PDA

View Full Version : Reciever Preference? Tips to buying

CitMark
08-27-2007, 10:02 AM
I'm putting together a home theater system and have been checking out all the tips and advice everyone has shared...some good stuff!

I've been leaning towards the HK 645 as the receiver to get. However, it appears the more you know the harder things get in making a decision. Do any of the resident experts have any tips on buying a receiver and what to look for?

Thanks

bikeman
08-27-2007, 10:28 AM
Every major brand has it's proponents and detractors. Find a receiver from an authorized dealer with the features you want at a price you can handle and you're done shopping.

David

CitMark
08-27-2007, 12:44 PM
I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with the HK...I just keep hearing about some folks having some QC issues...but then they don't really explain the problems

In your opinion, any of the recievers just 'better' with Ascend's speakers?

Blake1214
08-27-2007, 02:53 PM
I will agree that HK does have some quality control issues. You can even read their reviews on this receiver on Amazon.com. I did end up purchasing the AVR645 anyhow just to see how I'd like it as if you look on Ascend's website, they'll say many of the owners loved the way they paired up. I will also agree with these owners and truly love the sound when listening to music.

My unit did come defective. The front panel would not lock. After contacting HK, they suggested for me to get an replacement unit from the seller as the unit will need to be taken apart to correct the issue. I did contact HK for some other issues regarding HDMI compatability with my PS3. Their customer service is first rate. I did however end up decide to return the unit and go into the world of seperates (Emotiva). I will let you know how big of a difference they are compared to the AVR645.

CitMark
08-28-2007, 09:40 AM
Please do...The Emotiva sounds like a great reciever...I wonder if you'll be able to tell a big difference

Blake1214
09-04-2007, 11:50 AM
I've had my Emotivas for about a week now. Compared to the HK AVR 645, the sound is a little more dry. Both the HK and Emotivas have more than enough power to drive the Sierras. I find the Emotiva combo to give better mid-bass than the HK. I also find myself enjoying the Emos more with movies. Although I'm starting to get used to the sound of the Emos, I'm still on the fence when it comes to music reproduction when compared to the HK. I had some friends over during the long weekend. (NOT audiophiles). Almost all of them preferred the sound of the HK. It just sounds a little "sweeter" when compared to the Emos. If it's accuracy you're after however, I think you'll enjoy the Emos more. This is not to say the HK aren't accurate. But may be a little more colored than the Emos. I think both pairs well with the Sierras. Nonetheless, the Emos are here to stay.

CitMark
09-05-2007, 07:58 AM
Nice...I'm sure you're lovin the Emos...little jealous over here! Its good to hear both are able to give the Sierra's more than enough power...a few posts have touched on trying to give the Sierra's more power (might be more of a setup issue than anything).

tank418
09-17-2007, 07:19 AM
who is emotivas I have never hear of them ?

chas
09-17-2007, 09:36 AM
http://www.emotiva.com/

merrymaid520
02-01-2008, 10:06 AM
Blake,

Just reading through and curious about the emotivas. Sounds like you have somewhat mixed reviews on the sq of them versus a receiver. I was just checking out the emotiva site this week and seen some great deals going on now and the word is they are introducing some new HDMI 1.3 stuff very soon. Someday I would like to move to "affordable" seperates such as the integra, outlaw, or emotiva processors and amps. The other store brands are way too expensive for the minute sound improvement if any at all. My setup consists of L/C/R sierras with 170's for surrounds. Processing for the combo is a yamaha rx-v2600 with a B&K ref 200.3 amp from the pre-outs powering the main sierras. So the yamaha actually only powers the 2 rear 170's. Other equipment:
Toshiba XA1 HDDVD
Toshiba 4800? DVD-Audio player
SVS PCU sub

With my current setup, do you all think I would gain much using one of the above mentioned companies SSP versus my yamaha?

I have always been curious how much of an improvment one gains going all separates? I guess I am half way there with the B&K:)

Thanks,

Brandon

Blake1214
02-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Brandon,

As much as I hate to give wishy washy reviews, it's almost impossible for me to provide any comment on whether they'll be more suitable for you than your Yammies. I personally find Yammies to be a bit on the bright side and very "concert like." Again, that may very well not be your experience with them. Why not give the Emos a try in your own home and if you don't like them, you're only out of shipping cost? Atleast that way, you won't be bugged with the "what if" syndrome. (one of the main reasons I went for it myself)

I'm looking on the Emotiva site and it seems like they're out of stock on almost everything. Not sure if this means they're waiting for the second generations to come out or there will still be 1st generations. We were told anyone that bought into the first generations will get a 40% discount on future upgrades. I will be upgrading to the DMC-2 when it's available. So it really made sense for me just from the savings perspective.

Was I blown away at an enormous difference when replacing the HK with the Emos? Probably not. The HK AVR-645 are very good receivers in their own right. Do I think the Emos are worth the price? Absolutely. I have yet heard any negative comments in sound when having people over. Though it is quite frustrating that my LMC-1 gets stuck in AC-3 mode when watching DVD's (along with other bugs in which you can read about on forums), I'm not sure if you can do much better performance/value wise.

Blake