PDA

View Full Version : Sierra-1's with Rythmik 12" servo sub

Mag_Neato
02-01-2008, 08:19 AM
Just sharing an experience with the forum.

I have been enjoying my Sierras since Ascend began selling them back in May(or was it April?). Anyhow, I initially ran them full range before hooking up a Onix Rocket UFW-10 sub with them. For movies it was a very good combo, though not quite as deep as I would have liked. For music, I prefered the Sierras full range w/out sub. It just seemed to get a bit muddied at times, especially compared to the incredible detail of the Sierras.

I decided to sell the UFW-10 and put together a 12" direct-servo sealed sub from Rythmik Audio. I had a 2cu.ft. sealed enclosure built by RAW Acoustics since I don't have access to the equipment to do it myself. I had the Rythmik kit sitting in the boxes and was just staring at them, so I needed to do something.

From the first time I turned it on I could tell right away a big difference. Smooth and deeeeeeeep. It may lack some upper bass slam of the UFW-10, but it goes very deep and stays composed. It compliments the Sierras almost perfectly. I say almost because I think there will always be an advantage to running the Sierras full range w/out a sub. It will simply sound more cohesive. I'm not saying the sub does anything wrong, just my opinion.

Now for something that caught me off-guard. Last night I had put in the Tokyo Drift DVD. There was the scene of the parking garage drift race. I had to use the bathroom and let it play. As I was looking in the mirror, it was shaking violently. I thought at first I had bumped the counter top and made it shake. I realized it was shaking from the sound pressure produced by the sub in the livingroom, down the hall. It was almost like there was an earthquake. The sound did not bother my ears, but was like a natural low frequency sound from, say, lightning. I was impressed.

Anyhow, that's it. Anyone looking for a very good sub to pair with their Ascends should definitely give Rythmik a look. Brian is a pleasure to deal with like Dave F. here.

BradJudy
02-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Cool - I've often thought about building a Rythmik sub - Audioferret loves his.

How much was the enclosure from RAW?

Mag_Neato
02-04-2008, 05:08 AM
The enclosure is unfinished 3/4" MDF with internal bracing. It came with polyfil and floor spikes. Shipped complete to Cleveland from B.C. was around $300. I will someday put some type of finish on it, but the color actually matches well with the natural bamboo Sierras.

ebh
02-06-2008, 11:54 AM
nice story. As soon as i can get it together to build an enclosure i plan on selling my UFW-10 and going for the new Rythmik 15". An upgrade from 340s to Sierras, maybe a Marantz 7001 and then I think I will be quite set.

Pilk
02-08-2008, 09:18 AM
I'm considering a pair of the 12" Rythmik kits as well. I may opt for 1 15" but the box plans would have to be customized to fit my application. I have an order in on a MFW-15 but looks to be two months wait and I'm not too sure I want a ported sub. I like the idea of 2 sealed subs for my system. I have a friend that can put together some boxes from the Rythmik site. I love my Sierra-1's and have been playing them full range, no subs. They have their limits on the low end (it is a bookshelf after all). I didn't want to add bass noise, just music. The Rythmik caught my eye and I've been really considering putting in my order. Waiting for an email from the owner to see whether he recommends 1 15" or 2 12"......or TWOOOOOOO 15'ssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!. STOP ME ANYTIME:eek:.

Mag_Neato
02-08-2008, 10:19 AM
I've never owned a 15" sub, but I'd imagine higher output and lower response.

I was playing a movie scene last night and turned the volume louder than I normally would for kicks. My pant leg flapped at one point.

Whichever version you choose from Rythmik will sound great.

muzz
06-21-2008, 04:08 PM
I built a 12" Rythmik DS myself instead of buying off the shelf.

Sounds fabulous.
Ikka tests ALOT of different subs(including high end), and he likes the Rythmiks as well.

Like any sub, it has it's drawbacks, but it's a good sub IMO.

VanJerry
06-22-2008, 09:07 AM
Like any sub, it has it's drawbacks, but it's a good sub IMO.

Hi Muzz,

Can you elaborate? Aside from room effects issues or limits in SPL's I thought with stuff like direct servo that the attraction of a Rythmik was that it inherently addresses the typical drawbacks of most subs without resorting to extremes in things like size, watts (or cost :) )

I'm still building a 2 cu.ft. sealed 12" w/PEQ but just had to ask. Maybe there's something I can look into tweaking during the build.

muzz
06-23-2008, 06:53 AM
Nope- You got it, Max SPL is a bit lower, although I believe it would satisfy MOST folks without issue.
War of the Worlds killer it isn't, but not many are.

I can tell ya that MY Rythmik Amp gets pretty hot when I really push it for extended periods, it actually shut down once, so I had to put a fan behind it to finish that listening session.

Great extension at reasonable volume levels are a plus, especially at such a small footprint.
Sounds great matched up with my Sierras.

VanJerry
06-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Great to hear that. And much thanks for giving your Rythmik what sounds like a genuine field test.

Considering the acoustic limitations of where I live I doubt if I'll ever get to the hot point but now when I do I won't freak at a little "glow" in the corner.

muzz
06-26-2008, 11:20 AM
There were some beatings being handed out that night.....I have run this very aggressively many other times without issue.
Normally it just gets very hot when slammed, like it is getting right now...at the rate I'm pumping it right now,within next hour it'll get hot.

muzz
08-29-2008, 12:53 PM
Slammin' it again with the double disc Eagles farewell from Melbourne DVD..

Taking it like a champ at high volume, higher than 90% would want.

Neighbors aren't liking me right now is my guess......:D:p