PDA

View Full Version : Not satisfied with 5.1 yet.....

Derek
01-28-2004, 09:55 PM
If you are always sitting at one end of the couch while watching movies, why don't you just recalibrate the surround levels for that spot?

azanon
01-28-2004, 10:03 PM
If i did that, it'd really exaggerate the problem for the person sitting on the other side, as that rear speaker would have to be even louder to create balance to the opposite side. I'd suck being my wife (or a guest)!

I'm looking for a setup that will sound pretty darn good to everyone on the couch, regardless of where you sit. With my rear speakers so close, it might just not be doable with the 5.1 configuration.

ClutchBrake
01-28-2004, 11:49 PM
I'm afraid the only way to do it right will be finding a way to mount them on the walls behind you.

oontahey
01-29-2004, 12:14 AM
I don't know what I am talking about but could you sit the surrounds on the floor? Granted, that sucks too...but it's better than blaring in your ear and you would still get some of the surround effect.

ClutchBrake
01-29-2004, 12:24 AM
Part of Azanon's dilemma is the safety of his son. When he starts getting mobile (very soon) the only safe place for the speakers to be, for both his son and the speakers, will be wall mounted.

azanon
01-29-2004, 12:50 AM
yeah, i'm pretty sure he'd be strong enough to pull the ones i have over now in a few months, and that HTM-200 would land right on his head. I can probably solve that problem using end tables, BUT still that puts the speakers too close.

I might have posted too hastily. I havent tried Sony's DCS modes yet, which creates those virtual speakers (and in doing so, reduces the localization of the sound by a lot, supposedly). Let me see how that works. Do other receiver brands have an equilivant of that?

Azanon

curtis
01-29-2004, 02:00 AM
Mounting on the walls is out of the question?

-curtis

azanon
01-29-2004, 02:35 AM
Well, probably not for someone that knows what they're doing. My attempt at it didnt go so well, and i'm left with 2 holes in my wall that I need to paint over.

I hit something the drillbit wouldnt go through; woodshaving were coming out of the hole, but it wouldnt drill another mm, and no where close to the depth i needed to put that plastic thingy into it so i could mount the omnimounts.

Its embarressing I know, but some things I do well, some things I dont.

ClutchBrake
01-29-2004, 02:52 AM
You need to have your 200s easily accessible. That way when I get 340s set up as rears you can visit and bring your 200s over to do an A-B. [:)]

Derek
01-29-2004, 05:30 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by azanon

I hit something the drillbit wouldnt go through; woodshaving were coming out of the hole, but it wouldnt drill another mm, and no where close to the depth i needed to put that plastic thingy into it so i could mount the omnimounts.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

If wood chips were really coming out of the hole, then that is a good thing. It means you found the stud. If you are screwing the omnimount screws into a stud, then you don't need the plastic wall anchors. Just drill a pilot hole and screw the omnimount bracket in.

Derek

Lou-the-dog
01-29-2004, 07:53 AM
Derek is right. If you hit a stud then the expansion anchors aren't needed. Something that might have stopped your drill-bit might have been a steel plate that is used to protect an in-wall wiring run. The plate is installed over the stud before the dry-wall is installed for prevention of someone driving a nail or screw into the wire run in the wall. If you have an older home then this may not be the case as these probably weren't installed. Drilling thru plaster in an older home can dull a twist-bit almost immediately and could explain why you weren't making progress. Also make sure the drill is turning clock-wise (with the bit facing away from you).

Randy

ClutchBrake
01-29-2004, 09:18 AM
His house is newer so you might be on to something with your first suggestion.

azanon
01-29-2004, 01:26 PM
yeah i hit something the drillbit would not go through at all, maybe one of those metal plates. The wood shavings were probably just from the sides of the hole I had already made. I didnt get the depth i needed for the omnimount screw, so that didnt work out.

Quinn
01-29-2004, 09:47 PM
Try it again a little higher or lower.

azanon
01-29-2004, 10:15 PM
OK, i'm just going to get my Dad to help, who's much more adept at this stuff that me. I already took the omnimounts back, but help me choose between the ones listed here for the HTM-200s: http://www.speakerbracket.com/
I'd like to go with the one with the threaded insert, but if i'm looking at that correctly, that only have one insert whereas the HTM-200 was designed with 2 offset inserts? So should i get the one with the plate instead?

I'm just gonna get the one rated up to 7 lbs. It'll hold :-)

Derek
01-30-2004, 12:15 AM
The inserts on the 200 are there so you can bolt the speaker mount bracket instead of drilling holes into the cabinet. If you look at the bracket in your link above, you would use the slotted holes to attach the bracket to the speaker.

azanon
01-30-2004, 12:24 AM
yeah that makes sense to me.

All i'm saying though is had Ascend gone with a single 1/4" x 20 in the center of the speaker instead of two offset, i could have just bought the one with the 1/4" by 20 connector and screwed it directly into the speaker.

But i better not get that type and screw it into one of the two holes cause the weight wouldnt be distributed evenly, aye?

(edit: Can you tell i play everquest too much? lol)

curtis
01-30-2004, 12:26 AM
I'm with Derek....

and I would get the 7 to 17 lbs. version.

-curtis

azanon
01-30-2004, 12:54 AM
Alright, i'll get the 7 to 17 lb version with the plate. (Considered the smaller one cause the screws might be shallower).

The DCS soundfield didnt really help much btw. And i dont care for it cause it maniputales the sound anyway.

azanon
02-07-2004, 11:27 PM
Yey! I got my surrounds, HTM-200s, wall mounted finally (Dad, the handyman, helped out). My setup sounds much better sitting anywhere on my couch.