PDA

View Full Version : CBM in Entertainment center

Derek
02-02-2004, 11:27 AM
Brian,

I'm sorry that I can't help you answer your question, but I must say that is a very nice looking entertainment center your have.

Derek

tomes
02-02-2004, 01:06 PM
Well, I can tell you in a few days. I will do the same thing (different entertainment center though). I was told as long as you make sure the front of the speakers sit flush with the front of the EC, you should be okay. (i.e. don't put it in the back of the EC)

I guess you are getting rid of your other speakers then?

Well the upgraditis will probably hit you on the image side next time... That tv looks a bit puny in the EC ;-) Sorry, that was just plain mean! :-D

Gregisme
02-02-2004, 03:03 PM
Lol! puny indeed. I was thinking exactly the same.

but then, what am I talking about.. I'm still waiting for my ancient 20" TV to die and/or plasma prices to come down some before I upgrade!

Budman
02-02-2004, 03:24 PM
Now that I look at it, it does look rather small. It's a 27". I've been putting of getting a new TV for 2 years now while I waited for hdtv prices to fall. 46" Sammy DLP is next on the list after speakers.... and taxes.

Jeff E
02-02-2004, 08:45 PM
I listened to my CBMs in bookshelves for about a month. They were placed vertically in a shelf space a bit larger than yours but only 24" off the ground with the speaker fronts protruding slightly. They sounded fine if a little "hollow". When put them on stands there was a noticeable improvement in midrange clarity and a major improvement in imaging. I could live with them in the bookshelves but I would be hearing less than they have to offer. For the SQ on the shelves I might as well have kept my previous speakers. It's a tradeoff between visual and auditory aesthetics.

azanon
02-02-2004, 09:11 PM
Budman,

Sorry to stray off your question, but I also have to second replacing that TV, first. Those speakers you have now look quite decent.

My home entertainment got recently upgraded to a 30" HDTV and Ascends. Granted, the Ascends sound beautiful and all that, but they dont touch my new TV, with true HDTV. IMHO, HDTVs are very affordable now. Sure you can fit a RPT in that hole? I'd go with the 34" Sony Direct Tube HDTV if it were me (goes for about ~1899).

Budman
02-03-2004, 02:10 AM
The Samsung DLP sets are about 19" deep so fitting it on the base shouldn't be a problem. I've decided that the 43" is a bit too small yet, the 50" is just a bit too large. Samsung should have the 46" DLP sets readily available by March and I'll aim to have one soon after that. Some rumors over at avsforum have the third generation of Sammy DLP's being released this summer, if that's the case I'll probably wait until then.

I just recently moved into a new house so the honey-do's will keep me busy until summer. I can survive with the 27" until them. But for the Ascend Forums' peace of mind I went to work on the best photo editing software I have (MS Paint) and created a new picture for ya![:D][:D]
http://mercury.walagata.com/w/brian93383/untitled3.jpg

BTW: Are there any limitations to the room size a CBM can fill? I'll be using them in room w/ about 625 square feet and 9' ceilings. Maybe three 340's across the front would be better.

Brian

tomes
02-04-2004, 09:21 AM
LOL :-D Much better! ;-)

If it is any comfort, I just purchased ascend speakers, hsu vtf3-mk2 sub, and will pick up a yamaha rxv1400 receiver this week (hopefully), and I still want more stuff. My immediate wish list.
-Superior quality dvd player that can upconvert to 1080i over component
-player that is regionfree and can show pal discs on ntsc tv (or upconvert to hdtv rez)
-Player that can play DVD-A and SACD
(the ideal would be to find a player that does all three, but that seems close to impossible..)
-Tivo for my DirecTv would be nice as well :)
-...finally expanding my 5.1 setup to 7.1 and add buttkickers, but placement limitations eliminates this for the time being..

..and further down the road.. upgrading to a stronger amplifier,and buy a projector to compliment my rptv :)

Well.. just HAD to get it off my chest! :)

..I should mention that the wife told me no large purchases for 5 (FIVE!) more years :D I have to work on that... hehe

Budman
02-04-2004, 03:28 PM
Tomes,

take a look at http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdhacks. It's a site that lists ways to access the "secret menu" of your DVD player. In the "Secret Menu" you can disable region encoding, macrovision, etc. This should make your DVD player search a little easier as you can choose one that upconverts and plays DVD/SVCD-A, then make it region free on your own.[8D]

Brian