PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help with receiver upgrade

azanon
02-09-2004, 01:11 AM
If it were me, I wouldnt add another HDTV link just for the convinence of using the receiver remote. You risk losing picture quality. I connect my HDTV with a DVI cable coming directly from the STB.

Receiverwise, i'd go for one of the base model Denon or Onkyo that supports at least 5.1, especially if you intend to use a powered sub to handle the lows. My thinking on that is they're budget speakers, so dont go crazy on the receiver. But I havent actually a/b'ed lower vs higher end receivers, so take that with a grain of salt.

curtis
02-09-2004, 01:45 AM
I am an HK fan myself. I recently heard a NAD integrated amp with my Ascends, that sounded great, and I know there are many happy NAD owners, so I would put NAD receivers on the list too.

-curtis

trekkerj
02-09-2004, 02:17 AM
I like the specs on the HK 525, but that must be an older unit? It's not at CC, only the AVRX30 models. I only have 2 component inputs on my TV, and 3 component devices (Cable, DVD, and HD STB). None of them use DVI, and my set is calibrated for the components. The cable box is currently connected directly to the TV, while the DVD and STB are switched through a cheap JVC component switch. Don't notice a problem with PQ. I figured the 525 has a 50Mhz bandwith which should be sufficient. Same for the Onkyo TX-SR601. I figured I could switch them all through the receiver.

Am I correct in assuming that upgrading to models in this price range will make a big difference sound-wise?

curtis
02-09-2004, 03:03 AM
I have the HK 525 and have been very happy with it. Right now I use it as a pre/pro and use an external power amplifier. I will be moving to a real pre/pro in the next few months.

The first time I heard Ascends was at Hsu Research on a receiver just like yours, the Pioneer D509S. In fact, that is the same receiver Hsu Research uses now for demos on their Ventriloquist System. Back then it sounded it good to me.

Maybe there is a specific issue with your receiver. Is there any one you know that would be willing to lend you another receiver for testing?

-curtis

trekkerj
02-09-2004, 03:11 AM
Every time I ask about the difference from going from a $250 receiver to a $500 one like I am thinking, I get such mixed results. I'm not saying it sounds terrible, but people have told me upgrading the receiver will make a huge difference. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who can lend me a receiver, so the only way to know is to go through the hassle of trying one, which is why Circuit City seems the best. 6th ave has a 15% restocking fee, but they have the Denon 2803 that I also was looking at. Don't know what to do....The main advantage to the status quo is that I like my remote with the Pioneer. Control everything and I'm used to it. But if a quality receiver would noticeably improve sound quality, then I'd do it. Unforunately, I get different answers each time I ask the question.

curtis
02-09-2004, 03:22 AM
I will tell you what I have found with two seperate receivers and then with the power amp.

When I first got my CBM-170's, I was using a Marantz SR4300. The system sounded fine. I then got the HK 525, the system then sounded noticeably livlier....more of everything came out of the speakers. Then I added the ATI AT1505 amp which is 150wpc x 5, the difference was a bit tighter and authoritive bass, maybe cleaner overall too, but I would really need to A/B to be sure.

The difference from going to from the Marantz to the HK was more noticeable than adding the ATI power amp.

From reading your posts about receiver, this is what I feel, either something is not hooked up right, the quality of sound from the cable box is poor, or there is a problem with the receiver. Since DVDs and CDs sound fine, I think the receiver is OK.

-curtis

trekkerj
02-09-2004, 03:27 AM
Everything is hooked up fine, and there's no problem with the cable box. I'm sure of this.

The concern I have is, for the price I spent on the speakers, am I doing them a disservice by using my current receiver? DVDs sound OK, but TV and CD's sound pretty dead, especially in the surrounds.

curtis
02-09-2004, 05:41 AM
Well, remember, CD's are two channel material, so playing them in a multichannel set-up, the surrounds are always going to be processed and "interpreted". The same goes for TV unless it is specifically 5.1 or Dolby Surround.

I love my MX500 too!

-curtis

Derek
02-09-2004, 05:41 AM
I really like my 3803. 6th ave had a deal about a month ago where you could pick one up for about $700. It may still be going on. There is a huge thread on avs with the details.

As far as the remote goes, regardless of what receiver you buy the remote will suck. Do yourself a big favor and pickup a good universal remote. I use the mx-500 and love it. It makes life soooo much easier. Well worth the extra $110.

Derek

trekkerj
02-09-2004, 05:58 AM
Curtis, where did you get your HK525, and how much did you spend.
The newer models don't look nearly as eye-pleasing as the 525, and onecall.com has a nice deal (although they are out of stock at the moment). I might try the Onkyo or a similar HK (330?) at CC in case I want to return it.

curtis
02-09-2004, 06:15 AM
I bought mine used locally last May for $600.

-curtis

ClutchBrake
02-09-2004, 06:54 AM
I have a Denon 3803 that I picked up brand new from 6Ave.com for $648 shipped. I love it. Tons of features, great on-screen menus, SUPERB component video switching and upconverting.

trekkerj
02-09-2004, 08:02 AM
6ave.com lists the 3803 for $999. How did you get it for $648?

Derek
02-09-2004, 08:25 AM
trekkerj,

actually, I think the list is more like $1200.

call them up and tell them you want a 3802. they will tell you that they don't have any 3802's, but will sell you a 3803 for the same price ($648 or $698).

Derek

Derek
02-09-2004, 09:00 AM
also, the new digital panasonic receivers are getting a lot of good reviews lately.

azanon
02-09-2004, 12:46 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">also, the new digital panasonic receivers are getting a lot of good reviews lately.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yup. Consumer reports ranked their $250 model (SA-HE100) over the HK AVR 325 ($760).

JohnnyCasaba
02-09-2004, 03:48 PM
Azanon,

That Panny is not one of the digital receivers. The ones Derek is talking about are the XR25 and XR45.

Derek
02-10-2004, 12:41 AM
Johnny is correct. Sorry I didn't state the model number in the post. Panny is also coming out with a new model (xr70 I think) soon. Both of these receivers are currently being touted as the best bang for the buck receivers out there. I have never heard either of them so I can't comment on them. Just passing along what I have read lately...

Also, it looks like 6ave.com got into some trouble with denon and the $648 pricing and are no longer authorized etailers. They can still be had for $699, but you run the risk of no warranty support. Just a heads up...

Derek

trekkerj
02-10-2004, 02:44 AM
How about the HK AVR7200 from onecall.com for $788? Worth it? It says it retails for $1799.

curtis
02-10-2004, 03:09 AM
that is one NICE receiver! And that is a good buy. The prices are coming down on that model because the new 7300 is rumored to be coming out soon.

-curtis

trekkerj
02-10-2004, 03:13 AM
The only disadvantage with that receiver is that I can't return it to them unless it's defective. I doubt i wouldn't be satisfied with it--it has so many bells and whistles. I'm due my bonus at work soon. If I get a nice bonus, I might go for that deal in the next week or so.

trekkerj
02-10-2004, 08:23 AM
One thing that is really bugging me, both TV and certain DVDs (strangely only DVDs of TV series in Dolby 2.0), I still get clipping in certain parts. At least, I think it's clipping. Just a annoying speaker vibration that I really notice. I don't think it's the receiver though, because I put the dvd in my computer and heard the same thing through my computer speakers. The Ascends just make it even more noticeable. I just don't understand how the volume levels could be so off at the time of the audio mastering that they didn't notice it. I don't think this is something a new receiver will fix.

davef
02-10-2004, 09:28 AM
Hi Trekkerj,

I agree... I do not think this is something a new receiver will fix, simply because, there is nothing wrong. The distortion you are hearing is at the source and any receiver, or for that matter, any speaker, that is "masking" this distortion is not doing its job properly :)

Again, Broadcast television audio is as poor as it gets, unfortunately. I honestly do not think there is anything you can do regarding this matter.

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
www.ascendacoustics.com