PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed Ascend owner :(

curtis
01-18-2004, 01:21 PM
Yeah...of course they are not for everyone.

What other speakers has he listened to? That's what I would be interested in.

-curtis

ClutchBrake
01-18-2004, 02:30 PM
To each his own, but that does suck. Perhaps the problem lies in his overall setup rather than a single component (be it speakers or receiver settings). Just ask azanon how much difference a short calibration session can make. :-)

spiffnme
01-19-2004, 07:39 AM
If all the speakers he's listened to failed to impress, it sure sounds like the issue is probably not the speakers. I'm guessing room layout and speaker positioning.

The other day somebody on the Axiom forum posted a message saying he had bought the M3ti bookshelf speakers and VP100 center channel. He posted his impressions and was very dissapointed. He said they sounded muddy, and not clear at all. When asked about his room and layout he let us know that the VP100 was 6' high (approx 3-4' above ear level) and the M3ti's were also in horrible positions. We made some placement suggestions, and he reported back the next day that he LOVED the speakers, and had never heard such clarity before.

Your co-worker should have asked some people in the know for help before sending them back! I've heard the 170s and they're great!

Cliff_L
01-19-2004, 12:44 PM
Yeah, that's why I was so disappointed. I wish he would have told me when he had them and then I could've made sure everything was setup properly or positioned better.

The other thing I've thought of is that perhaps his ear wasn't as "musically" sensitive as some people - hence the fact that he didn't hear much difference. I know that until I seriously started listening to speakers closely that I didn't really think they sounded all that different.

And I do admit that depending on what I do play on my 170s, some stuff sounds better than others. Plus I don't know all the details on what he listened to, how long he had the speakers for, etc.

JohnnyCasaba
01-19-2004, 01:17 PM
Cliff,

Maybe have him over for a proper demo to see if his opinions change.

cjsparky
02-05-2004, 04:34 AM
Hey Cliff, Maybe you should recommend your friend talk to the guys at AV123, and see how the Rocket sound suits him/her

Christian