PDA

View Full Version : Sierra vs 340 for LRC?

cslewis
06-13-2007, 08:02 PM
Hello all,

I'm about to purchase new speakers and am trying to decide between the new Sierra's across the front, or 340s (with 170's in the rear in either scenario).

The room they'll be in is about 15 x 12, however, the right "wall" (on the 12 foot side) is a bar that looks into the kitchen, and there is a nice opening in the right corner to the rest of the apartment that will help leak the sound over there.

With that said, I'll probably be doing ~ 70% music listening, and 30% HT. Or maybe 60/40. Regardless, the music aspect is more important than the movie sound. Whichever I get would most likely be powered by a new Onkyo 605.

Are the Sierras overkill in this situation? I know I can't go wrong either way, because my current speakers are iPod headphones and laptop speakers, so anything is going to sound better than what I have right now! ;)

Any help / suggestions is most appreciated! Thanks!

Mag_Neato
06-14-2007, 05:55 AM
If cost is not a problem, the Sierra-1's are my choice. Going from classic 170's to these has been a quantum leap in performance. Not that the 170's ever disappointed me, but I can never go back now.

I was watching a movie last night with a friend. I only have two Sierras with a B&W center.....no surrounds hooked up and no sub, Sierras running full range. There was a scene with thunder. My friend was startled and thought a thunderstorm was outside! The impact from the Sierras is something that needs to be experienced.

muzz
06-14-2007, 01:36 PM
Sierras look better
Sierras are smaller
Sierras go deeper
I'd personally go Sierra myself

As stated, the 170/340 are both very capable speakers, and produce great sound, but the Sierra just sounds better to me.

You didn't mention a sub, I ASSUME you are going to use one, since you are installing 170 surrounds.

The Sierras can be used full range for MUSIC if ya don't have a sub right now, where as the others, rely on a sub more so.

cslewis
06-14-2007, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the advice. You are correct about the sub, just don't know which one yet! Sounds like Sierra is definitely the way to go. I'll give it another day or two of thought though.

Does the stand for the 340's work with the Sierras as well? I didn't see any stands on the website for the Sierra.

curtis
06-14-2007, 04:23 PM
Does the stand for the 340's work with the Sierras as well? I didn't see any stands on the website for the Sierra.
Yes they do. There are also many other stands that will work with them.

Blue Dude
06-14-2007, 08:30 PM
How would you go about securing the Sierra's to a stand other than the 340 stand? I can't figure out how it's done and I am uncomfortable with buying stands without knowing this first.

curtis
06-14-2007, 08:36 PM
How would you go about securing the Sierra's to a stand other than the 340 stand? I can't figure out how it's done and I am uncomfortable with buying stands without knowing this first.
You can use something like earthquake putty or Blu-tak.

merrymaid520
06-15-2007, 03:17 PM
Hello everyone,

I have been a loyal ascend fan for quite some time but do not frequent the board often. I have follwed the path of upgrading starting from the 340 CMT's across the front with 170's for surrounds to the newer 340 SE's across the front now. Now I have ordered the new Sierras and am selling my 340 SE's on audiogon. Just wondering other than bass extension, will I notice a greater sonic improvement/difference from the "classic" 340's to the SE's or from the SE's to the Sierra's? When I received the SE's, I definately notice better bass and smoother higher frequencies when played louder over the originals.

Just curious, is all!

Thanks guys,
Brandon

Mike^S
06-15-2007, 03:40 PM
I think there is an improvement across the board with the Sierras. It isn't just the bass. The highs and mids are improved as well although they may be less noticeable than the bass.

curtis
06-15-2007, 03:42 PM
I think there is an improvement across the board with the Sierras. It isn't just the bass. The highs and mids are improved as well although they may be less noticeable than the bass.
Agreed.

muzz
06-15-2007, 03:44 PM
Agreed.

Agreed...again

cslewis
07-06-2007, 11:45 PM
How long does it typically take items to ship? I ordered Wednesday evening (closed for the 4th, I know), but as of today I still haven't gotten any information about shipping (even an estimated date of shipping). I emailed them as well and haven't gotten a response.

muzz
07-07-2007, 05:39 AM
cslewis-

I know it's tough, but hang in there, I'm sure your info will be forwarded to you very soon.

curtis
07-07-2007, 08:42 AM
I'm not sure the office was open on Thursday and Friday.

cslewis
07-07-2007, 08:43 AM
I know, I'm hanging. I'm sure the products will make it worth the wait though!

cslewis
07-07-2007, 08:44 AM
That would explain things if so. Guess I'll find out soon enough!

Blue Dude
10-16-2007, 11:10 AM
You can use something like earthquake putty or Blu-tak.

I couldn't find either of those specific items in central Florida, but I did find something called Duck Poster Putty at an arts and crafts store. It cost less than $2 for enough putty to stick two Sierras very firmly to their metal stands. It's been about a month of some occasional jostling and they haven't budged. I should probably check to see how the finish on the bottom of the speakers is holding up though.