PDA

View Full Version : Top Five CDs Everyone Should Own...

Jonnyozero3
06-07-2007, 07:21 AM
Hey Guys,

My cd/dvda/sacd/dvdv music collection is way too sparse, so I'm looking to beef it up. I didn't see a list like this in here (if there is one, be kind and show me :) ), so I thought I would start a thread up. Here's what I'd love to hear:

What are the five albums you think every person should own?

That's it! I'm really curious to see what you guys say. Beware. I'll probably go buy them all :p

BradJudy
06-07-2007, 08:24 AM
Wow, that's so tough because of all of the genres. That's like picking only one album in each of the broadest levels of genres (rock/pop, jazz, classical, country, hip-hop/rap)

I'm not sure where I would start.

metalaaron
06-07-2007, 09:45 AM
i just thought of the media i already own that i would immediately buy again if lost

metallica - the black album
dave matthews / tim reynolds - live at luther college
eric clapton - unplugged
alice in chains - unplugged
crossroads guitar festival (http://www.amazon.com/Crossroads-Guitar-Festival-Eric-Clapton/dp/B0002Y4T92/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-9553320-3560706?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1181234549&sr=8-1)

curtis
06-07-2007, 10:37 AM
yeah....too many.

When I get home, I can list what is in my case of CDs I use for auditioning speakers.

chas
06-07-2007, 11:10 AM
curtis - I ordered that Chesky demo CD you've mentioned...it's been a couple of weeks and haven't received it yet (ordered direct from Chesky)

curtis
06-07-2007, 11:22 AM
curtis - I ordered that Chesky demo CD you've mentioned...it's been a couple of weeks and haven't received it yet (ordered direct from Chesky)
I don't remember where I got mine from....CES, Chesky, or Amazon......I do know that I did not wait that long for it.

Quinn
06-07-2007, 12:48 PM
Curtis, we both bought the Chesky disc at CES from the Chesky booth.

curtis
06-07-2007, 01:21 PM
Curtis, we both bought the Chesky disc at CES from the Chesky booth.
LOL! Which is why I didn't have to wait for it. So if I guessed CES or Chesky, I would have been right. :)

sensibull
06-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Nothing surprising or exotic here, but if you don't own them or haven't grokked* them at one time or another, I think you're missing out.

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Bob Marley - Exodus
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
Neil Young - After the Gold Rush
The Clash - London Calling

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grok

drewface
06-07-2007, 03:39 PM
The Clash - London Callinggood choice! i think i'd probably add:

Mighty Mighty Bosstones: Let's Face It
Green Day: Dookie
at least one Metallica album from the Black Album or before (master of puppets is my favorite)

the rest of my favorites are sort of niche, so i don't think i'd say everyone should own them... i've always really really enjoyed Eagles: Hotel California, though.

Jonnyozero3
06-07-2007, 10:04 PM
Wow, that's so tough because of all of the genres. That's like picking only one album in each of the broadest levels of genres (rock/pop, jazz, classical, country, hip-hop/rap)

I'm not sure where I would start.

I can narrow it down a bit - you can probably omit country and hip-iddy-hop/rap from the list :)

I think sensibull hit the nail on the head with the "grok" reference (nicely done btw, i'm a Heinlein fan, but hadn't read SIASL in so long, I had forgotten the meaning) - basically I'm looking for music that everyone should experience. I already see some albums in here that sure, I've heard some of the songs and recogize them, but I really need to own them and hear them in my own home on my setup to "grok" them :). So, just trying to find out what else you guys would suggest...

Chas - I would call or email those Chesky guys, I seem to remember I recieved my disc rather quickly.

Metalaaron, Sensibull, Drewface - thanks for the lists thus far. I already see some stuff I need...

Oh and drewface, I don't mind niche - throw it out there. I'll google it at least ;)

chas
06-08-2007, 05:31 AM
Received my Chesky order in the mail yesterday. Haven't had time to listen to it yet, but they included a Chesky 2K sampler CD as well for no charge.

drewface
06-08-2007, 05:54 AM
Oh and drewface, I don't mind niche - throw it out there. I'll google it at least ;)alright:

Fifteen - Lucky
Avail - Over the James
Tim Barry - Rivanna Junction
Hum - You'd Prefer an Astronaut
Weakerthans - Reconstruction Site

tim barry's album is straight up folk, which i find funny because he is also the lead singer for avail, which is a melodic hardcore band. you mentioned you don't like country, but you should still give it a listen if you get the chance. i'm not a fan of country music, either, but there's a lot of good music with a heavy country influence that isn't painful to listen to.

the weakerthans could be considered fairly mainstream, i think, just forgot to put them on the list before... like many people here have already said, it's really hard to narrow down to just 5 albums.

picasso
06-08-2007, 06:02 AM
Santana---Abraxus
Van Morrisson---Days Like This
Madonna---Madonna
Travis Tripp---Down The Road I Go
Mambo Kings Soundtrack

picasso
06-08-2007, 06:03 AM
Sorry Goofed.

-- Tripp ++ Tritt

BradJudy
06-08-2007, 06:25 AM
I can narrow it down a bit - you can probably omit country and hip-iddy-hop/rap from the list :)

I think sensibull hit the nail on the head with the "grok" reference ...

Interesting, my POV is that if you want to grok things, you have to keep country and hip-hop/rap in there. If I were to pick five CDs that everyone should own, I would probably pick each from a different genre because I think everyone should grok at least a piece of each genre.

It looks like people are going for true albums instead of collection albums, which is interesting. It's probably a sign of being big music fans.

I'll see what I can come up....

Jonnyozero3
06-17-2007, 11:35 PM
Brad -

You do make a compelling point. I'd say that yes, I'll buy an album or two from some of the other genre (is that plural?) that I typically would ignore. It'll probably be good for me. Plus, I'll have other music for when guests don't like my selection ;)

Any recommendations from you? You don't have to limit it to five, I was just trying to keep the list manageable.

BradJudy
06-19-2007, 11:44 AM
Okay, I'll give things a shot with a larger net. How about five in each genre and everyone can pick what sounds most interesting to them.

Jazz:

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue - instrumental jazz lead by trumpet and piano with John Coltrane on sax (Has been mentioned and is often the one jazz album people own. It's one of the classics.)

Piano: Thelonious Monk - Monk's Dream or Art Tatum - Best of the Pablo Solo Sessions

Classic vocals: Billie Holiday (lots of greatest hits disks out there, must have God Bless the Child - I have the Diva collection album) or Ella Fitzgerald (also many collection albums out there - the Ken Burns Jazz one looks good)

Swing: Duke Ellington, Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller or Count Basie - lots of collection albums and I can't say I have a great one to recommend

Modern vocals: Frank Sinatra (I'm not into him, but there's no denying he's a classic) or Diana Krall - Live in Paris

Okay, that didn't turn out too well for even limiting it to five albums...I'll try harder for the next genre. :)

Jonnyozero3
06-20-2007, 04:17 AM
Wow, thanks for taking the time to list all of this. Now give me more, more! :D

clarke68
06-20-2007, 11:46 AM
Interesting, if impossible, challenge to pick just 5 albums. Here's five that (I don't think) have been mentioned yet, that are probably a different five than I'd pick on a different day:

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
One of the crowning acheivements of jazz...not just spiritually/musically groundbreaking, it's also one heck of a great listen.

AC/DC - Back in Black
When I was in 7th grade, you simply could not be cool without owning this. Listening to it 25 years later, it still rocks the house and is one of the better recorded rock records to boot.

Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus
Sonny Rollins was the greatest saxophone player in the world (arguably) until Coltrane came along. This is, essentially, his Kind of Blue.

Parliament - Mothership Connection
Perennial funk classic. Turn this mother out!

William Parker - O'Neal's Porch
A modern classic that deserves wider circulation. Adventurous, free playing combined with killer grooves & melodies.

curtis
06-20-2007, 11:02 PM
not really what you asked for, but here are the CDs I currently carry with me when listening to auditioning speakers (in no particular order):

Bill Evans - A Waltz for Debbie
Eddie Palmieri - Listen Here!
Dean Peer - Ucross
Ray Lamontagne - Till The Sun Turns Black
Chesky's Audiophile Vocal Recordings
The Best of Groovenote
K.D. Lang - Hymns of the 49th Parallel
Bela Fleck - Flight of the Cosmic Hippo
Ray Montford - Shed Your Skin
Fairfield Four - Standing in the Safety Zone
Chesky's 10 Best HE Editors Picks
Chesky's Ultimate Demo Disc
Dave Matthews Band - Crash
Patricia Barber - Nightclub

BradJudy
06-22-2007, 11:53 AM
I discussed the country genre with my wife some (she largely listens to modern country) and we came up with a possible lineup for five here:

Johnny Cash Probably something like The Legend of Johnny Cash - classic singer that appeals to a lot of people. His newer "American" series is great stuff, but less country. (a Merle Haggard greatest hits album is probably more classic country than Cash and is another option).

Reba McEntire - she has three different Greatest hits albums and a 2-disc "#1's" set. If you can count "#1 Hits" as one album, it's probably the best choice

Garth Brooks - The Hits - requirement since he led a revival in interest in country music

Kenny Rogers - I grew up hearing a lot of Kenny Rogers, so I consider it a must have, but it can be pretty cheesy. Despite many greatest hits albums, few have all of the songs I consider key. "20 Great Years" looks like a decent set.

Martina McBride - Greatest hits A great singer with some good stuff, probably deserving of the list.

As with all of these, there are probably better options or alternate lists.

BTW: With the jazz list and this list, many of these CDs can be had on the cheap via Amazon used section or yourmusic.com.

clarke68
06-22-2007, 01:56 PM
Another day, another five:

Charles Mingus - Ah Hum
Mingus was many things: great bass player, great composer, great band leader, great pain in the neck...and no single album exists that shows all of that. Okay, maybe Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus, but this has all the hits, and really good performances of them at that.

Led Zepplin - Led Zepplin II
Zep1 probably deserves a nod just for "Stairway...", but this has "Heartbreaker", which features the greatest rock bass line in history.

Grandmaster Flash - Rhino Hi-Five: Grandmaster Flash
This is a compilation, rather than on original document, but it's the only place I know where you can get both "The Message" and "The Adventures of Grandmaster Flash on the Wheels of Steel" on the same disc, which pretty much laid the foundation for all rap/hip-hop ("Message" for the MCs, and "Adventures" for DJs).

Bob Marley - Legend
Yet another compilation, but this one is so ubiquitous that if you don't know it you risk falling at least 10 points behind on any cultural literacy exam.

Dave Holland Quintet - Extended Play: Live at Birdland
Another modern classic - Holland's band had been together around 10 years when this was recorded (which is rare enough in itself these days), so these guys were (are) tight beyond tight. Great compositions, great grooves, and great performances with lots of telepathic improvisation.

muzz
06-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Off the top of myhead-

Queensryche- Operation Mindcrime- VGalbum- every song is good IMO,epic type album- every song is part of a longer story

PF Dark side of the moon- Unquestioned Dynamics

Pearl Jam- TEN- every song is a hit

Supertramp classics- Great tunes, maybe not the best remaster, but great dynamics for sure- Underrated IMO

Steely Dan- A decade of Steely Dan- all great tunes

jvillas
06-23-2007, 01:00 PM
I have been thinking about this for a couple of weeks now, and still don't how to respond. This is really difficult. :rolleyes:

jvillas
06-23-2007, 01:57 PM
OK here it goes.

The Beatles- Revolver
I could have gone with Zappa, Hendrix, Dylan and others.

Miles Davis- Bitches Brew, Complete Set
The most difficult catagory for me There is just so much good stuff out there.

J.S.Bach -The 6 cello Sonatas
Pablo Casals 1959 recording an extraordinary interpretation. I believe this was his third recording of these Sonatas

Lee Sratch Perry-Black Ark Experryments
The legenddary producer/performer of Reggae and Dub

Billie Holiday- Lady in Satin
This is Billie with an orchestra in 1959. A very personal favorite of mine. Every song that she sings on this album just rips at my heart. Her voice Crackles and breaks every now and then,and she will slur some of her words. Even with these technical difficulties her interpretive skill is at its best. This is one album I will never be without.

metalaaron
06-23-2007, 02:26 PM
gota say that over time i lean towards compilation cd's for something like this. here's a great album... one that, even if you don't know who some of the artists are, you can put it on and leave it playing for hours. i dabble in the realm of fingerstyle, but when i hear or see these guys ... i'm blown away.

masters of acoustic guitar (http://www.amazon.com/Masters-Acoustic-Guitar-Various-Artists/dp/B000005P0C/ref=pd_sim_m_1/002-7062726-4495211?ie=UTF8&qid=1182633530&sr=1-3)

Jonnyozero3
07-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Thanks guys! I've got a *ton* of stuff picked from these lists so far. I'm just peeved that I'm out of the states again for a few months (already), and I won't get to buy the discs and listen to my Sierras for a while. Arrgh! It sucks! :(

jsotelo
07-20-2007, 09:28 AM
5 for “everybody” huh

Well these aren’t my necessarily my favorite CD’s but my favorite for parties and mixed company.

Flim & The BB’s – Further Adventures

Bob Marley – Legend

Creedence Clearwater Revival – Chronicles

Ella Fitzgerald – The Best of the Song Books

Queen - Greatest hits volume 1 and 2 "boxset"

davef
07-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Off the top of myhead-

Queensryche- Operation Mindcrime- VGalbum- every song is good IMO,epic type album- every song is part of a longer story

PF Dark side of the moon- Unquestioned Dynamics

Pearl Jam- TEN- every song is a hit

Supertramp classics- Great tunes, maybe not the best remaster, but great dynamics for sure- Underrated IMO

Steely Dan- A decade of Steely Dan- all great tunes

Muzz,

That Queensryche CD is one of my all time favorites... Haven't listened to it in years but I was addicted to it back in the late 80's... Also, same with Supertramp. I think I am going to dig up some old Cd's tonight :)

Upon the recommendation of forum members, I picked up the Damien Rice CD, 9 Crimes.. It is fantastic, worthy of everyone's collection.

Nils Lofgren, "Acoustic Live" is another one, fantastic acoustic guitar work!

davef
07-20-2007, 11:36 AM
I discussed the country genre with my wife some (she largely listens to modern country) and we came up with a possible lineup for five here:

Hi Brad,

This is funny actually.. My wife has been listening to the new Carrie Underwood CD in her car (I think it is all she listens to now) It is starting to grow on me... Never thought I would say such a thing ;)

ebh
07-20-2007, 12:08 PM
Closest thing to modern country I ever listen to is Lyle Lovett, if that even counts. Otherwise, just can't do it. Some classic country and bluegrass I can also handle, but most modern country sounds too overproduced to me and the lyrics seem pretty vapid. I have a friend who loves it though.

Muzz, gonna have to pull out Pearl Jam--it's been a long time since I've played Ten, or any of their albums really.

Not a top 5 maybe, but recently I put on Van Morrison's Astral Weeks, and heard many things on the Ascends that I hadn't heard before. I think the most pleasing thing was really hearing the tone of the woodwind instruments on the album--I always knew the notes, but listening recently on my Ascends I was really able to hear the tone of the barry sax, the alto, and the flutes. It really added a lot to the album to have that texture in there.

I'm still looking for wonderfully-recorded music in genres I listen to. I love those very few albums where the speakers completely disappear (i.e. you don't perceive any sound directly coming out of the speakers) and you really get a holographic soundstage.

Also, I've been recently enjoying the Monk/Coltrane at Carnegie Hall--excellent live recording.

muzz
07-20-2007, 02:12 PM
I used to practice that album Dave(in our rehearsel studio- to either massive crown amps/Horns- or headphones), I knew all the chops in it.
We actually played a few Queensryche tunes back then, but I had Mindcrime down(I should have- I practiced the whole album many many times on nights off)- lots of fun, Scott Rockenfield is a good drummer- different than most.

THAT was the time to dig Queensryche, after that.... digital........ Empire was decent, but they went downhill after that(IMO)...

Great stuff

curtis
07-20-2007, 07:44 PM
Upon the recommendation of forum members, I picked up the Damien Rice CD, 9 Crimes.. It is fantastic, worthy of everyone's collection.

Got this today for our trip.....great stuff!!