PDA

View Full Version : High Definition Radio,really HD?

jvillas
07-08-2007, 11:13 AM
Hi, Is high definition radio really high definition. From what I have been able to find on the web there is an increase in frequency response in both the AM and FM TO 15,000 and 18,000 Hrz respectively, this is great, but I do not think this is cd quality, as is often claimed. I cannot find anything on distortion values.

Alot is found on HD radios ability to pick-up cleanly many additional stations. Is this what is also meant to be part of the definition of HD radio?

If any Ascend owners listen to Hd Radio, I'd like to know what your thoughts are on sound quality and value. I believe Hd radio is a paid service.

muzz
07-08-2007, 11:21 AM
I thought it was free if ya have the equipment?

jvillas
07-08-2007, 11:31 AM
muzz, thanks for the correction. I did'nt know for sure. I thought it was a service you subscribe to. Thanks again

muzz
07-08-2007, 12:19 PM
NP j,
I'm pretty sure it's free, but I never bothered to check on the other specifics.
Maybe someone else that actually uses it, will chime in on how good it is.

curtis
07-08-2007, 12:26 PM
Yeah...the signal is free...you just need to have a receiver.

BradJudy
07-08-2007, 12:42 PM
I haven't tried it yet, but I'm hoping it becomes standard on car head units soon instead of being a sat radio style add-on tuner. Once it does, I might finally get a new head unit for my car and check it out. I know there are a few head units with built in HD tuners, but not many last I checked and not in Alpine which I've always liked.

drewface
07-08-2007, 10:56 PM
I haven't tried it yet, but I'm hoping it becomes standard on car head units soon instead of being a sat radio style add-on tuner. Once it does, I might finally get a new head unit for my car and check it out. I know there are a few head units with built in HD tuners, but not many last I checked and not in Alpine which I've always liked.
it's interesting to hear you say that. from my experience, it seems like HD radio has more or less become common in car stereos. i'd like to see it make more of an impact on home stereo tuners. i'd like to buy my dad a decent stereo receiver to power his new outdoor speakers i got him for the deck he just built, but i'm waiting for one with an HD tuner. right now the high-end denon home theatre A/V receivers are the only ones i've seen with HD tuners.

HD radio is supposed to have better sound quality, but only for stations that broadcast in HD. it is a purely digital signal as opposed to the standard analog radio signals of normal broadcasting, which is why it can sound cleaner (more data can be sent, signal can be filtered, etc). the "extra channels" that can be picked up by HD tuners are really just that, extra channels. because of the digital broadcasting, more channels can be squeezed into a given range of frequencies. from what i understand of it, many current stations that broadcast their main frequency in HD also have a separate broadcast alongside of it at a slightly different frequency (i think they refer to it as A and B channels or something like) that can have different programming with less commercials/dj talk (maybe like just a preselect playlist looping through off a computer?)... or something like that. it's been a little while since i read up on it, so i would recommend doing a quick search for it on wikipedia or something.

HD radio also has its own site at http://www.hdradio.com/ that is fairly helpful in understanding its benefits if you're not that interested in the science behind it.

dallas
07-12-2007, 07:07 AM
There's no such thing as "high definition" radio. HD radio is "Hybrid Digitial, meaning the digital signal overlaps with the analog. They use "HD" because people assume things.

Can it sound better? Yes

Will it? up to the station.

BradJudy
07-12-2007, 08:21 AM
it's interesting to hear you say that. from my experience, it seems like HD radio has more or less become common in car stereos.

If you look at Crutchfield's site, they list 34 car stereos as being "HD ready" (meaning external tuner box like XM/Sirius) and only 2 as having built-in HD tuners.

drewface
07-12-2007, 02:59 PM
If you look at Crutchfield's site, they list 34 car stereos as being "HD ready" (meaning external tuner box like XM/Sirius) and only 2 as having built-in HD tuners.that's really weird. i could have sworn about 6 months ago or so i was looking at car audio stuff and a bunch of the head units had built in HD tuners. it's puzzling to me why HD radio isn't taking off more. i mean... better quality radio broadcasts with no subscription fees AND many major stations are already providing it.

you're right, though, i just checked out a couple car audio companies' sites and the HD tuners were scarce.

jvillas
07-12-2007, 03:01 PM
There's no such thing as "high definition" radio. HD radio is "Hybrid Digitial, meaning the digital signal overlaps with the analog. They use "HD" because people assume things.

Can it sound better? Yes

Will it? up to the station.

Thanks dallas,I did some surfing around found the words "Hybrid Definition" to be rarely used and "High definition" or "HD" to be most often used. Thanks for clearing things up. Now things make more sense to me. Nice to see radio improve. Now my expectations can be more realistic.