PDA

View Full Version : help with my new room

ebh
09-02-2007, 11:04 PM
I moved into a new place recently, and need some assistance with my setup. the previous tenants ran speaker wire under the floor for their rear surrounds. i want to use the existing cable, but there setup must have been different from mine, because the cables aren't long enough to reach the distance and height I intend to mount my side surrounds.

My question is, is it possible to crimp some more cable onto the end of this one to extend it to where I need it to be? How advisable/inadvisable is this in terms of potential sound quality issues?

Attached is a pic of one of the cable I was left with--it has four strands, which I am not sure what to do with. Do I only use two, or do I crimp these together into pairs, which is what the previous tenant seems to have done? They also had some 16 gauge monster cable I could use (for the rear surrounds if I was doing 7.1), but it was also not long enough.

Of course I could run new cables, but I don't feel like buying a long run of new cable or crawling under the place right now. But if I can't get this to be satisfactory, I may just have to do that.

http://ericandrachel.net/graphics/room.jpg
Here's the room. The speakers will probably be wall mounted around where the shutter is open on the right side (between it and the fire place), and opposite that. This place is super echo-y. I hope once I get a rug and couch in there it will sound better.

http://ericandrachel.net/graphics/wire.jpg
This is one of the wires the previous tenants left. Do i crimp two together like the red and white are, and pretend they are like one cable? Or just use two of the cables and ignore the other two. This is what I'd want to crimp some kind of "extension" cable onto.

Thanks for any help. Also, anyone have recommendations for wall-mounting the HTM-200s in clean and unobtrusive manner?

curtis
09-03-2007, 08:54 AM
ebh....I didn't know you were local.

How many of those grouped cables do you have? Is there one for each speaker location? If so, then you have the right idea, twist the ends of two together to create "one" cable for positive, do the same for the other two for negative.

ebh
09-03-2007, 10:18 AM
Yep, just moved down to Culver City a few days ago from San Francisco. Still lots of moving in to do over the next few weeks. But if there are ever any LA-area Ascend get-togethers, I am there. I'm itching to hear the Sierras.

Thanks for the help with the existing cables. I have a set on each side, so that should work out fine. The only problem now is that they are too short.

Do you have any feel for whether I can "extend" these cables in any way by crimping some other wire on to the end? As it is, I'm about 6 feet or so short for where I plan to put my surrounds, though placement of everything is still in flux.

Maybe I can just have the surrounds a bit further back from the couch than I thought i would, and perhaps angle them in towards the couch a bit. It won't be ideal placement but it would be easier.

curtis
09-03-2007, 12:13 PM
Some of us are planning to get together in a couple of weeks to hear a handfull of bookshelf speakers....my Sierras being one of them. You are more than welcome to join. I am no more than 20 minutes from you.

Sure, you should be able to extend the cable by twisting wire to the end. Even better if you could solder them together.

Welcome to SoCal.

ebh
09-03-2007, 10:27 PM
previous tenants left a soldering iron in the garage, so that should be no problem. thanks for your help.

just send me a PM around when the event is happening. if i'm not out of town, i'd love to come. i have 170SEs, 340SEs and HTM-200s that could be listened to if anyone wanted.

Blake1214
09-05-2007, 09:46 AM
Welcome to So. Cal Ebh!! I'm in downtown with the Sierras. Not fully done with the setup but a get-together sounds like a great idea. Count me in!!

curtis
09-05-2007, 09:53 AM
Right now we are looking at Sept. 15th or 16th, my place in Manhattan Beach. We will have my Sierras and a pair of Outlaws, and hope to have KEF's Reference bookshelf, Usher's new bookshelf with the Be tweeter, and Era Design D5's.

AND Jason's stands! They are due to arrive on the 10th.

ebh and Blake, if the two of you can make it, that would currently make five of us total if we do this on the Sunday.

We can listen to the speakers, and then get some good cheap eats/drink.

Blake1214
09-05-2007, 10:10 AM
Hi Curtis,

Thx for the invite. I will be sure to mark my calendar. What is the headcount for Saturday the 15th? Just thought it will be less of a rush without worrying about work the next morning. If Sunday is the planned date, I will be there. I Can't wait to hear how a properly calibrated Sierras should sound like!!!

Blake

curtis
09-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Well...one of the guys works on Sundays, and he was going to try and bring his JL Audio F112 sub. I will double check to see if he can make Saturday.

I just have Sierras for the front three...not hard to calibrate at all....especially for 2-channel and no sub. :)

BTW...anybody that wants to join us is welcome...my place is not big though.

ebh
09-05-2007, 11:42 AM
Great, I think either of those days would work for me. Just gotta check with the wife. Thanks Curtis!

BGHD
09-12-2007, 05:42 PM
Sure, you should be able to extend the cable by twisting wire to the end. Even better if you could solder them together.

You could probably also use twist caps (as is used in other electrical connections) to join the cables together too. If joining them in-wall, would a junction box be advised in case of shorts or other problems? I imagine it's low voltage, so should be ok without one, right?

Blake1214
09-13-2007, 04:46 PM
Hi Curtis,

Just curious if we're still on for the GTG for this Sunday? If so, please advise what time you're planning to start and address. You can reach me at
blake1214@yahoo.com. Thx again for putting it together and I'm looking forward to this event.

curtis
09-13-2007, 05:34 PM
Hi Curtis,

Just curious if we're still on for the GTG for this Sunday? If so, please advise what time you're planning to start and address. You can reach me at
blake1214@yahoo.com. Thx again for putting it together and I'm looking forward to this event.
Yeah...we are a go. I will send you an email this evening.