PDA

View Full Version : Rubber inserts around tweeters

robruffo
04-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Mien feel off, I think they got loose during shipping - do they serve any function other than aesthetics? Gee I hope my woofer didn't get damaged...

curtis
04-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Mien feel off, I think they got loose during shipping - do they serve any function other than aesthetics? Gee I hope my woofer didn't get damaged...
on your Sierras? Yes, it is a waveguide, it is not for aesthetics.

From the Sierra technology webpage:

"Fully integrated slightly elliptical wave guide made from elastomer to reduce diffraction and control off-axis response."

robruffo
04-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Well, I put them in, and now they sound well beyond what I would have thought possible for a speaker.

Since I never took off the front grilles, I never noticed before. Strange no? Could they have been shaken loose by bass?

Now that I put them back in, will it be OK? Do I need special glue or something?

curtis
04-09-2008, 10:33 PM
Never noticed what? Didn't the speakers arrive with the waveguide in place?

You shouldn't need anything special to keep them in place.

robruffo
04-09-2008, 10:42 PM
I didn't check. I just never took the grilles off. Maybe they were on the verge of falling off and then finally popped completely off?

So... Would bass shake them loose? I was running low freq. test discs to place my speakers and some acoustics treatments, mind you, it wasn't that loud.. I was moving the speakers around... I guess that's the explanation, they they were already partly out, and then finally fell due to bass or even gentle motion.

I checked both woofer and stweeter - they don't look damaged at all, I hope that means something...

I do notice that my sweet spot just got bigger, and that imaging is better than ever before.

curtis
04-09-2008, 11:09 PM
I highly doubt bass would shake them loose. The cabinet is extremely inert. They were probably shaken loose during shipping.

DaveHo
04-10-2008, 08:09 AM
How are they supposed to be attached? Glue, friction fit? This isn't the first time I've read about these falling off during shipping. Since I'm on the verge of possibly ordering Sierras, it has me a bit concerned.

-Dave

curtis
04-10-2008, 08:13 AM
How are they supposed to be attached? Glue, friction fit? This isn't the first time I've read about these falling off during shipping. Since I'm on the verge of possibly ordering Sierras, it has me a bit concerned.

-Dave
Nothing that I would be concerned about. On mine, it is a snug friction fit.

The only way I can see them coming off is by using your fingernails on the edges and pulling them off....which is what I did, or by shipping. Very simple to put back in.....easier than putting the grille back on.

robruffo
04-10-2008, 12:12 PM
It's true. Mine went right in (took 10 seconds) , and I must say the sound improvement is compelling. You move around the room, and this big sound seems to follow you, like the Mona Lisa's eyes. Before sound was also superb, but there were particular sweet-spots to a much greater degree.

Luckily nothing seems to be damaged.

bauska
04-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Newbie here - a proud owner of Sierra-1 for 7.1 setup! I had the same problem, I contacted Dave Fabrikant directly and he responded that this has happened in the past! The most important thing - no glue needed! Just pop them back in. It happened on 2 of my speakers.

guard52
04-10-2008, 01:30 PM

After unpacking my Sierras, I took the grills off and found both inserts had come off and were trapped between the speakers and grills. They just press fit back in to place. No harm done but obviously some rough handling must have occurred during shipping. Very musical speakers and a pleasure to listen to.

robruffo
04-10-2008, 01:35 PM
WOW! You have 7.1 Sierras! You use Sierras as back surrounds!? Please give me a moment as I wipe the drool off my keyboard....

bauska
04-10-2008, 02:00 PM
WOW! You have 7.1 Sierras! You use Sierras as back surrounds!? Please give me a moment as I wipe the drool off my keyboard....

I am a "fortunate son" whose other side/finance committee gave approval :D

DougMac
04-10-2008, 02:18 PM
I am a "fortunate son" whose other side/finance committee gave approval :D
I'd say the finance committee deserves a lifetime appointment!

Doug

robruffo
04-10-2008, 03:50 PM
I second that! Although my "committee", who is very beautiful to boot, actually forced me to upgrade to Sierra fronts, "and stop being so cheap" with myself. Kind of like reverse-WAF. :)

davef
04-11-2008, 02:30 AM
Hi Dave,

No reason to be concerned.. These are designed to be a friction type fitting and we have received a few reports of them falling out during shipping. UPS can be a bit rough on speakers :mad:

If they do fall out, simply pop them back in and there is nothing that can possibly be damaged in the process -- it is really that simple and they will absolutely not fall out in your home. It is a rather snug fitting.

We are experimenting with doing a minor mod on the tweeters in our factory whereby we add a bit of glue to the elastomer waveguide prior to assembly.. Problem is, glues out-gas and the tweeter dome itself can be sensitive to this.

Still, I assure you, it is highly unlikely yours would fall out during shipping and even if they should, just pop them right back in -- simpler then removing and re-installing the grille.

DougMac
04-11-2008, 04:01 AM
Hi Dave,

We are experimenting with doing a minor mod on the tweeters in our factory whereby we add a bit of glue to the elastomer waveguide prior to assembly.. Problem is, glues out-gas and the tweeter dome itself can be sensitive to this.

FWIW as a prospective customer, I'd prefer a short note packed with the speakers with a short explanation and some instructions compared to trying to come up with a gluing method.

Doug

DaveHo
04-11-2008, 07:10 AM
Dave,

My concern was with potential damage to the tweeter dome caused by the waveguide bouncing around. If you don't feel it's an issue, then I'm fine with it. Especially if glue outgassing is a concern. I can certianly handle popping them back in if it should occur.

On a related note have you ever stuck some of those G-force measuring stickers on a box? Like the one's you see used on Mythbusters. It would be interesting to see just how baddly they get treated. Or maybe, I don't want to know.:eek:

-Dave

robruffo
04-11-2008, 02:33 PM
In my case, nothing was damaged. I think the insert stayed floating more or less in place for a while.

davef
04-11-2008, 03:00 PM
FWIW as a prospective customer, I'd prefer a short note packed with the speakers with a short explanation and some instructions compared to trying to come up with a gluing method.

Hi Doug,

Honestly, it is an extremely rare occurence. I think we have received maybe 7 reports of this in total now, the chance of this happening is less than 2%. I should clarify though, we are working with SEAS in order to find a gluing solution and I fully trust whatever solution they come up (with regard to the potential of the adhesive fumes damaging the dome). Still, your recommendation is a good one with regard to inserting some form of documentation.

Dave,

My concern was with potential damage to the tweeter dome caused by the waveguide bouncing around. If you don't feel it's an issue, then I'm fine with it. Especially if glue outgassing is a concern. I can certianly handle popping them back in if it should occur.

This is a SEAS designed tweeter, these guys really know what they are doing and have fully earned my faith. We have yet to receive a report of a damaged tweeter and there are a lot of Sierra-1's out there now :)

On a related note have you ever stuck some of those G-force measuring stickers on a box? Like the one's you see used on Mythbusters. It would be interesting to see just how baddly they get treated. Or maybe, I don't want to know.:eek:-Dave

I would actually prefer not to know :o We have seen some damaged speakers that could bring a man to tears... Wost cases are when a forklift blade goes right through a cabinet...

davef
04-13-2008, 11:23 PM
--- I am pleased to say that as of today, this minor issue (difficult to actually call it a problem) has been fully resolved.

A flexible adhesive has been 100% approved for use to secure the waveguide inserts in place while still retaining the properties of the elastomer material without the possibility of out-gassing.

qwknuf6
12-14-2008, 02:23 PM
Ok . I have had my speakers (L/R/C Sierra 1's )for 6 days and just now found the inserts loose , 2 out of 3.. Sound better for sure after installing the inserts . Glad I found this thread .

Mark

slinc
12-15-2008, 06:54 PM
I received my L-C-R Sierras today and one of the waveguides had fallen out. I put it back in, of course. It didn't seem like a very snug fit but I doubt it will fall out again.
Haven't listened to them yet (waiting for cable and stands) but they certainly look beautiful in piano black.