PDA

View Full Version : Question about upgrade path alternatives

curtis
08-26-2003, 01:40 PM
Some say that the importance of timbre matched surrounds is not important as the L/C/R. While that may be true, I think timbre matched surrounds is also important....there is a lot of movies now with stuff going from front to back or vice versa.

That probably didn't help much did it?

-curtis

AjayRav
08-27-2003, 08:58 AM
Hi Smokey,

I use Klipsch bookshelves as my surrounds and they work well with home theater. My other speakers are CBM170s, a CMT340c and a RAVA sub. I'm using a Marantz receiver, CD changer and DVD player. I demo'd a couple of musicals as well as action flix and they all ound great in DD or DTS. For music, I stick to 2-channel, so the surrounds are of. I have been fairly disappointed with the effects of ProLogic 2, Circle Surround and DSP with music.

Ajay

Quinn
08-27-2003, 12:00 PM
I've got Paradigm Atoms in white as surrounds in a compromise on WAF. I'm not that concerned with the surround match of course as I do about 5-10% movies. If/when I go to multi-channel music then I'll likely want matching surrounds.

Gman
08-27-2003, 01:25 PM
I use a mix match of speakers right now. My L/R are Fried R4's CMT-340 center and PSB Ambient 1's as surrounds. Best my HT has ever sounded. I have auditioned like 5 different center channels and the 340 is the best I have found so far. I would love to try a pair of 170's for the L/R to see what a difference matching fronts would do for the sound. Then maybe some 200's for the surrounds. I bet it all makes a difference, but I would do the surrounds last as I listen to two channel music.

G out

smokey
08-27-2003, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the advice everybody. It kind of goes with what I expected, that matching surrounds is desirable, but certainly not the key element in creating good home theater.

-Smokey

Thanks, the Management.