PDA

View Full Version : OK, I'm Sold!

DougMac
03-20-2008, 02:28 PM
I had the opportunity to purchase a pair of "classic" HTM-200's. I'd read wonderful things about Ascends and was planning to use them in our new dedicated HT. I thought picking up a pair of used Ascends would give me a good idea of the product line's sonic quality. I know Ascend has a generous return policy, but I felt this would be an easier way to audition.

As I type, I'm sitting in our living room listening to Laurie Lewis. This room is really not a fair test. It's an open space with the kitchen and dining room, with a loft in the back. The vaulted ceiling is 22' high. All told, it's probably 8,000 cubic feet. The 200's are up to the task. They really sound great. I can't wait to hear them in our HT, which at 16x18x9 will be more appropriately sized.

The resident LR speakers are Boston Acoustics CR9's. Compared to the BA's, the 200's have a better low midrange. Tom Rozum, a baritone, sounds fuller. The acoustic guitars sound more distinct. The 200's sound a little more laid back in a good way. Highs are very controlled and detailed. They also seem to blend better with my old Infinity Servo sub.

Just for fun, I listened to Derek Truck's "Live at the Georgia Theater". It's a very energetic rock album and the 200's kept up with no problem, even played loud in this cavern! Soundstage and imaging were first rate.

I'm looking forward to spending more time with them, but the overall general impression is that these are very easy speakers to live with. They have a non fatiguing sound which invites extended listening.

These 200's will either end up as the rear surrounds in the HT or as my new home office speakers. If I'm as excited about these classic 200's I'm sure I'll be blown away by the 340's or Sierras when I order my HT setup.

The glowing reviews from both individuals and the industry are well deserved.

Doug

DougMac
03-25-2008, 05:36 PM
I've moved them down to my home office, in a space the same size as their eventual dedicated HT home.

I just finished listening to Bernstein conduct "West Side Story: Symphonic Dances". These little guys really hold their own! All I need is a nice sub and I'd be in business. My wife actually wants to put a flat panel in the office for casual TV viewing, especially since there's a Jotul wood stove to warm things up on cold winter nights. Looks like I'll be setting up not one but two Ascend arrays.

My son and his family were over for Easter. He was knocked out by the 200's imaging. He kept running to find more and more songs to throw at them. He ended up just smiling and shaking his head!

As I type, I'm listening to Anne Sophie Mutter play Sarasate's Zigeunerweisen. There's a lot of harmonics in this piece, but I just hear several notes that up until now I thought were standard fingered notes, but are actually harmonics! Anne does a terrific job, these are fingered harmonics played pp, but on the 200's you can clearly hear the timbre of the note played as a harmonic.

Doug

jvillas
03-25-2008, 07:47 PM
Wonderful Doug, sounds like your having a great time I'm looking forward to your additional impressions.
I am familiar with Anne Sophie Mutter, but not Sarasate's Zigeunerweisen. You can bet I'll be looking up this recording. Thanks.

DougMac
03-26-2008, 05:51 AM
Wonderful Doug, sounds like your having a great time I'm looking forward to your additional impressions.
I am familiar with Anne Sophie Mutter, but not Sarasate's Zigeunerweisen. You can bet I'll be looking up this recording. Thanks.
Here's a little info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zigeunerweisen

I consider it heavily romantic gypsy music. I've always had a soft spot for gypsy music, to the bewilderment of my family.

I play violin just good enough to have an appreciation for the incredible skill it takes to play this piece. It's full of flashy bow techniques, incredibly fast runs, double stops and fingered harmonics. Even if you know nothing about playing the violin, it's a fun piece.

Doug