PDA

View Full Version : sierra

tank418
08-21-2007, 06:57 AM
ok I have been reading alot about the Sierra-1 speaker I would like to know whats the strong points on this speaker and the weak points IF ANY ! I know every kind of speaker has some PROS/CONS.

curtis
08-21-2007, 09:45 AM
I truly think the Sierra is a great all around speaker.

With the Sierra, weak points will be subjective and depends on what you like.

For instance, if you like the B&W 805S, you may think the Sierra is not forward enough for your tastes. If you like the Dynaudio Focus 140, you may think the Sierra is forward.

Compared to 170SE and 340SE, they are not quite as sensitive.....so that may be a negative to some.

Blake1214
08-22-2007, 02:22 PM
I agree that the Sierras are great speakers all around. The ONLY thing I have found are when watching movies. I have not been able to get the dialogues to be as clear as I would like them to be. I'm using the speakers with the Harman Kardan AVR 645. They are known to be "warm" sounding receivers. So it may just be the accumulation of using warm receiver AND warm speakers :confused:. I'm still working with Dave in getting the settings just right. I've also ordered the Emotiva Ultra theatre combo so that might just take care of it as well. So in all honesty, I really can't say any negative things about the Sierras. But if you want something that's very forward in sound delivery, the Sierras may not be for you. That will be more of a preference issue and would not take any credit away from the Sierras. But should you enjoy a speaker that delivers clear detail, warm sound, and wide soundstage, I don't think you can go wrong with the Sierras.

curtis
08-22-2007, 02:46 PM
I would like to know more about your dialouge issue. Also, it is interesting that you think the Sierras are warm.

BradJudy
08-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Yeah, the shootout notes about the Sierra being warm were interesting too. I've always felt Ascend speakers leaned towards dry rather than warm. I guess it's always largely a matter of reference items.

Blake1214
08-22-2007, 03:03 PM
Hi Curtis,

Basically, when watching movies, I will miss dialogues and its hard for me to pick up the whole sentence. I've been enabling subtitles to compensate but do enjoy the movie experience much more without. There are a couple of factors that may play into this as well.

1. Currently, I have not fully calibrated the speakers. Still waiting on my Avia DVD that my friend borrowed and never returned.

2. I have porcelain tiles and one side of the wall are glass. (high rise condo)

3. No sound acoustic treatments (YET!!)

But I must say, for music, I don't find any issues in missing lyrics (considering they're singing at a moderate pace). I also have found the dialogue will be more clear in movies when I set my receiver to Dolby Ref 3. The "muddy" ( i hate using this word) charateristic is at its worst when using Dolby Digital.

I guess the Sierras are warm in my view because of the other speakers I've tested. B&Ws were great speakers, but too forward for my taste. Some of the higher end polks I thought were very bright especially on the mid-high. I felt the same about the Axioms, although soundstage were MUCH better. So in that respect, I say the Sierras are warm to me. Sonically, the Sierras sound very similar to the Vienna Acoustics Baby Grand I tested. At a fraction of their cost, I decided the Sierras were for me.

Blake

Blake1214
08-22-2007, 03:10 PM
Due to my limited experience in home audio, I have not had the chance to listen the super "high end" speakers out there as many ya'll may have. So it may be that the speakers I'm using to reference with are usually brighter, causing me to feel the Sierra as warm. I've also heard a couple of MA speakers which I also thought were bright. The only speakers I've found to be even more laid back than the Sierras were the Sonus Faber. But I really weren't too impressed with them as they lacked detail IMHO.

curtis
08-22-2007, 03:28 PM
Ahh...got it. Muddy in Dolby Digital....that is very odd.

Yeah...calibration is key! Have you tried the HK's test tones to calibrate? Do you have an SPL meter? Have you tried EZSet?

Blake1214
08-22-2007, 03:46 PM
Hi Curtis,

Yup...I've ran EZsetup with the HK. I have not done much manual tweaking so far since my friend still have possesion of my AVIA and SPL meter :mad:. So far, I adjusted the center for +3db in my poor attempt to hear the dialogue better crossed over at 60Hz all around with SVS PC plus picking up below that. But the +3db causes a loss in a transparent soundstage.

I see that you're in MB. I'm in downtown so may be we can setup up a time at your convenience to show a noobie how a setup is properly calibrated. (once i receive the surround and Emotiva of course)...Just don't get too technical with me or all I'll end up looking like this :o.

curtis
08-22-2007, 04:04 PM
Sure...I was just in the downtown (actually Los Feliz) area on Sunday after spending some time in Burbank.....it was freaking hot out there!

I gave my Parents my HK525. I once was over there and notice something did not sound right....as it turned out, someone was messing with the sound processing modes.....I think either the nearfield or farfield mode was turned on.

davef
08-22-2007, 06:24 PM
Hi Blake,

Be sure not to use the Auto-EQ function. I have found that these never really work right. From what you have described, it sounds like the mids are being recessed... Just for fun, try swapping one of your left/right speakers with the center.

Also, adjusting spl (EZ-set) will not bring back the mids, but the EQ function of the HK can wreak havoc (and often does)

In the receiver configuration, go to EzSet/EQ.. choose EzSet Manual setup. Then choose EzSet EQ OFF... Page 27-29 of your manual... Be sure to report back...

Also, what surround sound mode are you using? As we have been discussing, something is definitely not quite right

Blake1214
08-23-2007, 10:25 AM
Hi Guys,

Thx for all the input and recommendations you guys have been putting in. To avoid having this single issue regarding my center channel posted on multiple threads, I will go ahead and play with the settings some more and wait on the Emotivas. I will defenitely report back once it's resolved. I would hate for people reading different threads and see the same issue posted and think there's something wrong with the Sierras and get the impression they are "unclear" speakers.

Blake1214
08-30-2007, 02:06 PM
OK guys...an update for everyone that has been trying to help me regarding the center channel not being very clear during movies. After hooking up my Emotivas yesterday, the dialogue issue is now gone. I can't say it was the HK's fault as I'm sure it's something in the settings I didn't get right. And I'm sure there're others using the same receiver without problem.

Curtis, I now know why you were puzzled regarding my comment that the Sierras were "warm." I can say now when paired with the Emos that they are NOT. To be honest, I'm not sure which one I prefer. The music sounded a little more satisfying with the HK but movie sounds better with the Emos. Not sure if it's my head playing games but there's a sweetness to music reproduction when using the HK. With the Emos, it is more dry, but yet, truthful. I can definitely tell there's more in the midbass area when using the seperates. It's kind of like being asked by Morpheus in either choosing the red or the blue pill. I know the Emos gives the truth, but the HK sounds sweeter to my ears.

Overall, I must say the UL performs better for HT and music than the HK.

muzz
08-30-2007, 03:55 PM
Not unexpected by me.....

Blake1214
08-30-2007, 04:20 PM
So I'm not crazy???

marshhayden
02-23-2011, 09:34 AM
Sierras really can not say any negative things. But if you want something more advanced audio delivery, the Sierras may not be for you. And the problem will be more of a choice did not accept any credit away from the Sierras.