PDA

View Full Version : Usb Turntable

jvillas
04-16-2007, 07:24 PM
Hi, I would like to find out if anybody has tried or is using a USBTurntable. I love the idea of converting vinyl to cd or mp3. I did not even know that this existed till today. I heard about it today on NPR(National Public Radio). They also said that the sound quality may be a little tinny. I have no idea how long this has been available. I'm very curious.

tamuct
04-17-2007, 09:07 AM
I haven't tried any of the USB turntables because I had an old Realistic direct-drive turntable given to me a while back. I just bought a phono pre-amp and connected it to the line-in on my computer's sound card. So far, my results have been great. I use Adobe Audition to do the recording and subsequent cleanup of the album before burning it to CD.

I've done over 50 albums this way and my father-in-law and grandfather have been impressed with the results. (The albums were theirs, but since they no longer have a turntable I volunteered to convert them for them.)

I imagine that the USB turntables could be good for this purpose as long as the A/D converter is a decent quality. I'd hope that at $160 (the one I saw cost that much) it would be pretty good.

drewface
04-17-2007, 02:11 PM
i've never had any experience with usb turntables, but Numark has one that you can find online for around $130. I have a Numark turntable that i've been very happy with, and the company was very easy to deal with and courteous when i needed some replacement parts (something fell off the shelf above the turntable for some unknown reason...) so if you're looking into a product like this, i'd be comfortable recommending Numark.

jvillas
04-17-2007, 04:17 PM
Thanks tamuct,and drewface seems i'll be doing some homework finding some specs,maybe get to see and hear one of these units.