PDA

View Full Version : accident! need advice!!

powerdog
04-10-2008, 06:57 AM
Last night my dog knocked the center Sierra off its pedestal, causing it to tumble over. The only visible damage is that the black binding post broke off. There's no thread attached to the speaker now. It looks like a flat-head screw, with the slot being speaker-side half of the hole that the wire should go through.

Any advice on repairing or working around the problem?

powerdog
04-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Nobody has any advice?!

curtis
04-10-2008, 11:22 AM
Do you have a picture?

I would call Ascend and ask what can be done. I think the binding post can be easily replaced.

powerdog
04-11-2008, 02:47 AM
I can try to take a picture later today. Meanwhile, I thought I could use this product to reattach the post.

http://www.solder-it.com/solderpaste.asp

(the silver-bearing paste)

DaveHo
04-11-2008, 07:18 AM
I think you'd risk damaging the finish. Looks like that stuff needs to be heated to bond. Unless the post is soldered straight to the crossover board, I would think it should be pretty easy to pop the woofer out & replace the post.

powerdog
04-11-2008, 11:41 AM
Dave, thanks...but replace it with what? I don't have spare parts. Do I need to buy it from Ascend?

DaveHo
04-11-2008, 11:51 AM
Have you called Ascend yet? I'm sure they could sell you a post. Heck they might even give you one. If you paid shipping I'm sure they would repair it for next to nothing as well.

-Dave

robruffo
04-11-2008, 02:19 PM
From what I know of Dave Fabrikant, he will definitely help you out better than any other person/means.

davef
04-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Dave, thanks...but replace it with what? I don't have spare parts. Do I need to buy it from Ascend?

Hi Powerdog,

Can you post or send me a picture of the back of the cabinet and the end of the post that broke off?

We do have spare posts but there is the possibility that when the post broke off, it took part of the crossover connector with it. I will be able to offer a more appropriate recommendation and solution by looking at the damage.

Glad the cabinet itself held up!

powerdog
04-12-2008, 04:03 AM
Here are some photos of the damage. As you can see, it broke the wire hole in half.

Much appreciate any advice.

davef
04-15-2008, 01:28 AM
Hi Powerdog,

The repair should be very simple based on the way the post broke. Give us a call to order a replacement post. You will need to remove the woofer to get inside the cabinet and remove the damaged post. Once you see how it is connected, repair would be self-explanatory and quite simple...

You can send the speaker back to us for repair but you can do this yourself.

Let us know if it is the positive (red) or negative (black) post.

Thanks in advance!