PDA

View Full Version : Tennis anyone?

frank
02-08-2004, 11:39 PM
to serve a tennis ball at 150MPH should be aganist the law how in the hell can a person return that ball

azanon
02-09-2004, 12:48 AM
I currently (actively) play 3.5 tournament USTA tennis as well as league tennis. Great workout plus lots of fun.

curtis
02-09-2004, 01:42 AM
USTA league tennis is a lot of fun. I played one season about 10 years ago.

-curtis

X52
02-09-2004, 07:14 AM
I tend to believe that its bad for the sport. Really, 150 mph... how can you return a ball that fast?!? I tend to believe the fun of the sport isn't aces but great rallys.

JH

curtis
02-09-2004, 07:51 AM
Well, I do know that 120mph ball is returnable. Pick the ball up quickly, hope that it is within a step, and does not have a lot of side to side movement. Don't even attempt to take a swing at the ball, more of a quick blocking motion. Don't ask me about 150mph.

-curtis

azanon
02-09-2004, 12:49 PM
Heck, i block some serves at the 3.5 level, if the server is really good. I return serve nicely for my level though, and I sometimes see a little shock on their faces when their beloved 1st serve comes back to them at their feet :-). But people are really bad about "playing down" in AR - its more like 4.0.

davef
02-09-2004, 01:41 PM
Sorry guys...

Try returning a serve in racquetball that is travelling at 180+ mph. To make things even more difficult, the distance travelled by the ball is very short as well.

I have been clocked at high 130s to low 140s hitting a racquetball but many of the guys I play with have been clocked high 160s.

Perhaps Tennis should initiate the pro-serve rule like they did in racquetball to counter effect the dramatic ball speed... ONLY ONE SERVE at the Open/Pro level? Sure would make it interesting?

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
www.ascendacoustics.com

curtis
02-09-2004, 01:53 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by davef

ONLY ONE SERVE at the Open/Pro level? Sure would make it interesting?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I think that has been talked about before.

I have seen some of the welts people have gotten in a raquetball court, and they look pretty nasty. I have never seen a welt from a tennis ball....it is a gentlemens sport...LOL!!

-curtis