PDA

View Full Version : System upgrade questions

CT_Jeff
04-20-2007, 12:54 PM
Hello everyone, this is my first post here. My question is:

Here is my current situation. My room is 12 feet deep by 18.5 feet wide and 15.5 feet high with a vaulted ceiling. The walls are wood, the floor is wood, at one end the room is mostly glass from floor to ceiling, the other end is a brick fireplace from floor to ceiling. There is a walk area next to the fireplace and an opening of approximately 9 feet to the kitchen on the left side of the TV. Not a very neutral audio room.

The TV is against one wall and the viewing/listening area is against the opposite wall with 9 feet between them.

I am running the **** system with a Yamaha R-V1103 receiver. (My current plan includes the purchase of the Yamaha RX-V2700 Receiver) I am considering purchasing a 3 of HTM-200 Home theater monitors and trying them out replacing the **** L/R front speakers with the HM-200's and then changing out the **** center speaker. This would include the rest of the **** speakers still functioning. I am not sure if this would be a good "test" of your speakers or not. I would wire them directly from the receiver in these tests, not utilizing the wiring from the Acoustimass Module. I am not sure if HTM-200's would be recommended as L/C/R and surrounds for a room this size or not. I have also thought about doing the same with the 340's. Just not sure on which way to go.

Any thoughts would certainly be appreciated. Was not sure if I should post this is the loudspeaker area or here in the Setup area.

Jeff

bikeman
04-20-2007, 02:25 PM
I own both the 340's and 200's. There is considerable difference in the two but considering where you're coming from with the current system, the 200's would be a major improvement. If you can afford it, the 340's will reward you. If size or budget is an issue, the 200's will not disappoint.
Definitely ditch the module if running other speakers.

David

drewface
04-20-2007, 03:33 PM
That's quite a room you've got to work with there... :D

i've never heard the 200s, but i have the 340s and 170s, both of which are outstanding. like david said, there is a considerate difference between the 340s and 200s, so it really comes down to size and budget.

on a side note, i just noticed that **** is automatically filtered as a naughty word. :eek: i always thought users on this board were editing their posts as an inside joke or something, but it runs deeper than that, i guess... i think it's hilarious :cool:

CT_Jeff
04-22-2007, 12:42 PM
Thank you for the responses from bikeman, and drewface.

The room is a challenge that is for sure. Maybe someday I will be able to have a dedicated Home Theater room, but for now that is what I have. My hope is to make it sound better than it does with my current speaker system.

I think I will order three of the 200's and try them out in the front, wiring the three fronts directly from the receiver and leaving the acoustimas in place along with the current rears and see what I think.

If after that I can order more 200's or then move to the 340's up front and move the 200's to the rear.

Breaking it down helps with the dollars and especially with the CFO (wife).

One other question though, is getting the unfinished speakers and trying to apply a good real wood veneer a viable option. Is there an additional cost for the unfinished option, I know there is for the optional colors. This is a suggestion by the CFO, in her additional roll as interior (Manager) designer.

Thank you in advance for all your assistance.

CT_Jeff

OK, just as an update. I did order the 3 200's yesterday with expected delivery of 2 May. I will then try to find the correct spot to review how I did with the change out of the front 3 speakers.

Thanks again for the responses. And thanks to James @ ascend.

CT_Jeff
05-03-2007, 07:03 AM
As an additional update. I ordered my 200's and they came in yesterday! I only had time to try the center speaker last night and all I can say is wow! I will put my additional thoughts in the speaker area.
Jeff Seeley