PDA

View Full Version : Amps: Emotiva vs. Outlaw?

dallas
06-05-2007, 12:53 PM
Are one of these brands better than the other in the amp department? Or don't bother with either. I want 2 things, Quality and Value.

I've been trying to read some to educate myself, but to me receivers is all I knew in the home. Although I dealt with pro component Amps a lot in the stage/theater world, I certainly never got into A/B comparisons and performance testing, thus I don't know the intracacies.

curtis
06-05-2007, 02:04 PM
I think it all depends on how you judge quality and value.

Emotiva is still relatively new. I have read the many happy reports from owners, I have also read some not so happy posts.

Outlaw has been around longer. Some of their amp are built by ATI, a solid amp company, and build amps like tanks (I currently use an older ATI 1505 for my center and surrounds). That said, and to be fair to Emotiva, I have read about some Outlaw amps having problems with some speakers...but far and few between.

As you know, amp prices vary greatly. What I would do is set a specific price point and also look at the used market.

chas
06-05-2007, 04:07 PM
Are you looking for a 2, 5, 7 channel amp?

dallas
06-05-2007, 04:18 PM
definately 7 channels, I apoligize I didn't specify. Likely 125w or better.

decat1
06-05-2007, 08:11 PM
definately 7 channels, I apoligize I didn't specify. Likely 125w or better.

Hi, my first post, really I donīt know if I must said something because I didnīt heard Emotiva or Outlaw amplifiers, but maybe can give something useful. After use integrated (Nakamichi TA4, NAD 753, Yamaha 1700, Harman 635) I go to separates, Adcom (an old GFA7400) and actually a Gemstone Blue Diamond, first use the Yamaha and the Harman like pre/pro but now this aspect is managed in a brilliant manner by an Emotiva DMC1. I consider the ATI and the Outlaws but the Gemstones come in the forums how one of the betters and I donīt regret my decision, for sure are a very outstanding product, the sound quality is excellent, anyway when the circumstances allow Iīll try an ATI. The Ascends 340SE (soon the Sierra 1) sound very (but really very) well with this electronics. In Audiogon I saw a few days ago an ATI 2007 that looks fantastic. Hope that these experiences help at least a little. (Excuses for my English, Iīm still learning).

curtis
06-05-2007, 09:10 PM
Do you have a price point in mind?

dallas
06-05-2007, 09:20 PM
probably between 500-1200. I also probaly won't be buying for 6+ months so newer models may be out. General impressions on the companies bang for my buck is what I'm looking for.

curtis
06-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Oh...I see.

I think Outlaw is more proven at this point.

muzz
06-06-2007, 04:12 AM
Oh...I see.

I think Outlaw is more proven at this point.

I was at a customers warehouse just recently, I've been there many times b4......
Just last week, I noticed something that I'd never noticed B4(never looked), on the sign out front(a few businesses in one long building).

Outlaw Audio !!

I may have to stop in there myself. :D