PDA

View Full Version : Running 150 miles (upping the ante from last year's 100 miler)

tjennings
01-12-2008, 09:17 PM
Since I was able to complete the Mohican 100 trail race last June, I decided to sign up for the longest trail ultra in the U.S. - the McNaughton Park 150 Trail Race (http://www.mcnaughtonparktrailruns.com/geninfo.htm), April 11th - 13th (52 hour time limit this year, up from the 48 hrs last year) in the Peoria IL suburb of Pekin. :p

Wish me luck!

I had a new friend over the night to do a home theater demo and he was blown away by the sound of the Ascends! Of course he was, how could he not be!
-- Tom --
http://run100forcharity.info (http://run100forcharity.info/)

drewface
01-14-2008, 01:43 PM
you're crazy :p

good luck with this, Tom!

tjennings
01-14-2008, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the good luck wishes - I'll need it! This will take sleep deprivation to a whole new level for me as I'll have to try making it through both Friday and Saturday nights on the move. Sounds really tough, I had a hard enough time on the Mohican 100 just making it through one night of being on the move. Yikes.

I see this race director is now offering a 200 mile trail ultra, so this is the 2nd longest race now in the U.S., not the longest. :( Oh well, it WAS when I signed up for it last year!

Jonnyozero3
01-16-2008, 07:53 AM
Haha, you're insane! I love it!

Good luck, keep us updating on your training. I'm assuming you'll be running full marathons regularly just to burn off a big dinner :)

Really, I'm impressed. And to think I was just promising myself to race a half this year to stay in shape, lol. I feel lame now!

tjennings
01-16-2008, 09:55 AM
Thanks Jon (I think) ! :p

Good luck with your half marathon, that is a fun distance and race. I've never run a true marathon race, but after I'm done with this trail ultra in April I may train for our local marathon which is nice and FLAT unlike these trail ultras! :)

Target mileage:
Jan - 275
Feb - 325
Mar - 375 to 400
2 week taper to the 150 miler

drewface
01-17-2008, 05:12 PM
Good luck with your half marathon, that is a fun distance and race. I've never run a true marathon race, but after I'm done with this trail ultra in April I may train for our local marathon which is nice and FLAT unlike these trail ultras!do you really need training for 13.1 miles after running 150?

Jonnyozero3
01-17-2008, 05:18 PM
I'm sure not, but I'm guessing if he wants to do it for time and speed, he'll have to train appropriately, because his body will be used to a slower pace for a longer time, versus something "quick" like a half or a full marathon.

I find it hilarious I had to put "quick" in quotation marks. Heh.

tjennings
01-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Jon is exactly right - currently I'm only doing looooong sloooooow distance running, and to switch over to marathon training, I'll need to do more speed work. I'm currently doing ONLY low heart rate aerobic base building - the goal being to maximize my aerobic energy delivery system (so I'm burning fat / fatty acids for fuel).

When the race is over, I'll mix in some anaerobic high heart rate runs, as well as 5K, 10K and half marathon races during the busy summer race season. Completely different training.

Going into the Mohican 100 last year I was around 4 or 5 % bodyfat, and a day or two after the race I was down to about 2.5% BF. Burned a lot of calories on that 100 miler... mostly fat! :)