PDA

View Full Version : Calibration question?

STRONGBADF1
01-24-2008, 05:32 AM
I was calibrating my new Ascends last night (with a ratshack analog meter using the receivers test tones) and something struck me as odd...

I have 340's across the front and the left and rights are the same volume but I had to bring the center speaker down 4db's. Why? It's the same speaker.

Any thoughts? Is this common?

I have a Yamaha RX-V2500 receiver and when you put a DVD in a "dialog lift" message is displayed...that shouldn't come into play when using the receivers test tones should it?

SBF1

curtis
01-24-2008, 07:15 AM
It is all about room acoustics and speaker positioning.

For the dialog lift does not come into play with the test tones, but does that happen with every DVD? Is something like night mode or dynamic compression enabled on the receiver?

STRONGBADF1
01-24-2008, 08:17 AM
It is all about room acoustics and speaker positioning.

For the dialog lift does not come into play with the test tones, but does that happen with every DVD? Is something like night mode or dynamic compression enabled on the receiver?

Hi Curtis,

I do not have any compression or night mode activated.

I have to pull out the manual and read up on the dialog lift again.

The three front speakers are all 11.5' away so distance shouldn't have any effect.

Just curious to see if anyone else has experienced this.

SBF1

curtis
01-24-2008, 08:23 AM
They are all 11.5" away, but is the center angled towards the listener, is it closer to the back wall? Just some things to look at.

And yes, I experience the same thing. My center is a tad closer, buts sits on top of a TV, and is closer to the back wall.

STRONGBADF1
01-24-2008, 09:36 AM
They are all 11.5" away, but is the center angled towards the listener, is it closer to the back wall? Just some things to look at.

And yes, I experience the same thing. My center is a tad closer, buts sits on top of a TV, and is closer to the back wall.

All three speakers are angled directly at the sweet spot and being that they are all 11.5' away would make the left and right a little further away from the wall, maybe 6"??? Horizontal vs vertical??? Just curious.

System sounds pretty good and I will start tweaking over the weekend!:cool: I'll try to remember to let you know if I find anything receiver related.

Thanks for responding Curtis.

SBF1