PDA

View Full Version : Sand & Spikes - TP-24 stands

chas
11-28-2007, 09:00 AM
For those of you with the TP-24 stands....have you filled them and/or used the spikes?

If so...was it worth it?

curtis
11-30-2007, 09:38 PM
For those of you with the TP-24 stands....have you filled them and/or used the spikes?

If so...was it worth it?
Sand is pretty inexpensive, and the greatest benefit is the added stability. If you don't plan on moving the speakers much, I recommend it.

Some people claim audible differences when using spikes. I think it is depending on the type of flooring you have. Again, doesn't hurt to try.

drewface
12-02-2007, 05:31 PM
i agree with curtis' stability statement. once you get a bag in one of those stands, they are HEAVY. i didn't notice much audible difference after putting the sand in, and what little i did hear may have just been me forcing myself to hear a change. i am very pleased with the added stability of the stands, however.

i use the spikes since the speakers are on carpeted floor, and they add even more stability to the stands. on a hard floor, i would probably get some sort of mat or thin cloth to put under the stands, and pass on the spikes.

Ecks
12-03-2007, 05:18 PM
Saw an internet dealer advertize metal flakes for speaker stand filler instaed of sand. Any reason to avoid the metal flakes for this purpose?

chas
12-03-2007, 05:26 PM
Any reason to avoid the metal flakes for this purpose?

Price?

curtis
12-03-2007, 06:08 PM
Saw an internet dealer advertize metal flakes for speaker stand filler instaed of sand. Any reason to avoid the metal flakes for this purpose?
What would be the advatages of metal flakes?

Ecks
12-03-2007, 06:35 PM
I/we can never deal with sand again. So when I stumbled across the advertisement for "'Unleaded' Ballast for Racks and Stands" in an audio ID dealer (with good product lines in their offerings) I was interested. It made me wonder if it was an acceptable alternative. If there is no negative sound quality then maybe I should try it on the next set of speaker stands.

Ecks
12-04-2007, 09:11 AM
Yikes! Just saw that my my 24's are blistering on the sides. Have to guess that the sand I thought I had ensured was dry was not dry "enough." Ensuring does not insure. So. My query is more than just an intellectual diversion. I will need new stands and now wish to avoid the sand issue. If the metal flakes are not audio-wise a good move, my next speaker stands will be filled with unused cat litter. Any thoughts?

curtis
12-04-2007, 10:08 AM
I see no reason why the metal flakes would be bad.

I have gotten dry sand from Home Depot twice...two different sets of stands, and have had no issues.

Cat litter will do the trick too.....I have actually thought about topping off my stands with it.