PDA

View Full Version : Need SACD Player Recommendations

Timbre
07-01-2007, 08:12 AM
Assuming SACD is the way to go to listen to "reference" quality Hi-Rez music,
I was wondering what you all are using for a player. I would like to enter into the SACD world so I can add more audiophile music to supplement my DVD-A collection, and make my Ascend HT sound it's best.
Thanks.

bdfin
07-01-2007, 05:09 PM
I am using an Oppo DV-970HD, as are a few other members here I believe. Plays SACD, DVD-A, and Flac files. Also upconverts your standard dvd playback for your movie collection. May not be the best, but for 150.00 its doing well.

Timbre
07-01-2007, 05:22 PM
Thanks bdfin.
I looked at the Oppo and I like the thin profile. I was wondering how you have your audio connected, co-axial or optical intercconnections.
Also do you have analog-audio output?
And what kind of difference can you hear between SACD and CD?

bdfin
07-01-2007, 06:07 PM
It has HDMI if your amp/receiver has that available. It also has digital coax or optical. It shows in the manual a pair of ports called mixed and says if you have none of the above connections to use this which appears to be a standard left right analog connection. Right now I am using the coax connection to my receiver. Could use the optical but don't have one extra optical cable at the moment. It comes with an HDMI cable and the digital coax cable. I have only had it for about a month and do not have any SACD discs yet. I have played dvd-a and discs burned with FLAC files. I use the HDMI to connect to my Samsung display. The dvd-a and standard dvd movies look and sound great.

curtis
07-01-2007, 06:46 PM
I also have a Oppo 970HD.

I have it hooked up via optical for use as a CD player and DVD(DD & DTS), and by the 5.1 analog outputs for DVD-A and SACD....for the price, you can't beat it.

Sam1000
07-10-2007, 03:15 PM
With the price drop, I really jumped on it. Supposed to be a very good SACD player. I'm waiting for mine to show up.

chas
07-11-2007, 05:51 AM
Price drop?

Sam1000
07-11-2007, 07:55 AM
Price drop?

Yes, I'm talking about PS3(it's in the title of my message). It dropped from 599 to 499 this week and Amazon is running a promo. They are including the Bluetuth remote control and Memento BD.

BradJudy
07-11-2007, 08:06 AM
With the price drop, I really jumped on it. Supposed to be a very good SACD player. I'm waiting for mine to show up.

To use it as an SACD player, aren't you limited to stereo output if you don't have a receiver with HDMI input with audio decoding?

Sam1000
07-11-2007, 08:09 AM
To use it as an SACD player, aren't you limited to stereo output if you don't have a receiver with HDMI input with audio decoding?
Yes, that is correct. It does not have Analog audio output. You need to have HDMI 1.1 capable receiver to output in multi channel mode.

debo
08-12-2007, 08:18 PM
Curtis,
I have been looking to add a dedicated CDP to my HT and remembered this thread about you using the oppo analog to listen to cd's. Have you used the "Audio Only Mode"? If so is it good enough that mabye I won't want a dedicated CDP. I was really close to buying a Jolida JD-100 but also think I might get a better benifit with a universal player if I found one that sounds good enough.

Thanks

curtis
08-12-2007, 08:38 PM
Jeff,

For 2-channel listening, I only use the digital connection to my pre/pro.

I do use the 5.1 analog outs for SACD and DVD-A, and I think it sounds great, but I also have not really compared it to much.

Jonnyozero3
08-12-2007, 10:53 PM
Don't forget the new Oppo 980H is an option as well. As the update to the 970, it is supposed to be further refined as far as audio is concerned. Me, I just like the looks :)