PDA

View Full Version : Surround Sound/5.1

boludaso
07-30-2007, 01:24 PM
Does anyone know how to tell if your HT is actually working correctly for 5.1 sound?

I have a Pio 1015. The DVD audio plugs direct into the Pio, the Svideo goes direct to TV. Sound is coming out of all speakers, but the sound i expect from the system during movies doesnt match my expectations.

Thanks for any comments.

Mag_Neato
07-30-2007, 01:42 PM
1st thing......are all the speakers correctly connected? Front L/C/R, surrounds and sub. Are you running either coax or optical digital out from DVD player to the receiver? Is the dvd player set up to output the digital bitstream in DD and DTS? Sounds simple, but if these are correct, then make sure the receiver's decoding is properly set(automatic detection is the typical setting). Have you run the Pio's auto setup? The video connection has nothing to do with the audio, so leave that alone.

Once all of those are verified, you should have 5.1.

There's a start!

spunky721
07-30-2007, 01:48 PM
You can also use Avia or DVE test tones to make sure that sound is coming out of each speaker when it is called for. Also, make sure you're surrounds are calibrated. You should be set after that. If you've got issues, it's most likely with the mix from the DVD.

boludaso
07-30-2007, 05:01 PM
thank you Mag & Spunky. I'm on it tonight. It is a cheapo DVD so maybe its time to lay down the cash for something nice.

leon55
07-31-2007, 04:06 PM
If you have the 1015 it should show which speakers are on in the led display, make sure you are in the auto mode. All the speakers may not be on all the time, just depends on how it was mixed.