PDA

View Full Version : Poor mid bass

dustwvl
08-18-2007, 12:12 PM
Looking for some advice. I have tried moving both my speakers and my subwoofer around to multiple locations and have tried playing with the crossover setting in my reciever but I still seem to be getting poor mid bass results. If I use the crossover frequency check on the Digital Video Essentials test dvd, the output drops considerably from the main speakers after the crossover point and then comes back again when the frequency gets low enough. I have made it a little better using a 60 hz crossover instead of a 80 hz but I am just looking for a little advice on what else might help. I have classic 340's up front and classic 170's for surrounds. Any ideas?

curtis
08-18-2007, 01:14 PM
If you run the speakers fullrange, where does it begin to drop off?

What subwoofer do you have, and have to set its own crossover as high as possible or off?

davef
08-18-2007, 01:37 PM
Hi dustwvl,

Sounds like a possible phase problem (speakers might be out of phase with the subwoofer). If your subwoofer has a phase switch, try flipping it from 0 degs to 180 degs.

Let us know.

dustwvl
08-19-2007, 01:51 PM
I do not know exactly where it starts to drop off, the disc I have does not have specific tones it is just a sweep. I am trying to find a free test tone download to use so I can actually try to pinpoint it. On the test disc it says that if the volume drops off and then comes back to adjust placement of the speakers or adjust crossover. I will try the phase switch. I may have tried it before nut I have tried so many things at this point I am losing track. I also need to re check it after running the audyssey set up to see if it helped at all. I have a HSU STF2 subwoofer.

Thanks, and keep the suggestions coming

Mitch G
08-20-2007, 06:16 AM
You can check out RoomEQ Wizard (http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/) which can do a frequency sweep and show you an accurate graph of your room response.
It sounds like you already have an SPL meter. So, the only missing bit may be a sound card if you don't already have one, but they can be picked up relatively cheaply.

Mitch