PDA

View Full Version : Good for rock? Small rooms?

Gregisme
01-20-2004, 02:39 AM
3) definitely. There are those who own the speakers and are happy enough with the amount of bass provided, but the clear majority advise to mate this speaker with a good subwoofer as they will really compliment eachother.

Many here and elsewhere (including the Ascend people) really favor the Hsu subs. These subs can be ordered from Ascend too as they have a good relationship with Hsu. Like Ascend, very good quality at a budget price. Hence, the close business relationship.

JohnnyCasaba
01-20-2004, 05:25 AM
Hello,

1) Not familiar with Monster Magnet, but don't think there is anything muddled about the 170's sound with Classic Rock like AC/DC, Led Zep and the like.

2) Have my setup in a similar sized room (24x12ft) and they are more than enough to fill the room with sound for both HT and music.

3) I do think you will want a sub for music.

4) Have the NAD T752, nice match with the Ascends.

5) Not familiar with the Linn's

EngenZerO
01-20-2004, 05:59 AM
1) The CBM-170 hold their own with rock. I enjoy listening to Static-X, Slipknot, etc on my Ascends.
2) I think those deminsions will be ok, I am in a similar situation.
3) Yes. I have a SVS with my Ascends it is a great combo imo
4) From what I have read, NAD goes will with the Ascends. You may also want to look @ H/K.
5) ????

[he_who_dares_wins] - sas

sssand2
01-20-2004, 12:54 PM
1) I can't say as I don't listen to this type of music, but I agree with JohhnyCasaba about the classic rock.

2) I have them in my basement which is irregularly shaped which has the 14ftx16ftx8.5ft room completely open to a 35ftx20ftx8.5ft on the left and they can fill this area.

3) you will probably want a sub. There are times when the 170s by themselves just don't extend deep enough.

4) I am using the little brother, the NAD T742, and I think it matches very well.

5) I can't comment as I haven't heard the Linns.

SomeDood
01-22-2004, 12:24 AM
Hey there,

Let's see, I listen to alot of metal, newer and older. Some recorded well and some not so well. Some of the bands i listen to are Metallica, Iron Maiden, Blind Guardian,Iced earth, Quo Vadis and opeth etc etc etc. The ascends sound excellent with almost all of these bands.

The first thing you will notice about the ascends (well its what i first noticed) is that they are very, very quick- meaning that they will produce the most detailed of music very clearly and effortlessly.The bass, well what little there is sounds nice and tight, but besides that they dont go very low ( theyre not made to).

I dont use a subwoofer, but if you need or really want bass then id get one.

azanon
01-22-2004, 02:27 AM
1)They are not full range, so for rock I'd either have to recommend getting a sub as well or choosing a different speaker. IMHO, rock really needs that deep grundge sound to go with it, and you're just not going to get that from the 170s alone.
2)Just fine.
3)See #1

Sire404
01-22-2004, 03:52 AM
Thanks guys for the help, you really helped me decide. Now I know that a sub is defenitely a must-have for me, and that the speakers will kick my ass. I will probably order one of the complete surround kits with 170s for fronts.

Cheers!
//Sire

-------------------------------------------------------------
Everything I know, I learned by killing smart people and eating their brains.