PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer Assistance Please

jvillas
04-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Hi, I seem unable to get my subwwofer to blend well with my 170's in a 2.1 set-up. As it is used now I will turn it off from time to time.

The subwoofer I am using is the PSB Alpha Sub- Zero, an 8" front loaded, front ported design. This subwoofer I was using with a pair of PSB 25s, and they worked well together.

My current set-up is with the Ascends 6.5ft. apart with the subwoofer just left center between the Ascends and 3.5 ft behind. The subwoofer crossover is set at 80Hrz, and the volume is at 9o'clock. The floor in my apartment are hardwood.

This is what I hear with the subwoofer on, a boommimg, heavy handed sound with little clear definition,an apparent contradiction to the Ascends. I have reduced the volume to just barely audible, to get rid of the boom, and have tried different subwoofer locations, but with the same results.

Is this just a bad match-up?
Is there anything else I can do to tame this subwoofer?

I'll add that the PSB25s are about to be given to my girlfriend and eventually the subwoofer too.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Gov
04-11-2007, 10:53 AM
Get the Auralex gramma isolation riser, it works well in my set up which is on carpet. It is supposed to be even better on a hardwood floor.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GRAMMA/

bikeman
04-11-2007, 12:18 PM
Get the Auralex gramma isolation riser, it works well in my set up which is on carpet. It is supposed to be even better on a hardwood floor.
I have one of these on 90 year old hardwood floors and it works great. The floors were a real issue when I first got a sub.

David

jvillas
04-11-2007, 12:18 PM
Thanks Gov, I see we live in the same area, do you know if Auralex is available at retail in Chicagoland, or only online? Thanks for your help.

Gov
04-11-2007, 07:12 PM
I got mine from Guitar Center in Algonquin

jvillas
04-11-2007, 08:19 PM
Thanks again Gov. There is a Guitar Center very near to me.

Gov
04-11-2007, 11:33 PM
Sure...hope it works out for you!

shane55
04-23-2007, 11:10 PM
www.sweetwater.com.
Great store, great service, great prices.
This is where I got all my isolation pads including my SubDude. I have it under my SVS sub. It made quite a difference.

Good luck!

shane

Grayson73
04-26-2007, 02:02 PM

Why are these needed on carpet? Do you have carpets on top of hardwood floor?

Gov
04-26-2007, 03:35 PM
Why are these needed on carpet? Do you have carpets on top of hardwood floor?

They help a bit on carpet as well, but make more of a difference on a hard surface floor. So, to answer your question, they are not really a need, but more of a "small tweak".

pegleg
04-27-2007, 10:35 AM
When I got my HSU sub, Dr. Hsu recommended I just put a small rug under the sub (on bare wooden floors) and that has worked.

Pegleg