PDA

View Full Version : Room treatment panels

leon55
04-23-2007, 12:53 PM
Anyone using room treatments? How do you know where to place the panels! Brother in law just installed his and he swears by them. Who did you buy your panels from?

BradJudy
04-23-2007, 01:26 PM
A lot of people DIY panels with OC703 or similar sound absorbing insulation.

If you aren't into DIY, then check out GIK Acoustics. They have good prices, good service and the products seem pretty good (I saw them in several rooms at the last RMAF).

nguay
04-23-2007, 02:48 PM
I ordered my panels from gik acoustics and ats acoustics. The people at GIK were very helpful and with some pictures were able to help me come up with a plan for treating my room. They're panels are also very reasonably priced. I needed some smaller panels for my back wall and I ordered those from ats. I am happy with both although the GIK panels seem to be of higher quality.

Kingrsl
04-23-2007, 05:17 PM
Not trying to hijack your thread but I have a question about room treatments. How would someone know if they needed them? Do they do the same thing as an EQ? I flattened my room response with my EQ but if I would benefit from some treatments, I'm open to the idea.

leon55
04-24-2007, 02:03 PM
A lot of people DIY panels with OC703 or similar sound absorbing insulation.

If you aren't into DIY, then check out GIK Acoustics. They have good prices, good service and the products seem pretty good (I saw them in several rooms at the last RMAF).

Do you have any links for the DiY kits? Thanks. Oh yeah, how did you decide where to put yours?

gagamaggot
04-25-2007, 05:54 AM
Mine are from ATS Acoustics. Much cheaper than others even if they aren't as pretty. (If you are an Ascend owner, then you already value function over form.)

I treated all of my primary and secondary reflections with 2" panels and placed 4" panels w/o backs in the front room corners for bass traps.

You can read the articles on Audioholics.com for a quick and dirty education. Search for "Jon Risch" and "ethan winer" for DIY info. Buy the Alton Everest book for a real education.

Are they worth it? YES. In my room the channel seperation and high frequency smoothness are greatly improved.

leon55
04-26-2007, 01:15 PM
Mine are from ATS Acoustics. Much cheaper than others even if they aren't as pretty. (If you are an Ascend owner, then you already value function over form.)

I treated all of my primary and secondary reflections with 2" panels and placed 4" panels w/o backs in the front room corners for bass traps.

You can read the articles on Audioholics.com for a quick and dirty education. Search for "Jon Risch" and "ethan winer" for DIY info. Buy the Alton Everest book for a real education.

Are they worth it? YES. In my room the channel seperation and high frequency smoothness are greatly improved.

Nice handle, thanks for the info, but was still curious as to how you determined where in the corners you put these panels. Do you install them all the way up the walls or in the top of the corners, or will it matter?

gagamaggot
04-26-2007, 09:28 PM
I used panels w/o backs in the front corners as bass traps only because I did not have enough space to put tube traps there. Given enough room, I would have placed 16" versions of Jon Risch's DIY Tube Traps floor to ceiling.

After that, follow the advice in the following link to identify where to place absorbtion panels. It is the exact method I used to place my ATS 2" panels.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/learningcenter/home/speakers_roomacoustics.html

This is as good as it gets without laying out serious money for a professional assessment. Plus, I'll bet this will get you to at least 80% or better to professional results.

I'll try to post a pic tomorrow.

leon55
04-27-2007, 02:36 PM
Thanks alot, that link was right on and made alot of sense. I will be doing some testing in the next few days to see if I can fine tune my sound, again thanks for the link.