt to try them.

-curtis

Lou-the-dog
03-01-2004, 08:16 AM
When I was searching for speakers the Ascend 170's were, in more than one instance, compared equally to the sound of the Studio 20's. If you liked the sound of the 20's then the 170's would be logical to put on your list. I ended up purchasing the 340 L/C/R and 170's for surrounds. I really like my settup. The 340's are really nice speakers as they play a little bigger than the 170's but the 170's are really amazing too. I've played with the 170's a little as the mains and in my opinion they really are "big" little speakers and deserve to be up front.

Randy

spiffnme
03-02-2004, 07:47 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Sigma B

I want an airy top end that isn't too aggressive and a very clear midrange. the transition from mid to top should be very smooth - very. it would also help if the midbass region was fairly punchy. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Sounds to me like the Ascend 340, or Axiom M22ti would suit you nicely. Both have superb clarity. I also highly recommend a Hsu subwoofer. Regardless of what you end up with (if you're decided on a bookshelf speaker already) you'll be well served adding a good subwoofer to the mix. Hsu can't be beat.

Good luck!

btw...Axiom is another internet only dealer. Visit their message boards (www.axiomaudio.com/boards)and see if an owner local to you will let you give theirs a listen.

Sigma B
03-02-2004, 09:47 AM
hsu over svs? usally it's the other way around.... at least on the boards....

I just don't know what to do. I haven't been wowed by anything - at least in my price range.

I really like the technical specs of the ascends. But what really scares me is user reviews saying that thier speakers compress under stress and the virtually non existent bass department. I'm not trying to flame, and I for one and the first to admit that I haven't heard them first hand. I'm just concerned about how I spend my money.

Ben_Wood
03-02-2004, 10:25 AM
I don't know about the boards favoring SVS over Hsu. I've seen close to a dead heat between the two brands with maybe Adire in a distant third place in the internet sub sweepstakes. I think that you could be happy with any one of the three I've mentioned. I own a Hsu VTF-2 and am extremely pleased with it and the way it meshes with my Ascends (CBM-170 mains and surrounds with a CMT-340c center) sonically.

ClutchBrake
03-02-2004, 10:41 AM
I own an SVS and have heard HSU. Both are excellent products for the money.

Sigma B
03-03-2004, 10:27 AM
I think I'm going to order a pair of 170's and see how things work out paired with my 7200. If I don't like them I'll send them back. If I do I think I'll order 340's for the front and a VTF3 sub (from HSU - cheaper than here and newer model with more power). Thoughts?

curtis
03-03-2004, 10:39 AM
If you are going to get the sub regardless, get them with the speakers, so you can hear how they work together. I think Ascend matches the price that Hsu sells them for.

-curtis
http://www.danasoft.com/sig/AscendForum.jpg

Sigma B
03-03-2004, 10:40 AM
yeah, but is it the new version? Or should I just get the VTF2?

curtis
03-03-2004, 11:00 AM
they get their stock from Hsu...so whatever Hsu has, Ascend has.

-curtis

Sigma B
03-03-2004, 11:06 AM
but as for the vtf2 vs vtf3?

curtis
03-03-2004, 11:14 AM
Oh...you mean the VTF-3MK2. I'm pretty sure it is, Hsu doesn't make the older version any more. In any case, just give Ascend a call and find out.

-curtis

Sigma B
03-03-2004, 11:37 AM
why would I want to audtion them with a sub? I thought the whole purpose was to see how the mains sound themselves. I can borrow a sub to see how things blend I guess.

curtis
03-03-2004, 11:45 AM
If you were planning on getting a sub, I think it would be a good idea to hear how various speakers work with it. Ofcourse listen to the speakers without it as well. You can also compare with a sub...some speakers do not extend as low, but if you have a sub, those differences are less of a differentiator.

Just something to think about.

I had a couple of gentlemen over last night for listening, and basicly demoed without the sub with music, in HT I turned the sub on.

-curtis

Sigma B
03-03-2004, 12:16 PM
and what did they think about your setup?

also - have you seen or used the stands that ascend sells? I wonder how sturdy and well built they were.

curtis
03-03-2004, 12:46 PM
They both liked the setup.....maybe they will chime in. Both are not in a hurry to buy though. One was in town on business, and the other I know through Hsu's forum, and both took advantage of the opportunity.

I have seen the custom stand for the CMT-340....those are pretty sturdy, especially if filled with sand. I have not seen the others.

-curtis

Sigma B
03-03-2004, 12:48 PM
my main use will be for HT, but how do the 340's fair for music. I'm really getting into DVD music and so forth.

curtis
03-03-2004, 03:32 PM
Remembering that how they sound is subjective, I think they hold their own or best lot more costly speakers, B&M and direct to consumer. Are they the best? Ofcourse not, but I am very happy with them and not looking for new speakers. When I am ready to "upgrade" I know it is going to take a lot of money (in my mind) to get a set of speakers that are significantly better.

Music is more important to me than HT, in fact, like many people that have found speakers that they enjoy, I listen to more music now than before. I used to listen to music a lot when I was younger, but my current system has renewed that interest. In fact, I enjoy a much wider range of music now than I did before...but still not country. [:)] I also enjoy hi-rez/multichannel music.

All the boards you have probably visited, this one, Axiom, AV123, AVS, HTS, etc., probably encourage you to listen to certain speakers....some will even claim that "their" speaker is the best. I say try them, but I know it is a tough process. Shipping back a pair of speaker from where you are to CA will probably run you $40 insured for a pair of CMT-340's, less for a pair of 170's....that is my guess. I'd hesitate to do it as well, and that is why I don't mind having people over...I have met mostly very admirable people, enjoy listening to music, and like hear the music they bring. I got lucky and heard the Ascends locally, so I did not have to agonize as much with a "trial".

That is the toughest thing to do with these internet direct companies, pulling the trigger on a trial. For a lot of people, it pays off, but for others, it doesn't.

Not sure that helps or not....I just kind of rambled. I just watched "School of Rock" on the system, and was a bit energized. [:D].

Good luckon finding the right speaker for you.

-curtis

Sigma B
03-04-2004, 04:46 AM
excellent reply curtis.

now if I could only decide whether to order a 340 front end or 170 340 170...... hrmmmmmmmm

curtis
03-04-2004, 06:19 AM
No matter what you do, I would just get a pair of speakers first. If you decide to send them back, your shipping charges will be lower. Other than that, give Ascend a call and discuss between the 170's and 340's. In your room, I think the 170's will be great.

-curtis

Demo
03-04-2004, 06:26 AM
I have a pretty big room and I just got the 170s fronts and surrounds, 340 center, and a STF3 sub. I was worried about the book shelves sounding 'small'. They are plenty loud and sound good, expecially with the STF3. I also got the HK 7200. BTW, the STF3 is huge. Right now, it is an end table for my couch.

Sigma B
03-04-2004, 06:29 AM
yeah I keep hearing or reading this 2 characteristics...

the 340's play fuller and lower but the 170's create a more expansive soundfield....

curtis
03-04-2004, 06:38 AM
actually, IMO, the 340's also have a bigger soundstage.....they just play bigger overall, and are a bit more forward than the 170's.

CBM-170's and a nice sub will work very nicely in a 12x12 room IMO.

-curtis

Lou-the-dog
03-04-2004, 08:56 AM
My room is about 13X15 and once again put my 170's to the front the other night just for fun. The 170's are one fine speaker for a room my size.

Randy

salee88
03-07-2004, 01:43 PM
I a newbie here and recently purchased a Yamaha RXV-3330 (6 x 130W) and is looking for speakers for a 5.1 setup. My living room is about 15 x 15 and 8 feet ceiling with 2 sides opening to kitchen and hall way. I heard a lot of good things about Ascend speakers and spend sometime reading the posts in this forum. The setup I'm interested in: front 340/l/r/c and surround 2x170 with VTF2. Will this a good setup for the room size? By the way, I did not see any 340/l/r in the Ascend web site. How do they sell their 340/l/r? Curtis, could I audition your Ascend speakers. I'm in Irvine, California and will be available during the weekends. Thanks in advance for your help!

Sean

curtis
03-08-2004, 01:13 AM
Sean,

For that room, I think either the 170's or 340's would be fine.

To order the 340l/r you need to contact Ascend directly.

No problem on the visit. I will send you an email.

-curtis

salee88
03-15-2004, 08:38 AM
Thanks Curtis, for letting me auditioned your speakers. I like Curtis’s setup a lot and have today placed an order from David for the following:

CMT-340 L/C/R for front with custom stands for the CMT-340/L/R
CMT-170 X 2 for back with regular stands
SFT-3 for Sub

David was pretty nice and gave a good break on the package. He recommended me getting SFT-3 instead of VFT-3. After I spend some time looking throught Dr. Hsu’s forum, I’m pretty sure I had made right decision.

I have a question on running cables to surround speakers if any one can help me on or not. My living room has wood floor on slab with 2 openings on the front speaker’s sides and I don’t know how to deal with the cabling to back surround speakers. I’m wondering if the cables to surround can be fished through the drywall - from one side to the ceiling and back to the other side of wall. Maybe someone in the forum had similar problem before and can let me know how this problem got solved? Hire an installer for this? Any one knows any installer in Irvine California area? Thanks again Curtis, for letting me listens to your speakers and educated me.

Sean

curtis
03-15-2004, 09:46 AM
No problem Sean...my pleasure.

And I didn't educate you...you educated yourself by listening. [:)]

-curtis

Sigma B
03-15-2004, 01:27 PM
hrmmmmm STF 3 over a VTF 3?????