PDA

View Full Version : Siera or 340 SE?

keithpkp
02-13-2008, 07:33 AM
My room size is 18x20 x18 (ceiling). Room is huge. My set up at the moment is
Onkyo 805 and HSU VTF2.3. I have auditioned B&W and Dynaudio at the Home Theater store. I like the DynAudio. More specificallly the treble clarity; mid range and low was good but not obviously the best I heard.

I am hoping that Ascend can compete with the Dynaudio.
BTW which speaker will fill the room and have the same or better treble clarity as the Dynaudio.

curtis
02-13-2008, 07:56 AM
Which Dynaudio?

Either Ascend will not have a problem filling that room.

keithpkp
02-13-2008, 08:01 AM
Audience 42 and 52

keithpkp
02-13-2008, 08:03 AM
BTW, is there a significant increase in treble clarity between the Siera and 340 SE?

Mag_Neato
02-13-2008, 08:09 AM
A friend who owns the 340SE's listened to my Sierra's. He said the biggest difference was that he heard more of the subtle details through the Sierra's compared to the 340's, and that the bass was deeper.

curtis
02-13-2008, 08:55 AM
If you are looking at the 52 and 42, then have a listen to the 340SE.

keithpkp
02-13-2008, 03:59 PM
Curtis,

The Sierra is not out of my price range, the wife rather have bookshelves.

I see that Sierra has a hole at the back is that wall mounting?
Also at the same volume will the Sierra play louder than the 340 SE?

MichaelG
02-13-2008, 06:22 PM
My learnings (thank you Dave) when I recently upgraded to Sierras were that the 340's, at the same volume on my Onkyo 805 receiver, will play 5 dbs louder than the Sierra's because they are more efficient. The Sierra's do play plenty loud.

My experience is that my 340's are great speakers but the Sierra's do provide a greater clarity, better soundstage, and more bass. I have an HSU VTF3.2 sub that has not been used for several days since the Sierra's came. With music and regular TV a sub is unnecessary for me. A total surprise even though I read it here. If I want to watch an action movie like War of the Worlds and rock the house, the sub will get turned back on.

One of the things that most impresses me about Ascend is the outstanding customer service. When I was trying to figure things out, I sent Dave a couple of emails and he was quick to help. I don't know that I have ever bought anything like my first set of Ascend speakers where I have felt such a personal connection 1.5 years later.

Michael

curtis
02-15-2008, 07:35 PM
I see that Sierra has a hole at the back is that wall mounting?

It is not meant for wall mounting. It it there to allow them to be attached to the TP24 stand.

azanon
02-25-2008, 07:35 AM
With music and regular TV a sub is unnecessary for me. A total surprise even though I read it here. If I want to watch an action movie like War of the Worlds and rock the house, the sub will get turned back on.
Michael

Hopefully, you have a receiver that essentially "automates" this.

If you set front L/R to large and play music in stereo, then the sub doesn't come on anyway. But with the sub in the pre-out, it will play for 5.1 movies for both the LFE channel as well as any other speakers you have in your setup that are set to small (such as your surrounds?).

MichaelG
02-26-2008, 06:06 PM
I have the Onkyo 805 and just go into the config and turn the sub off as it is off 80% of the time. That way I can listen to Dolby Digital 5 channel with the bass through the Sierra's. It just takes a few seconds to turn it back on and readjust the front crossovers to 60HZ.

I could use Pure Audio or Direct which seem to cut the sub but I like the sound better using Audyssey's settings through Dolby Digital. In my house, the sub comes through multiple floors and disturbs my wife so I only turn it on for heavy action movies or rock music when it won't disturb others. With the Sierra's, this is not really a sacrifice now!

Michael

azanon
02-27-2008, 07:52 AM
I have the Onkyo 805 and just go into the config and turn the sub off as it is off 80% of the time. That way I can listen to Dolby Digital 5 channel with the bass through the Sierra's. It just takes a few seconds to turn it back on and readjust the front crossovers to 60HZ.

I could use Pure Audio or Direct which seem to cut the sub but I like the sound better using Audyssey's settings through Dolby Digital. In my house, the sub comes through multiple floors and disturbs my wife so I only turn it on for heavy action movies or rock music when it won't disturb others. With the Sierra's, this is not really a sacrifice now!

Michael

Hmm, ok. I guess I could see why you would want to do it manually if you also like the sub for some music, like rock music that you mentioned. But if it was just a situation of preferring the sub off for music, and on for movies, setting the R/L to "large" pretty much does that automatically.

marshhayden
02-23-2011, 09:32 AM
Owner is a friend of my 340S's I listened to the Sierra. The big difference that it's compared with 340 people heard the Sierra through the fine detail and deep bass, he said.