PDA

View Full Version : Hey there, DaveHo checking in

DaveHo
02-23-2008, 08:48 AM
I became an Ascend owner on Thursday. Picked up a pair of 170 classics from a local fellow for a mere $150. I couldn't pass up a good deal & was interested to hear what all the excitement is about.

I put them into my 7.1 system as front left & rights & have been listening to a ton of Redbook & 2 channel SACD material over the last couple of days. The low end is being handled by an SVS PB12-Plus/2. The surprising thing. They replaced a pair of Paradigm Studio 100's and I don't feel like I've downgraded. Both speakers are very different sounding to be sure and I'm still evaluating, but overall I really like what I hear.

Maybe it's just beacause I've had the Paradigms for almost 5 years and am itching for something different, but I'm actually considering ditching the Paradigms. Am I nuts? I know loaded question given the audience, but I'm having a hard time convincing myself. Might have to pick up a pair of SE's or Sierras for comparison.

-Dave

BradJudy
02-23-2008, 01:36 PM
Welcome. I still have a pair of CBM-170 classics (I started with Ascend by buying three CBM-170s and a pair of HTM-200s) and they are very good speakers. You got a real deal at $150.

As for being nuts, you're never crazy to enjoy one speaker more than another, even if the costs are drastically different or people tell you the other one is better. You'll get more joy out of it if you pick what you like and ignore what people tell you to like. :)

jvillas
02-23-2008, 03:56 PM
Welcome DaveHo,we have a great community here. I look forward to hearing from you. As for being nuts well BradJudy is spot on.

davef
02-25-2008, 06:19 PM
Hi DaveHo,

Welcome to our little community!

Please feel free to contact me if I can offer any assistance.