PDA

View Full Version : Internet Budget Speaker Reviews!

curtis
08-13-2003, 08:27 AM
spiffnme(Craig) gave me permission to post his review of the three speakers he heard at my place:

Subject: Axiom M22
vs Rocket RS150
vs Ascend CBM-170

Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 16:55:42 -0700

As promised...this was written just after the listening session which took place 6/4/03. Any new thoughts I've added are in red text.

I was able to listen to all three of these bookshelf speakers last night. I was surprised at what I heard/saw.

1) LOOKS
The M22ti is solidly constructed, with an extremely well laid vinyl. But it IS vinyl. From a distance it can pull it off, but up close, you know it's vinyl.
<font color="red">The vinyl bothers me much less now than it did when I first bought my Axioms. They're pretty nice looking speakers. I've owned a pair of Snell Acoustic Type K/II's for over a decade. I guess I've been spoiled by their real wood finish. </font id="red">

The Rocket RS150 is a good looking speaker. Deep rosewood veneer with a polished black top and bottom cap. Very solid build.
The Ascend CBM-170 is a square black box. Exposed seals, rough textured surface. Plain ugly. There's no getting around it. This is one ugly speaker.
<font color="red">I still stand by this. Their new 340 speakers are MUCH better looking. No more exposed seals, etc... </font id="red">
2) PRICE
Axiom M22ti $400/pair
Rocket RS150 $400/pair
Ascend CBM-170 $328/pair

3)SOUND
I listened to a CD that I've demo'd dozens of speakers with, and listen to quite often myself on my own system. I KNOW that this cd sounds like. That said, here were MY impressions. DON'T FLAME ME!!!!

LOW END
The winner here would have to be the Rocket RS150. Much deeper bass than either the Axioms or the Ascends. Perhaps not quite as tight, but still a good sounding low end. Next in line would go to the Ascends. A bit tighter, but not as low as the Rockets. Finally the Axiom M22ti. Again, nice tight bass - for what it has. None of the three sounded too boomy which is great.

MID TONES
First place I'd have to say was a tie between the Axiom M22 and the Ascend CBM-170. Nice and clear. Voices were articulate and natural sounding. The Axiom's and the Ascends sounded very, very similar to each other here. The Rockets were COMPLETELY different. One track in particular "Polaroid Millennium" by Superior (a gentle female voice accompanied by guitar) sounded...well the only way I could describe it is as "hollow". There was an almost echoy sound to her voice which in all the speakers I've ever listened to this track with, I've never heard before. The voice also sank back - waaay back. She almost sounded like she was singing in another room - with the door closed. Personally I didn't like this sound effect. Perhaps some do.

HIGHS
Again the Axiom M22 and the Ascend are quite close here, but 1st place in the high end has to go to the Axiom M22ti. Again, with the Superior track, on the M22's the female voice has an extra little breath to it. In the guitar you can hear the individual strings being plucked a bit more clearly. It's only a bit more articulate than the Ascends, but those small details are missing in the CBM-170's. 2nd place goes to the Ascend CBM-170's. Again they sound quite similar to the M22, but the finest details of the upper notes are smoothed off a bit. Taking up the rear is again the Rocket RS150. There is little high end to speak of. To be honest I was wondering if we were listening to a faulty pair of speakers. (I was assured that we were not).

4)FINAL NOTES/RECOMMENDATIONS

For me I liked the Axiom M22ti the best - by a hair. It's slightly more detailed highs and better looks push it ahead of the Ascend CBM-170. The Ascend's are right behind though, and if you like the slightly smoother sound in your highs, you'll like the CBM-170 more - IF you can get over their looks. At $328/pair these Ascends are a BARGAIN. Finally the Rocket RS150. I don't know what to say about these speakers. The Rockets have a loyal following, so obviously people like that sound, but it's FAR from neutral. You're either going to like it or hate it. The RS150 is a great looking speaker, and if you like their VERY, VERY laid back sound, you'll be thrilled with them.

Finally - THIS WAS NOT A SCIENTIFIC LISTENING SESSION! It was not blind, it was not in a sound chamber, etc... It was simply my impressions of these three speakers in the comfort of a living room. So I beg you, don't bring the lack of science up, we've all been there before.

Craig

curtis
08-25-2003, 09:16 AM
BradJudy has graciously allowed me to post a link to his Ascend review.

You can find it at http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~judy/Ascend_review/

-curtis