PDA

View Full Version : Anybody familiar with Yamaha receivers? V2400 to be exact?

Massive
06-22-2007, 01:21 PM
Hi everybody,

I have a dilemma. With my receiver I only listen to music in "Direct Stereo" mode which means it's completely un-processed (DSP-wise) stereo, 2 channel-only music. However with my Ascend 340SEs, the bass lacks a bit, so ideally i'd like to throw in a subwoofer into the mix. However, the only way I know to do that is to engage the "2ch stereo" mode which applies processing to the music - the woofer plays now, in 2.1, but the soundstage and imaging is immediately lost due to the processing!

Is there a way to add the woofer's capabilities without changing the "Direct Stereo" soundstage and imaging?

Mag_Neato
06-22-2007, 01:34 PM
If the sub has high level(speaker) inputs, you could piggyback wires from either L/R speaker terminals on the receiver to the sub. You would simply adjust the sub's volume and phase to blend where the mains fall off.

Galwin
06-22-2007, 01:57 PM
You can also run 2-channel with sub by punching the straight button on the right front of the receiver, though you will not bypass the circuits, as in the direct mode. If you make sure that the equalizer setting are all flat, the sound should be close to the Direct mode, though it is not identical.

I found the Yamaha to be on the bright side an opted only to use its pre-amp. I puchased a seperate amp with good results.

If you've only recently purchased the 340SE's, take some time to get used to their level of accuracy. You may percieve it as brightness at first, but it is at least in part due to your ears being used to less than accurate speakers.

muzz
06-22-2007, 05:55 PM
Y You may percieve it as brightness at first, but it is at least in part due to your ears being used to less than accurate speakers.

Yep- good assertion!!