PDA

View Full Version : For those who enjoy your CBM 170s...

Ben_Wood
02-14-2004, 06:56 AM
Disastar,
Check out the thread entitled "Headphones" under the "Other Speakers and Subwoofers" heading. I think if you like Grado cans you'll probably enjoy the CBM-170s.

bombadil67
02-14-2004, 09:00 AM
I know this doesn't answer your question; but I just received my CBM-170s and all I can think about is rolling out all my favorite CDs' and just listen to the music. The last thing on my mind right now is headphones! Actually some nice phones are probably in the future, but not yet. Even on my "budget" electronics these speakers are amazing, they are simply superior to my Monitor Audio Silver 5i's (paid over $700 for these). O.K. I have to go find my jaw now, I'll quit the ranting and raving. :-)

Cliff

disastar
02-14-2004, 09:23 AM
Thanks guys!

Ben_Wood
02-14-2004, 10:42 AM
Bombadil67, (is that as in Tom Bombadil from "The Lord of the Rings"?)first of all welcome to our forum. I've read many times that people are rediscovering their musical collections thanks to Ascend. I spend probably 80% of the time listening to music as opposed to watching movies! Enjoy them, you've made a very sound investment (pun intended)!

Disastar, welcome also! I, too am interested in Grado headphones. What model do you have? Ascend speakers IMHO are a viable option to consider. Post any questions or comments and one of our "experts" will be glad to help.

Paul_Fisher
02-15-2004, 05:18 AM
I had a pair of Grado SR60's and they were so uncomfortable I sold them. I then got some Sennheisers and they fit wonderful. Just food for thought.

disastar
02-15-2004, 05:54 AM
Hi Ben,

I have a pair of the Grado SR-60s. I love them. They truly are the best value in headphones on the market.

There are town downsides to the headphones: 1) The headband and foam ears are uncomfortable for many weeks until they conform to your head. At first, I could only use the headphones for an hour or two before they became unwearable. After a few days they became noticably more comfortable. After a month, I never thought about it again. I do believe the sound quality is worth the initial "pain".
2) They are open cans, so everyone can hear what you're listening to. Not a concern for me.

I really love them. The service from Grado is excellent too. I thought one of the drivers was starting to go in my SR-60s, so I emailed grado and they responded the same day, telling me to simply ship them back and they would fix it or send me a new pair for free. No warranty questions whatsoever.

disastar
02-15-2004, 05:56 AM
oops, I mean "two downsides" not "town downsides". And just a clarification. The driver in the headphone was fine and the problem lied elsewhere.

No problems with them after a couple of years now and they sound as good as ever.

Ben_Wood
02-15-2004, 09:38 AM
Anyone have any experiences with SR 80s or SR 125s?

bombadil67
02-15-2004, 11:30 AM
Ben,

Right you are, old Tom Bombadil . . . my favorite character in LOTR. To bad he didn't make the cut on film; unless he shows up in the last one. I haven't seen it yet!

Thanks for the welcome.

Cliff