PDA

View Full Version : Center Speaker Question

kylem
03-31-2008, 11:20 AM
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and have been considering the purchase of Ascend speakers for my HT setup. I have a question though that I hope someone could help me with. The speakers that I'm considering for the left, right, and center are the CMT-340's. Because of the layout of the room, it is not possible for me to mount the center speaker above the display device, it will have to be mounted underneath on a shelf in the stand or cabinet.

Since the 340's are rear ported, should I be considering a different speaker for the center/mains? Will the center work fine on a shelf below the TV, or just acceptable but not optimum, or not very good at all? If it is acceptable, would an open back stand work better than a closed back cabinet?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

~Kyle

curtis
03-31-2008, 01:29 PM
It will work, and an open back would be preferable over a closed one.

kylem
03-31-2008, 04:56 PM
Thank you for the reply Curtis. If an open back stand is preferable, do you think it would be okay to use an enclosed cabinet with an open front for that section and the back removed from that section?

I'm looking for something that will satisfy my wife (if ya know what I mean). :rolleyes:

drewface
03-31-2008, 07:44 PM
that would be perfect. the idea behind having an open back is so the air moving from the rear port of the speaker has somewhere to go. other compartments not housing a speaker would not need an open back, except for running cables or if you needed more ventilation for one of your components.

kylem
03-31-2008, 07:54 PM
Awesome! Thanks a lot guys for helping me out.