PDA

View Full Version : Painting Sierra's black

millerwill
10-02-2007, 10:30 AM
I've finally gotten Sierra's for my L/C/R speakers, and like everyone, am totally pleased with them. I got 'b-stock' cabinets since I'm thinking that I may want to paint them black for my HT set up. Haven't finally decided to do so, but probably will. (I really liked the finish on the 340, etc., speakers, but I guess bamboo doesn't lend itself to this.)

I asked Dave about this and he said no problem, just sand them lightly before painting. Now my question: I want to paint them black, of course, to make them as non-reflective as possible when the lights do down. But I presume that I should use a flat enamel, rather than a flat wall paint, since the cabinet is wooden. Is this right? And if so, will flat enamel really be 'non-reflective'?

I would appreciate any words of wisdom from any of you that have gone through this process or thought about it. Thanks much. Bill

curtis
10-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Before painting them, I would look at an alternative method to reducing the reflections.

How about using some kind material wrapped about the top and side surfaces? Some kind stretchable black material. Or just drape some black felt material over them. The grille will reduce the glare from the front baffle, and you don't need to worry about the back of the speaker.

millerwill
10-02-2007, 01:21 PM
Before painting them, I would look at an alternative method to reducing the reflections.

How about using some kind material wrapped about the top and side surfaces? Some kind stretchable black material. Or just drape some black felt material over them. The grille will reduce the glare from the front baffle, and you don't need to worry about the back of the speaker.

Very good suggestion--thanks!