PDA

View Full Version : What is the ideal distance from wall for Sierras?

robruffo
04-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Assuming we have an ultimately flexible room? (Which I am lucky enough to have :))

robruffo
04-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Specifying - I mean the back-wall, behind them.

curtis
04-09-2008, 03:56 PM
Every room is different, so it is something you should experiment with.

robruffo
04-09-2008, 04:24 PM
But there must be some guidelines... (Moving around my stands is far from easy) For example, what is the minimum recommended distance? Is there a maximum distance beyond which the rear port's effect will be lost?

If any use, the rear wall here is made of old, very irregular brick, that is almost 2 feet thick.

davef
04-11-2008, 10:42 PM
Curtis is right,

It is really something you must experiment with. Some of our customers prefer the bass reinforcement that having the speaker close to the wall will provide.. Others prefer the more neutral and open sound when bringing the speaker further out into the room...

robruffo
04-11-2008, 10:52 PM
Neutral I understand - but what do you mean by "open". This is a term who'se meaning I'm not sure about.

davef
04-14-2008, 12:20 AM
Neutral I understand - but what do you mean by "open". This is a term who'se meaning I'm not sure about.

By more "open" I mean a sound that is less constrained by boundaries, less directional. A good example would be someone speaking to you normally compared to speaking with their hands cupped around their mouth. The former would be described as more "open" sounding...

robruffo
04-14-2008, 01:39 AM
Ah, interesting. I understand now. I will also experiment further with positioning.

locomo
04-19-2008, 08:27 AM
Due to room constraints I'd like to position as close to the wall as possible.
What's the minimum distance ?

Thanks

curtis
04-19-2008, 08:45 AM
Due to room constraints I'd like to position as close to the wall as possible.
What's the minimum distance ?

Thanks
Well...to begin with, you have to have at least some clearance for the port, so I would say a few inches.