PDA

View Full Version : The Bourne Ultimatim

Mag_Neato
08-09-2007, 07:47 AM
Saw this last Sunday. I enjoyed it. I used the slower scenes to relax from the many tense action sequences.

The bonus to seeing it: the next Batman trailer, due Summer 2008!

mattopia
08-10-2007, 11:13 PM
Really enjoyed it. I re-watched the first two within a few days of seeing Ultimatum, and I'm glad I did. There's some interesting timeline connections that you may not catch if you don't have the first two in memory.

jeryruse
12-17-2009, 09:52 PM
If nothing else, The Bourne Ultimatum represents the best of 2007's inordinately high number of so-called "threequels." Hopefully, that's not damning with faint praise. The Bourne Ultimatum, the third in the movie trilogy loosely based on Robert Ludlum's novels, is superior to its immediate predecessor but not quite as good as the original. The action is this movie is top-notch (despite the spastic camera) - full of suspense and kinetic energy - but the film doesn't have as much heart or emotional depth as The Bourne Identity. As with The Bourne Supremacy, this movie diverts so far from its "source material" that the only things retained from Ludlum's novel are the title and some of the character names. (Shades of how the James Bond movie producers approached many of Ian Fleming's books.) Ludlum's version of The Bourne Ultimatum is completely different from the one penned by Tony Gilroy and directed by Paul Greengrass.

The film moves so fast there's almost no time to breathe. Although the plot may at first seem convoluted, it's actually fairly straightforward. Jason Bourne (Matt Damon), as part of his ongoing quest to discover his true identity, once again becomes a danger to the CIA. So the department's black ops division, led by Noah Vosen (David Strathairn), targets him for elimination. Also conspiring against him is the agency's director, Ezra Kramer (Scott Glenn), but Bourne has allies as well: agents Pamela Landy (Joan Allen) and Nicky Parsons (Julia Stiles) endanger their careers and lives to help him.