PDA

View Full Version : Some new hi-rez titles....

Ben_Wood
02-11-2004, 04:27 AM
Curtis, I had "Two Against Nature" and while I consider myself to be a Steely Dan fan, the music on this disc just didn't do anything for me. I wanted to like it, but ended up selling it on eBay. "BMG" is a disc that I have been considering buying for a while, but I just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
I do have two DVD-As coming: America "Homecoming" and Foreigner "4". I'll post my opinions after some serious listening.

curtis
02-11-2004, 06:29 AM
I got "Two Against Nature" DVD-A on a whim. I really like the "Everything Must Go" CD, but was not thrilled with the DVD-A version.

Maybe Steely Dan does not sound good in multi-channel?? [:)]

When I get home...I will be cranking up BMG....again!

-curtis

JohnnyCasaba
02-11-2004, 07:05 AM
Just talking about Steely here, I really like them as well, have most of the older releases, love the latest one "Everything Must Go", but I was also disappointed with "Two Against Nature".

Ben_Wood
02-11-2004, 08:11 AM
I bought the box set "Citizen Steely Dan" from BMG for around $25 w/free shipping about 6 months ago. Highly recommended, but I'd truly love for "Aja" to be released in Hi-Rez; to me that was their ultimate release. I had it on a MFSL lp for years, but finally sold my turntable and all of my half-speed mastered vinyl.

Ben_Wood
02-11-2004, 08:13 AM
Curtis, I know you have the Pioneer universal player; Johnny which player do you have?

JohnnyCasaba
02-11-2004, 08:58 AM
Ben,

Still no uni for me, I took home a couple to demo, but outside of the MC mixes, I heard no real difference with the 2 channel hi-rez stuff and the redbook portions or cd's.

Aja may be my favorite as well, tough choice between it and Royal Scam. I really like all of their albums with the exception of Two Against Nature. I don't understand why Gaucho is out on Hi-Rez but Aja is not. But I highly recommend Everything Must Go, even just the redbook CD, I was not that thrilled with the MC mix of it though.

Ben_Wood
02-11-2004, 10:18 AM
I know what you mean, "Gaucho" had one minor hit "Hey Nineteen" (that I never cared for) while "Aja" was loaded with great songs like "Peg", "Deacon Blues", "Josie", and "Black Cow". Seems like a no-brainer to release it in Hi-Rez.

Gregisme
02-12-2004, 03:31 AM
Ben -

So why did you decide to sell your turnable/vinyl? Are the new formats just as good and/or better, or were you just tired of fumbling around with vinyl?

Ben_Wood
02-12-2004, 05:23 AM
Greg there were several reasons for selling off the vinyl. I just didn't listen to it much for the last several years. I had just invested in a home theater system and basically had two audio systems, but did not have a room that I could put the old stereo in. I'm getting lazy I guess, back in my younger years I didn't mind putting in the extra effort it takes playing and taking care of lps. Were all of these reasons good enough to sell a stereo that I had had for over 20 years? I don't really know, I still miss the old system at times but I guess I was being practical. I got good a fairly good price from my old turntable and cartridge and a Dr. paid me $20 each for the 40 MFSL lps that I had so it helped defray the cost of my HT system. In a perfect world I would have been able to have kept and enjoy both systems.

Gregisme
02-12-2004, 12:13 PM
gotcha, thanks.

Gregisme
02-12-2004, 12:28 PM
The kind of stuff I listen to mostly is not going to be found on SACD & DVD-A any time soon. If anything, I might pick up a cheapy all-format player like the Pioneer 563 (or maybe the Toshiba that's coming soon) for those few titles I may want to check out.

My bigger priority at this point is to find a REALLY good regular cd player used. I'm curious to see how good cds can sound on a high quality player, supposedly getting close to duplicating the sound of vinyl in the process.

Gregisme
02-12-2004, 12:39 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by curtis

I got some new hi-rez titles the last couple of days, all DVD-A's.

Blue Man Group - I LOVE this disc. This is truely "crank it up" stuff.

-curtis
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

What is the name of this one? I picked up a couple regular Blue Man Group cds from the library to check out a couple months ago. After giving them a couple listens, I was underwhelmed. Very percussion heavy music which tended to sound too much the same after a while. Then again, listening only a couple times isn't really fair, but it made it hard for me to keep trying.

curtis
02-12-2004, 12:48 PM
The one I have is just called Blue Man Group.

And yes..it is pretty percussion heavy.

-curtis

Bighitter
02-14-2004, 11:17 AM
Damnit I knew I forgot a album while I was BB today. I did pickup a 563a and Diana Krall's When I look into your eyes.

Moving from DVD-A only on the Panasonic CP-72 to DVD-A and SACD on the 563a is great. Now I am listening to Pink Floyd, Norah Jones again via the SACD layer instead of normal CD. Impressive difference to say the least. Tomorrow I will throw some DVD-A at the player to see how it sounds.

curtis
02-14-2004, 12:51 PM
Bighitter.....did you CP72 die on you? Mine died in 8 months, and that is why I got the 563a. You probably got the 563a on that sale Best Buy had....killer deal!!

-curtis

Bighitter
02-14-2004, 11:36 PM
Actually the CP-72 is still going strong, I just wanted SACD and with the "sale" at BB I figured I would go ahead and pick up the 563a. Actually the full-time price is going to $149 now, however with the the sale at $141 AND the additional 10% off for the loyal customer weekend the total price was $127 + tax. Amazing deal.

curtis
02-15-2004, 01:14 AM
How does the sound of DVD-A's compare between the two?

-curtis

Bighitter
02-15-2004, 01:22 AM
I will report that back later today. I haven't had a chance yet to listen.

Ben_Wood
02-15-2004, 09:54 AM
Do ya'll hear any difference in quality or resolution between the m/c 96kHz/24 bit tracks and the sometimes available 192kHz/24 bit stereo tracks?

Bighitter
03-06-2004, 02:51 AM
Well after listening when I have had a chance over the past 2 weeks I believe the 563a is better on DVD-A than the CP-72, though no major differences. Just little nuances in the sound and some of the high end seems to be a little bit clearer now. It does not seem to like WMA files though so those will get left for hte CP-72 for now until the HTPC is completed.

Ben_Wood
03-06-2004, 08:11 AM
Bighitter, what DVD-As do you have?

Bighitter
03-06-2004, 10:41 AM
Linkin Park - Re-animation
Doors - LA Woman
Fleetwood Mac - Rumors

Mag_Neato
04-21-2004, 05:01 AM
Just picked up a Peter Gabriel SACD at lunch. I forgot the title, but it has Solsbury hill, Sledgehammer, etc., all remastered. Some sort of compilation disc. Has anyone heard this disc? Also, Curtis, I have not really hooked up the 563a yet(gotta find time), is there any setup tips for SACD playback not mentioned in the manual?

Thanks,

MAG

curtis
04-21-2004, 07:08 AM
Yeah...it is defaulted to play SACD in two-channel mode....you have to read the manual and get it into multichannel. I thought my was broken until I read the manual.

-curtis

Dave Nelms
04-21-2004, 11:23 AM
Curtis-

I have an interesting DVD-Audio disc called 'Crash Boom Bang'.

Really a fun one with the kids. It is a disc that contains all of the sound effects from the Warner Brother Looney Tunes cartoons. It also has a few funny little adds in 5.1. But the best part is to listen with the kids to an audio only version of 'Duck Dodgers'.

Dave Nelms

curtis
04-21-2004, 03:22 PM
Cool! We watch Duck Dodgers!

-curtis

Mag_Neato
04-22-2004, 04:28 AM
Uuhhh....heh heh...he said "Dodgers"! I digress...Curtis, I noticed the SACD says stereo on the case, if I set output of player to multi-channel will that mess anything up playback-wise?

Thanks,

MAG

curtis
04-22-2004, 05:37 AM
Some SACD's are only 2-channel. If the player is set to multi-channel, the 2-channel discs will still play fine.

-curtis

Dave Nelms
04-22-2004, 10:45 AM
Hey Curtis-

I was looking at another unnamed home theater forum (opps, I guess I just named it) anyway, and someone sugested listening to Emmerson Lake and Palmer's DVD-A of Brain Salad Surgery for some good bass in one of the songs.

I always loved the album but thought the DVD-a mix was just a little too surround. Perhaps i should use this for some critical listening.

Dave Nelms

Dave Nelms
04-26-2004, 09:25 AM
Saw the Blue Man Groups new concert on Direct Tv the other night. Unable to view it in my theater room so I could not comment on the audio. However, I checked thier web site and the new DVD will have 3 songs from thier new album which will be mastered in 5.1.

It should be really good. there was no word on if the concert is recorded in 5.1 but I cannot imagine it not being done that way but worse things have happened.

Dave Nelms

curtis
05-01-2004, 01:55 PM
Dave...just got the DVD....and it IS GOOD.

-curtis

Dave Nelms
05-02-2004, 10:50 AM
Curtis-

When I get my system back together that is probably going to be one of my first software purchases.

That and Step into Liquid.....

Dave Nelms

curtis
05-02-2004, 11:21 AM
ahhhh....Step into Liquid is suppose to be very good too....that one should be here tomorrow from Netflix. I will let you know how it is.

-curtis

graphicguy
05-21-2004, 05:04 AM
Favorite multi-channel disks (SACD, DVD-A, DVD concerts in 5.1)....

Pink Floyd--Dark Side of the Moon-if ever there was a piece of work that cried for hi-rez, multichannel this is the one. And it's done very well, too...especially considering its age
YES--Close to the Edge-right up there with DSOTM as far as sonics and well done multi-channel
Train (DVD)--Probably one of the best concert DVDs I've seen or heard...live in my favorite city, San Francisco. Even if you're a wee bit interested in their music, pick this one up.
Alison Krause and Union Station (DVD)--rates up their with Train with better PQ (plus, if Alison would have me, she could be my Dixie Chicken)
Beach Boys--Pet Sounds-finally a mix of this great music that shows Brian Wilson's genius
Heart (DVD)--Live in Seattle...the girls can still crank it..two of the most beautiful voices in rock & roll

Just a few of the ones I've got my hands on. There are a few "stinkers" you should stay away from, but that's another topic.

Sony WE610 60" LCD RPTV
Pioneer Elite 59TXi AVR
Pioneer Elite 59AVi Universal DVD player
CBM 170 Front L/R
CBM 340c Center
HTM 200s Rear L/R and rear surround (6.1)
HSU VTF-3
Monster THX certified interconnects
DIY speaker cable (that's better than anyhing I can purchase elsewhere)

Ben_Wood
05-22-2004, 06:03 AM
Hi graphicguy, nice to see you here. We had talked on cheaphometheater.com a while back (I'm bassnbrim). What version of "Close to the Edge" are you talking about? I was hoping that Rhino would release it on DVD-A, like "Fragile" and "Magnification". Its always good to see my favorite band get some positive press! [:D]

graphicguy
05-22-2004, 11:56 PM
bassnbrim....hello, again! Good to hear from you. Unfortunately, cheaphometheater has been stagnant for quite some time so I haven't been back there in a while.

My appologies, I meant "Fragile" on DVD-A, not "Close to the Edge". Don't know if Close to the Edge is even offered on multi-channel, hi rez versions.

I do have the concert DVD, Symphonique-Live. Also excellent, by the way...in both sound and PQ. I know YES has another concert DVD out that includes Rick Wakeman, but haven't heard or seen it. I think it was recorded at House of Blues a couple of years ago. I always threaten to get it just for Rick Wakeman's participation, but the set list is very near to what Symphonique's is.

Sony WE610 60" LCD RPTV
Pioneer Elite 59TXi AVR
CBM 170 Front L/R
CBM 340c Center
HSU VTF-3

Ben_Wood
05-23-2004, 06:06 AM
I thought you meant "Fragile"! Boy, I'd love for Rhino to release "CttE" in Hi-Rez. I agree with you on "Symphonic Live" being an awesome concert dvd, I hope that JohnnyCasaba, another Yes fan on the board will see it soon and post his impressions of it. I've mentioned it before, but I owe cheaphometheater.com big-time, thats where I first found out about Ascend Acoustics. Sad to see the demise of CHT. Good talking with you again. [:)]

graphicguy
05-26-2004, 12:45 AM
Don't know if anyone here is a Matchbox20 fan, but I watched their new concert DVD last night. I'd rate it high up there with any of the other concert DVDs currently on the market.

Sony WE610 60" LCD RPTV
Pioneer Elite 59TXi AVR
CBM 170 Front L/R
CBM 340c Center
HSU VTF-3

Dave Nelms
05-26-2004, 08:53 AM
Graphicguy-

If I am not mistaken there are some DVds out there with Rick Wakemam but no new releases with him as member of YES. He does appear on the classic 'Yessongs' film but that is sadly only in 2 channel stereo. There is also a 'Live from the front row' DVD with Wakeman. But if there is a new release that I am not aware of I would be happy to hear about it.

I also am a big YES fan and would love to see (I mean hear) some of the classsic YES titles remastered to DVD-A. Not only to hear them in 5.1 but to enjoy the benifit of high res audio. My old albums and BIC turntable just could not do the recordings justice.

Dave Nelms

Ben_Wood
05-26-2004, 11:11 AM
Hey Dave, nice to see yet another Yes fan on the forum! I can highly recommend "Fragile" and "Magnification" on DVD-A. Rumors surface occasionally about upcoming releases of classic Yes albums on either SACD or DVD-A, so there is some hope for additional material on Hi-Rez. Yes is supposed to release an acoustic-only dvd in the next few months with the classic lineup (Anderson, Squire, Howe, White, and Wakeman) and there is a documentary dvd out now (YesSpeak) that has interviews with all of the current members. A BIC turntable? One of my favorite turntables of all time was the BIC I had many years ago, now those were the "good ole days"!

graphicguy
05-28-2004, 12:31 AM
Dave....Ben....

The YES DVD with Wakeman is "live from the front row". Isn't that the concert they did at House of Blues? I would love to see a DVD with the lineup when it included Tony Kaye and Bill Bruford (in addition to Wakeman). Certain groups just cry for hi-rez, multi-channel. Pink Floyd, YES, King Crimson, ELP, Zeplin are just a few. I've seen one ELP DVD concert. It was terrible.

Sony WE610 60" LCD RPTV
Pioneer Elite 59TXi AVR
CBM 170 Front L/R
CBM 340c Center
HSU VTF-3

Dave Nelms
05-30-2004, 01:45 AM
Graphic Guy-

I will have to check into wheather or not the 'Live from the Front Row" concert is a Yes concert. I was under the impression it was a Rick Wakeman concert. I do not think it was recorded at the House of Blues. The concert that was recorded at the House of Blues was "the House of Yes" and is available on DVD and (I think) DVHS. I saw this concert on Direct tv as well as the same show on DVD. Picture and sound are good but not great.[:(]

I really wish they would have put the 'House of Yes' show I saw at the Universal Amp a few years back. All classic tunes, nothing from the Buggles/Trvor Rabbin era.[:p]

Hey Ben-

I do have all of the Yes DVD-A titles. I even have a demo from JVC when I purchased my first DVDA player. Nothing spectaculat though. I guess is should look at the yes website ...[:I]

Yes a BIC turntable. Still have it, don't know if it still works. The dust cover is cracked though. Spent many a teenage night listening to Yessongs and Close to the Edge on that baby. Spent alot of cash (at the time) for good seats to the concerts (80s) and now that I can afford seats, I cannot give up the time. Thanks God for concert DVDs[:D]

A little side note my wife noticed. On one of her Christian worship CDs Jon Anderson is featured singing with a group called 'According to John'. As you guys could probably attest, you cannot miss the sound of his voice when you hear it and he really adds to the beauty of the song.

Dave Nelms

Dave Nelms
05-30-2004, 03:39 PM
Just a quick update for upcaoming Yes titles. I finally checked the 'YesWorld' wed site and they are putting out an Accoustic Yes DVD in Europe and it will eventually hit the US. Recorded in 5.1 DD.[:D]

There is also mention of a PBS performance recorded in March for a posible DVD[:D]

And to get off Yes for a moment, I just picked up a copy of the Blue Man Group's Complex Rock Tour DVD. Loved it on DirecTV, cannnot wait to watch it at home.[;)]

Dave Nelms

Dave Nelms
09-15-2004, 01:45 AM
Been gone for a while due to a preamp failure. If you had a chance to read my other postings I am up and running with a new system.

I am looking at picking up a few new DVD-A discs and was hoping some of you have had a chance to listen to them.

Looking, or thinking about;
1. Frampton Comes Alive, Peter Frampton
2. Tommy, the Who
3. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Elton

Has anyone had a chance to get these discs up and running? And if so are they any good?

By the way, I did pick up Dr. Chesky's Surround Spectacular the other day but have not had a chance to listen. As soon as I do I will let you all know.

Dave Nelms

Ben_Wood
09-15-2004, 02:20 AM
Dave, I've also been considering very strongly getting "Goodbye". It's one of the few recordings I know of that is available in both Hi-Rez formats. "Harmony" should sound really spectacular! And good to have you back.

GrahamMc
09-15-2004, 07:22 AM
I have Goodbye Yellow Brick Road on SACD and quite enjoy it. It's definitely worth picking up if you enjoy the album. I'd like to compare the DVD-A and SACD. Please post a review of Dr. Chesky's. I've been considering picking it up. Also, if you do get Frampton, I'd love to hear what you think of it.

I've just picked up The Allman Brothers - Eat A Peach and Fillmore East on SACD. I think I like the mix of EAP a bit more. I was a bit disappointed with the Fillmore album since it only includes the original LP tracks and not the extra tracks that were on the CD release a few years back. I found that pretty surprising since the SACD is a 2 disc set. Overall, though I enjoy both albums. I highly recommend checking out Little Martha on EAP. Great guitar duet!!

Dave Nelms
09-15-2004, 11:14 AM
There are a few titles I would really like to get but I only have a DVD-A player, not a combo player.

Perhaps next year I will look into upgrading to a DVD/SACD player. My new reciever only has one set of multi channel inputs so I will have to get a combo player.

I would also like to pick up some of the newer SACD titles (Pink Floyd, Nora Jones, and others). Perhaps I should look into getting a good SACD player and just use it for two channel/high res music.

Dave Nelms

Dave Nelms
09-15-2004, 11:25 AM
I forgot to mention the Dr. Chesky DVD-A.

I would not get this for any other reason than to show off your surround system. The music is extremely well recorded and sounds very natural. There are some excellent bass drum tracks and other drum kits that made my VTF-3R subwoofer come to life!

The surround is agressive at times, yet at others, it just seems to give you the appearance that you are absorbing into the music.

There are a few effects added into the mix to liven things up. There are some very deep heartbeats at the end that are there to test the extention of your system.

This is the disc I was using to evaluate how well my new Ascend speakers mated to my PSB mains. The surround pans were smooth and flawless. Finally I have a system when someone goes for a walk around the room, they sound as if they are <u></u>really<u></u>going for a walk around the room.

In my opinion, if you have an extra $15 bucks laying around and you want a very good surround demo disc, this may be the one.

If you have a friend who has not had fun with surround music, take an hour of their time and play this disc for them. If they do not alraedy have at least a 5.1 system, they will be on their way to get one.

Dave Nelms

Dave Nelms
10-09-2004, 01:28 PM
Just a qwik update on the Dr Chesky DVDA,

I loaned the disc to friend of mine who is the sales manager at an Acura dealership. He has a new TL which has a DVDA surround sound system from the factory.

When I asked him if he was enjoying the disc he related that it seemed to have a lot of African style tracks and that was not his listening style. However it has been 3 weeks and he still has not returned the disc. I think something funny is going on here.

Also, just picked up the tribute to Ray Charles on DVDA, the Blue Man Group's latest 'the Complex'DTS and the Who's Tommy on DVDA.

One of these days I am going to have to just sit down and listen to all of these entire albums instead of just playing selected tracks once I get them home.

Dave Nelms

mattepntr
10-09-2004, 03:35 PM
I picked up "Tommy" on SACD. It's terrific, remixed for
5.1 by Pete Townsend. Do people have a preference for SACD
vs. DVD-A and vice-versa? Does a title (such as "Tommy") released
in both formats sound different?

Dave Nelms
10-11-2004, 02:22 AM
That is the question for the times.

Unfotunately I only have a DVDA player so I cannot compare the two. It does appear that there are more SACD titles out there though.

Dave Nelms