PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for a future product David

azanon
10-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Well David, my dad is completely redoing his home theater, so he's expanding his "den", bought a 50"+ inch plasma and needed a new receiver and speakers. He's been over a few times and I've had the opportunity to demo my speakers for him. Needless to say he was blown away. The first time he commented, "wow those sound better than anything I heard at Best Buy".

So, naturally I was suggesting just get an Ascend setup similar to mine. In the end, I think he had to reluctantly decline because he just didn't think he could live with even an HTM-200 protruding from the wall because he has considerably more WAF scrutiny than I do. And if you want to know the truth, to this day my wife isn't exactly jumping up and down about my HTM-200s on Omnimount 20s in the back. I get the occasional scowl, and you should have seen the scowl I got tonight when I said I might buy that new HTM-200 for my center and put the old one in my back middle for a 6.1 setup!

Anyway, I said "well ok dad, how do you like these?" (showing him a rocket setup with the RSS300 Dipoles). He perked up and seemed to feel mom wouldn't object to those because they don't protrude as much and "look" home-theater-ish (to say nothing of the fact that, that's what they're designed for). Seeming pressed for time, he handed me his CC, and told me to order a complete rocket package for him (the 250 L/R, Bigfoot, and those dipoles).

So, here's my thinking. I get the impression "sound" is the alpha and omega to you so you don't seem to want to do anything to compromise that (like make a dipole that looks like a RSS300). But the home theater market is huge and if all you have to do is make a more presentable rear speaker, that might be worth the compromise. You could have some PR language that suggests that's what its for and not necessarily recommeded for music. Most people can make the larger front speakers work, so that's all you'd need to add to your collection to have a very HT friendly package. Or if not dipoles, just some speaker with a more slim footprint, focusing more on HT/looks at the expense of optimum sound. Besides, rear channels don't do much do they (exception in multi-channel music)?

Anyway, I'd like to see Ascend continue to expand and I hate to see (some) potential HT customers feeling alienated.

Azanon

muzz
11-09-2007, 07:40 PM
Good points all around...

Problem wih your question is...

Dave cares more about the sound than anything else, and from all I've read, he doesn't care for "Indirect" sound (which make sense to me).
It's not accurate to the recording, causes delay and phase problems, and that AFAIK, he doesn't want any part of..

Gimmicks are not Daves favorite items, he strives for accuracy, if the recording comes from the left, it should come from the left...
ON TIME!!....
Not bounce of the front wall or side wall, when the soundman said it should come from the rear.

Maybe I've over stepped my bounds, and am wrong......... but I don't think so.

JMO

azanon
11-14-2007, 07:28 AM
Problem wih your question is...

I have no issues (problems) with my question. I believe you are referring to what you believe would be Dave's answer to my suggestion.

Gimmicks are not Daves favorite items

I wonder if MLS would characterize his RSS300s as gimmicks?

Maybe I've over stepped my bounds, and am wrong......... but I don't think so.

I've heard it said before that one's first impression is usually the most accurate.

blindtom
02-13-2008, 10:17 AM
I also believe a wall mounted speaker would be desirable. I have an old pair of Allison 4s that were designed to be placed against the wall. Could the port of a speaker be put on the top of a cabinet to give a similar effect? (mounting on the wall and the port directed up the wall for bass?

Mag_Neato
02-13-2008, 10:36 AM
Axiom's Architectural series speakers use that very design. The speakers are called on-wall/in-wall, meaning they require a cutout in the wall where a rear enclosure fits into, with the front of the speaker having a baffle that rests on the wall. There's a bottom-firing port on the baffle.

blindtom
02-13-2008, 01:52 PM
Axiom's Architectural series speakers use that very design. The speakers are called on-wall/in-wall, meaning they require a cutout in the wall where a rear enclosure fits into, with the front of the speaker having a baffle that rests on the wall. There's a bottom-firing port on the baffle.

Thank you. They may be just what I was looking for.

muzz
07-17-2010, 04:55 PM
I have no issues (problems) with my question. I believe you are referring to what you believe would be Dave's answer to my suggestion.

I wonder if MLS would characterize his RSS300s as gimmicks?

I've heard it said before that one's first impression is usually the most accurate.

I think I was pretty clear.

I don't care what he says, he's a thief, and they ARE gimmicks whether YOU agree or not.
I don't care if they cost $25K

Bah........can't believe I missed this idiocy.