PDA

View Full Version : Building you own component rack.

Quinn
06-04-2007, 01:21 PM
I know a few of you have done your own AV stands(Brad and Jim?). I want to build a rack for my two channel and I can't make heads or tails out of the tslots site to figure out what I need. I only need 3 shelves and I want to use something like these bamboo cutting boards (http://www.chefscatalog.com/catalog/product.aspx?scommand=search&search=bamboo%2bcutting%2bboard&sourcecode=7W4GG4008&SiteID=1366345&item=10653) for shelves. I know the John Boos boards are popular for setting components on but those are really pricey.

Any advice and suggestions are welcome.

BradJudy
06-04-2007, 02:28 PM
Quinn,

I've made three racks so far. The first was steel gas pipe because they make flanges with bolt holes. It was rock solid, but lacked adjustability.

Next was a rack using threaded rod, nuts and washers. It's infinitely adjustable, but has a bit of an industrial look (you've probably seen these racks, they are popular for DIY).

Last was the T-slot Salamander Synergy knock-off. Which is also adjustable, but not as cheap to build.

For a rack like you're talking about, either the threaded rod or T-slot approaches would probably work well. I can give more specific guidance on either one, including T-slot or 80/20 part numbers.

Are you envisioning those cutting boards being inside the legs or having the legs go through them?

Quinn
06-05-2007, 11:14 AM
Moved the 2 channel into the new room last night and blech! The room is just way too acoustically alive. It would cost at least a few hundred bucks to tame the room so back into the family room goes the 2 channel rig . No need for a new stand now.