PDA

View Full Version : Sierra-1's in Entertainment unit

TJPJR
09-18-2007, 12:07 PM
I'm in the process of having an entertainment unit built for my Elite plasma and equipment. I realize that placing the speakers on the shelf is not going to be as good as on a stand, but space outside the unit is an issue. So, I am looking for comments/suggestions on how these bookshelf speakers (3) Sierra-1's LCR would work setup within this furniture. Each speaker would have a stable shelf dedicated to its placement. Thanks for your input.

rogerm
09-18-2007, 01:14 PM
I only had to place one Sierra on my entertainment center shelf. That being the center channel. I did notice some slight vibration and the angle wasn't good, so I got some Auralex Mopads to place it on. It solved the vibration and also allowed me to use the 4 degree slope option to angle it downward. My center sits 50 inches above the floor.

curtis
09-18-2007, 01:17 PM
I'm in the process of having an entertainment unit built for my Elite plasma and equipment. I realize that placing the speakers on the shelf is not going to be as good as on a stand, but space outside the unit is an issue. So, I am looking for comments/suggestions on how these bookshelf speakers (3) Sierra-1's LCR would work setup within this furniture. Each speaker would have a stable shelf dedicated to its placement. Thanks for your input.
Give Ascend a call and ask them about it.

Is the entertainment unit already designed?

Placing in on the shelf is not so much the big deal, but the space behind the speakers. Also, placing the speakers(any speakers) on the front edge of the shelf helps a lot because it reduces the immediate reflections.

TJPJR
09-18-2007, 05:29 PM
Actually, the Entertainment Center is being drawn up right now, so if you have any particular suggestions I'd appreciate reading them. Is there a specific distance from the wall, or in this case back of the Entertainment Center that is a minimum? I suppose the Auralex Mopads would be a good idea for all three of them. Thanks for your replies.

curtis
09-18-2007, 06:32 PM
Actually, the Entertainment Center is being drawn up right now, so if you have any particular suggestions I'd appreciate reading them. Is there a specific distance from the wall, or in this case back of the Entertainment Center that is a minimum? I suppose the Auralex Mopads would be a good idea for all three of them. Thanks for your replies.
If that is the case, call Ascend and get their recommendations. They know best.

Timbre
09-19-2007, 07:46 AM
Hello TJPJR,

For what it's worth here is a link to pics of my built-in unit.

http://heartlink.eaph.com/viewalbum.cgi?Images/AscendHT

It evolved through faxed sketches and tel/cons I had with Mr. Fabrikant, who was really so patient and helpful in optimizing my 340LCR front line-up given the constraints of having the speakers "built in".

Even though the R & L speakers are inside cubicles, Dave suggested they have a minimum of 6"-8" of space all around to help them breathe. All-in-all the sound is remarkable and I am very happy with the result.:D

Best of luck to you. Will love to hear your final outcome when all is done.;)

TJPJR
09-19-2007, 09:51 AM
Hello TJPJR,

For what it's worth here is a link to pics of my built-in unit.

http://heartlink.eaph.com/viewalbum.cgi?Images/AscendHT

It evolved through faxed sketches and tel/cons I had with Mr. Fabrikant, who was really so patient and helpful in optimizing my 340LCR front line-up given the constraints of having the speakers "built in".

Even though the R & L speakers are inside cubicles, Dave suggested they have a minimum of 6"-8" of space all around to help them breathe. All-in-all the sound is remarkable and I am very happy with the result.:D

Best of luck to you. Will love to hear your final outcome when all is done.;)

Thanks again to you all for your feedback. I will contact Ascend to get their input. <><

TJPJR
09-24-2007, 01:29 PM
I've exchanged some emails with Dave Fabrikant and I think I'm going to go ahead with the Sierra-1s for the Fronts and Center, but was thinking about using Mirage Omnisat v2's for the two rear surrounds. Do any of you have any opinions on this setup? And any recommendations on a subwoofer for say $1k or less?
Thanks
Tom

Droht
10-03-2007, 04:50 PM
TJPJR, one idea I read about on avsforum was to install "sliders" on shelves like you'd see in kitchen cabinets or pantries. They'd allow you to pull the shelf out and essential get your speakers out away from all boundary issues. Thought it was a pretty cool idea, if not completely convenient.

Blake1214
10-09-2007, 01:52 PM
TJPJR,

They'll usually recommend speakers within the same line from the same manufacturer for timbre match reasons. At the very least, to stay within the same company to get it as close as possible. Why not go with the 170's or HTM 200? I had a chance to hear the Sierras paired with the 170's (7.1) at Curtis' house and it sounded phenomenal. As far as subs go, I have an SVS PC plus (watertank) paired with Sierras. They do an awesome job for HT. I believe there are better ones out there for music although I usually listen to music in 2 channel without the sub. Nonetheless, you can check out http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-plus1.cfm
They're having a crazy sale right now. Only wished it was going on when I bought my sub 2 months ago. Would've went with the box version instead. =)